Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Off to the East Coast on Sunday
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
The head gasket is on and has about 100 miles on it, no leaks drips, temperature is quite stable even at 100 degrees outside.

Have had some ongoing transmission issues, but I think we are OK for this trip, changed the trans fluid all 5 gallons of Transynd(sp)had some very fine brass or bronze particles come out when changing the filters that I didn't notice on the last filter change---Allison says if it is a teaspoon full then it is time, wasn't that bad at all but a little disconcerting. The maintenance wasn't good for the first 70K miles, fluid was never changed and that is about 3 times longer then Allison recommends with regular ATF. We will see!

Have to get a lb of R12 put in, when moving the compressor for the head gasket change, noticed a slight hiss by one of the hoses that is clamped to the pipe to the compressor, hmmm, that is where the R12 is going! tightened all the clamps and hopefully this will settle for this trip and I can get about to do a hard line conversion after our return.

Will be going fairly straight to Chicago area for the following weekend class reunion and family visits, then to Ann Arbor MI area more family visits, then to the NE to find a really good spot to view the leaf color changes, (recommendations???!!!) one of the wifey's dream RV trip, then on down to the DC GTG. Will probably be in the DC area around the 4th-5th.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to stay long at the GTG. I am on the staff of the Texas Mile racing event and they added an extra day so it starts one day earlier. I have to be at Golied TX no later then the afternoon of the 14th.

From TX, a leisurely drive back to the Home Base.

We will have internet while on the road and I will check in periodically.

Looking forward to meeting those of you who will be at the DC GTG and those that may be close to our route.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Be careful.. Have a great trip.. and we will see you soon.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Nick, and I suspect you need R-134a...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, R12, never made the conversion, and don't intend to!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure R12 is legal any more, & good luck in finding it. Several years ago I needed a new compressor for my van, but I couldn't find anyone who would evacuate the R12 & save it for me. I did find a source for R12, legal or not, but the price almost made the entire conversion to 134a worthwhile. I did the conversion because, once done, there would be no future problems finding refrigerant.

Unless the rules have changed, it's likely R12 is still difficult to find. I understand some scammers have canned propane, & passed it off as R12, & a few years ago, there were one or more companies that advocated propane in lieu of R12. Not very safe.

If you're going to re-do your lines, you might as well do the whole conversion. It wasn't that big a deal once I got into it. I had to replace the oil in the system with oil compatible with R134a, & I replaced all the hoses as part of the conversion kit.

R134a is supposedly less effective in transferring heat, but I didn't notice any difference in the effectiveness of the a/c after the conversion.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
re, R12 try some flea markets a can that cost about 4 bucks in the day may cost 30 to 40 bucks now the conversion might be more practical
good luck

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have well over 70 lbs of R12 and am a licensed handler. It is legal if you are licensed to work with it and i can buy it as long as I am licensed.

There are other refrigerants coming along, even R134a will be phased out soon. I will wait until the dust settles on this issue before I make any conversion.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
...then on down to the DC GTG. Will probably be in the DC area around the 4th-5th.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to stay long at the GTG.
When are you leaving the WDC-GTG?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have any a target yet, but I would think that we would have to leave Late Saturday (Oct 10)or VERY early Sunday morning. That would give us 3 1/2 days to get to Golied TX (just north of Corpus Cristi).

Haven't plotted the route yet but will do so one of these evenings while on the road.

As we pass thru upstate NY are you anywhere close?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
In New Hampshire, my favorite spot (other than my own road and back 50) is the Kangamagus Highway and camping at either Jigger Johnson, (around site 50) or Hancock (sites 43-50) campgrounds.
Jigger Johnson has no cell or satellite service available. Hancock can work, but difficult.
Both are primitive camping, water from central water supply and no electricity or dump stations.
I have space for an overnight visitor and can give 20 amp electricity. The colors are fantastic when they occur.

WMNF Campgrounds

This is my road home in October

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Have a safe trip. We are looking forward to seeing you at the D.C. GTG! Way back when the idea for a D.C. GTG first started kicking around, I promised some fuel money for the Barth that traveled the furtherest to be there...looks like I'm bringing 100 bucks for you Thumbs Up!!!
p.s. I could use some of that R-12 Wink

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Nope, R12, never made the conversion, and don't intend to!

Odd - mine was OEM with R-134a - and was built before yours.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First stop, Wendover NV, home of the Bonneville salt flats. This morning looks like we have some reall big rain showers to go thru, Will make a stop at the copper mine in Salt Lake area and then continue East bound. Probably will be in Cheyenne WY tonight.

Bruce and Kathleen, Sorry I didn't see your post until we were well on our way, coulda put the R12 canister and equipment in had I known. Don't know where I would have been able to put it, we are FULL with all the timing equipment I need for the Texas Mile on out way back.

Rusty, Maybe because you have a GM power train, early '90s were the transition years, My early BMWs some didn't have R-134a until 92-93 and others (same time period) didn't have the conversion until '94-95. IIRC GM made the transition earlier then most.

My Breakaway has a LOT of differences from the earlier ones.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Ed,
Just kidding about the R-12. The dash A/C in the Barth has not worked since I bought it. I'm not even sure that it is R-12 or R-134. Never bothered with it because I felt it wouldn't do much anyway. I just run my generator and the roof top unit to cool down the cabin.
Now, as far as R-12 for the collector car A/C units..... Roll Eyes
Have a safe trip and I am REALLY looking forward to seeing you in Washington D.C.!!! To think, a Barth making the trip across country Big Grin....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Cheyenne WY last night and will be going on later this AM Some rain but not bad, Hate the rain in the Salt Lake area as it has a heavy salt content, at least the road spray does and don't like that under the coach. Need a heavy wash in the next days or another heavy rain further into the Midwest.

Things running well and have been averaging over 10 MPG, highest one leg so far was 11.9 MPG. We stop for fuel about every 300-400 miles a bit of walking/stretching and then onward.

Should be in Lincoln NE this evening.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater