Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

On the way toTexas
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
We are on the way to Goliad TX where I do timing and scoring for the Texas Mile next week end. This is a 1 mile "drag race" except it is not side by side, just one car at a time, trying to see the maximum speed at the end of 1 mile. No elapse time just MPH at the end. This is the last time they will do this at Goliad as the Navy has just used "emanate domain" to take the abandon air base back. The race promoters have another site but it is not announced yet. I will be doing this 3 time this year. In addition to doing the Texas Mile, I also time and score the Big Bend Open Road Race at Ft Stockton TX. The Barth will get a lot of miles this year.

We are in Las Vegas now getting ready to head out to the South and East. Really WINDY now. Will have a late brunch and get going.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the way down from Las Vegas to I10, we stopped in at Walnut Grove, AZ to visit with Bill H and Susan! Had a mini West Coast Barth GTG.

THANKS Bill, Susan for your wonderful warm hospitality and nourishment! Will be one of the highlights of our adventure for sure!

We are now at a rest stop between Benson and Willcox AZ. Seems Benso Wal-Mart now has posted "no RV or truck over night parking" Oh well!

Onward tomorrow to El Paso.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ed, you got outta Dodge just in time. The next day, we drove in a heavy snowstorm from Skull Valley all the way through Prescott and eastward. Even the snowflakes on the 4WD allowed a little slippy-slidey. First time I drove in snow since I quit skiing.

Fortunately, for our evening return trip, they sanded the frozen downhill part.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew! Yeah, sounds like it! Weather when we left stayed pretty much overcast until we got below Phoenix. Got the Barth washed in Elroy, got rid of all the desert dust, sure looks nice now!

Wind was a factor, fairly strong, occasional strong gusts and was right quartering. Mileage was right at 10.0 MPG, drove 65 most of the way. If I drove my usual 70-75, it would have been in the mid 9s.

We are in Beeville TX now and tomorrow I set up at Goliad county airport for the Texas Mile shootout. Will return home starting Sunday night after the event.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to take some pix at the mile Ed. We like things that go fast.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will try Danny. I was going to take videos this time but did not find the right camera. I think someone there will have good shots.

I usually am glued to the timing equipment and don't have a lot of bandwidth but, this time I am training their people to work with my equipment. All of the equipment is at least redundant and in some areas (laser measuring devices) triple redundant. I have to get redundancy for me, it is a long trek down here and things can go wrong getting here so I have to develop a backup.

Heading to the airport in an hour to get set up. Things get crazy starting this afternoon. We have 230 participants registered and it is a 3 day event. if it stays a bit on the cool side and little wind, we will see some big speed numbers.

Unfortunately, the Navy has taken the base back so this will be the last time at this location. The promoters have a different site located for May's event but have been quiet where it is being held.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
First day finished, 460 runs no issues except some broken iron!

The promoter has gotten a timing trailer for me and my crew so it is very comfortable with no worries about wind blowing the computers and no glare from the intense spring sun.

Today is the busiest with the most activity, I expect to have over 500 runs today. Sunday can go either way but is usually busy in the morning and then people start to pack up and go home in the afternoon

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater