First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
quote:
as a desert racer, trees scare me

Did you catch the video above Bill?

No, my connection here is too slow for video. Next time we hitch up the team and go to town, I will bring the laptop and find a wi fi spot.

I am not the only desert rider scared of trees. I remember a social function after an AMA National event out here where one of the Penton kids regaled the attendees with his impression of a District 37 rider and his first encounter with a tree. I think he exaggerated a little to make it funnier, but I was comforted to know that I was not the only one.

The other side of this is that at one of the ISDT events, (the first with an American team) the best riders in the world were absolutely slack-jawed at how fast the California entrants went in the sand, literally leaping over slower riders when the terrain allowed. I think it was some Ekins brothers and Steve McQueen. They had NO IDEA that such a thing could be done.

Trees also scared me skiing, too.. When cross country skiing, I always let a partner lead the way on the fast downhills in the forests.

When younger, I was foolishly brave on downhill forest runs, but avoided injury. Some of my friends were less fortunate. Except one guy. He met his future wife after she had skied into a tree at an airline ski meet. Smiler He was so busy looking after her that our team was short in some events.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Did you catch the video... ?
I thought it was an image - here it is, it's embedded on our site.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not the only desert rider scared of trees.

You do realize our trees don't have 4" needles on them like those I see in the desert (at least when the coyote chases the roadrunner) Wink

I spent 4 hours today up in Croom Riding are in Withlacoochee State Park. I met up with another "old guy" and we chased each other through the pine trees making our own trails. The best fun I've had up in Croom yet. Pine needles are much better than sugar sand!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I guess it boils down to what terrain you are used to and what skills you develop.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Whenever I make it out your way I want to ride the desert with you. I always feel better riding with someone that knows the terrain. Especially where the canyons open up and stuff like that.

If I have one unfulfilled dream, it's to run the Paris-Dakar rally. Lots of desert there.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post