Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lake Manatee State Park, Apr. 2-3-4
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
As I said in other posts, Suzie and I will be going to "The Lake" over Easter weekend.
http://www.floridastateparks.o...emanatee/default.cfm
We'll be in site 16. 18 & 19 are still open. Here's site 16, behind is about 100 yards of prairie then the lake.

Nice boat ramp, decent biking and very private sites. Quiet, kind of rustic, and relaxing.
Not trying to make a big party of it or anything, but if anyone is looking for a get-away for that weekend, we'll be there.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Durn! Messed around for a couple days and 16 was gone. We're in 18, and just a few left for that weekend.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that Suzie and I will be at the lake this weekend just kicking back and relaxing, so if you're in the area and have nothing to do, stop by and say hi.

79 Barth Classic

Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Had a very nice weekend at the lake. Will post some pix soon. I know some parks are 55+ etc. I wonder if any could become English speaking only. Totally non PC, but they sure can screw up an otherwise pleasant stay. I saw this in the Keys 20 years ago and hoped it would never get this far north. Wishful thinking! Whoops! After reading this post I realized I may be inferring that our Quobec friends are something less than desirable, which couldn't be further from the truth. Like all Canadiens, they can't drive worth a sh... awe heck, just kill me now, I never know when to shut up.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Boy, I thought I was the trouble maker in the family. Big Grin

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of T&T&B
posted Hide Post
Now Danny, SOME Canadians do know how to drive. As for the Quebecois, they are truly a different breed, one that stands on their own. Years ago, they tried to separate from the rest of Canada, maybe hmm

MOST of them can speak English, they choose not to. Canada has had a mandate in place for several years, and it is still in place (I think), government jobs require that you be bilingual in both French and English. You have the right to be heard in the language of your choice. Quality of employees is compromised in order to fill the bilingual bill.

Thing that scares me, is, I see it happening here, only with the Spanish issue. Someday, I know it's gonna be on a ballot and all us unilingual folks are gonna be too busy defending our homes, and rights, to vote, and it's gonna get rammmed down our throats. That will not be a pretty day.

I know SOME French, and I know SOME Spanish, but I am no way even close to bilingual, I don't mind asking or answering the odd question, but, I draw the line when it becomes NECESSARY for me to speak in any other language to do something. Come on down to the center of the state anytime, bring your dictionary, you'll see what I mean. Shields Up

I gotta go, just gonna get in trouble here......Sounds like you nice Easter weekend, so that's a good thing.

Tina

36' Barth Regency
3208 Cat 250 HP
Allison 4 speed Transmission, Gillig Chassis
"If it ain't a CAT it's a DOG"

Posts: 142 | Location: South Florida - La Belle | Member Since: 03-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
More often than not, I've been on the other end of the stick. I find myself only conversant in English in another country where they speak something "foreign". I try to be polite and understanding that I'm; a) the odd one out and b) carrying a not so cool reputation from those Americans that passed before me.

What I find more different than the actual language are the customs that people bring with them (or me to them). It is usually not the language that is so offensive, but the loudness, infringement of space, lack of realization of those around them. Although I'm not defending specific actions, this is usually a product of the environment they are from and is absolutely normal to them. They aren't trying to be offensive, it's just their nature!

I'm reminded of last winter's Hillsborough Gathering where a guy crashed our party saying we were too loud even though it was well before the quiet time. Somehow he felt a right to be offended and we felt a right to be happy and boisterous. So it even can happen within cultures.

What's the secret to karma? Usually something unpredictable and off-center. Visit their campsite with a Gorilla mask on, offer them a box of Oreo cookies with the frosting licked off, bring your Spanish dictionary to the French speakers and try to translate English into Spanish and watch them try to convince you they are French (do reverse for Spanish speakers). The end result is often the same, they steer very clear of you and get very much quieter.

Their is one other tactic to employ, simply join them. I once was getting irritated at the loud and brash Italians on a cruise ship, but after a few Margaritas I just invited myself in to the group and had a blast. I held celebrity status with them all for the whole week even though we never communicated one thought through words. Loosen up a little and the world becomes a little smaller Razzer

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
Loosen up a little and the world becomes a little smaller Razzer
cheers Beer/Alcohol... The universal language.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I find more different than the actual language are the customs that people bring with them (or me to them). It is usually not the language that is so offensive, but the loudness, infringement of space, lack of realization of those around them. Although I'm not defending specific actions, this is usually a product of the environment they are from and is absolutely normal to them. They aren't trying to be offensive, it's just their nature!

Well put!

79 Barth Classic