Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ed Gilmores Alaska Trip
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
Ed Gilmore is a man of few words but has been a member of Barthmobile since the beginning.

He has a nice 40 foot 1987 Barth that he has no trouble taking anywhere and recently he took it to Alaska.

DROVE UP THRU THE YUKON ON HIGHWAY 37, 240 miles gravel pulling my v.w. diesel camped at jakes corner and drove v w to Ketch Can and then back re hooked up and drove to Fairbanks setting up camp at riverview camp grd. UN hooked and drove to Deadhorse 499 miles not much there, snow cold and it's may 22, just a lot of construction traiers some made into motel etc.drove back seeing grizzlies. black, carrabou, goats, sheep, artic fox, lynx, moose, deer, porcupine.
In 6 wks. we drove the little car 3300 miles aand flew 1000, Nome AND FERRIED FROM VALDEZ-- WHITTIER AND DROVE ONTO ANCHORAGE, then back to Fairbanks. we drove all thru Denalli Park, visited dog sled family and saw demos using wheels no snow in Fairbanks just way north and at altitude.
We drove the whole 800 plus miles of pipe line, crawled all over dreges and panned for gold on a private claim not commercial and made some very good and warm friends.

alot of fun saw a 34 foot gas Barth puller lives in Fox ak couldn't get him involved oh well .
heck of good trip

ED

And following are some photos of his journey:

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 10, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited August 10, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Wow! Is that really a map of the trip? If so, that is just awesome! How long (miles and days) did this trip consume? Barrows? That’s tundra territory! Somehow this trip had to be made over the “warm months”. I’d love to hear more about it. Any challenges to driving that trip?

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Mike now that I look closer, I don't think that is Ed's trip. That is the map he sent me and I think it's just pointing out that he went to Alaska. I have emailed him asking him for more details which I will post as soon as I get them.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Geeze! That Barth looks long enough to have its own bowling alley.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
I think that some of the towns I saw pointed to on that map is only accessable by plane.. I don't that up in the Barrow area there are many roads Not too far north from Fairbanks the road is mostly for oil well trucks and you have to get permission to travel on them. I spent about a month up there in 97...Very nice trip. 4980 miles from Pittsburgh to Ancorage Would like to go back!

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I just added Ed's itinerary

------------------