Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

'77 goes to NASCAR
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted
Well, we were planning to leave for the race in Brooklyn, MI at 10:00am on Thursday and actually left about noon. After meeting my mom in Gaylord to take 1-Thirteen year-old(Quentin) and 2- Schnauzers (Gretta & Doc), also replacing 2- 6-volt for 2- 12-volt Batteries. On our way the Generator quit, of course we discovered when stopping for gas 130 miles later it was just a low fuel situation(82.7 gals.).

As we came out of the gas station to get in the Barth there was a couple standing at the back of the coach. The man looked at Jeff and said "Do you know what that is?". His wife wondered out loud who owned it. And her husband explained that, what we were looking at was a Barth. So we invited them in to look around. She said she was jealous; They said they had always wanted a Barth; even toured the factory once. We said good-bye and they walked over to a Brand-new Newmar(38' pusher) and were on their way. Our friends that were following us were in awe over the whole thing.

We continued on and got to our campsite and set-up.

All and all everything went great. Still trying to figure out the 12V system. Jeff will go under the coach today to attempt tracking a short.

As we left the campground the brake caliper, on the drivers side steer, hung up. No place to pull over for several miles and evenually ground itself down. Stopped to try and get it repaired with no luck. I never realized how hard it is to get service on an RV. Truck stop wont work on it, Chevy dealer wont work on it. We limped her home and will do the work here. All the way down and back we saw no less then 8 newer RV's on the side of the road and the Barth just purred on past....going not a problem, just stopping.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff & Joy:
So we invited them in to look around. She said she was jealous; They said they had always wanted a Barth; even toured the factory once. We said good-bye and they walked over to a Brand-new Newmar(38' pusher) and were on their way. Our friends that were following us were in awe over the whole thing.
I know what you mean. My friends, who go with me to the races, are amazed at the same thing you just stated.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it and had a good time. In my original response to your bringing it home post, I told you, and now I'm screaming at you, IT'S NOT THE CALIPER!! OK, if you replaced all the rubber brake lines I stand corrected, but I have NEVER heard of a caliper sticking, but I've heard more rubber line nightmares than I can put in the space allotted. The caliper locks down on the disc and won't release, or releases very slowly, so the first thing everybody says is the caliper is sticking, when in reality the old rubber brake lines are swelled shut inside, holding the fluid in the caliper instead of allowing it to flow back to the reservoir. The reason it goes to the caliper in the first place is it's under a tremendous amount of pressure going in that direction, but under very little pressure returning. OK that's enough of being a repetetive nutcase. Hope to see you at Dega or Daytona sometime in the future, and enjoy that beautiful coach.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Jeff and Joy, please listen to Danny. I had the exact problem on my Barth and it was the brake line. Replaced the brake line and never had another episode with sticking caliper.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
in reality the old rubber brake lines are swelled shut inside

Is this just an age factor or the result of something else?....fluid change, hard braking & hot fluid, etc?.....

I haven't had this problem....yet, but then again, I don't know how old my flex lines are either........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Danny is right. It is usually not the caliper. Please change the hose first. It's cheaper then a caliper and if it doesn't work you'll still have a new hose on your new caliper. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Jeff told me he had checked all the brake lines and they were not sticking anymore. Will ask again, he is a 'former' Marine and does not take orders from 'civilians' very well.

Lets hope for his sake your no right Danny.

Would love to go to a race at another track someday!

And Lee, it could be an age factor, I know on Saturday morning my lines seemed a bit 'clogged', I think it was a combination of age, the Nu-tone blender, and Jose. lol

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
He bled the brake lines and was getting plenty of fluid, this making it seem as the lines were clear. Jeff says we will put new a caliper ($24.00)and replace the lines; just to be safe.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
P30 calipers can drag, overheat, and even stick if not cleaned and properly lubed so they can slide left-to-right freely.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Ok, one more post from the brake line freak. You either disconned a brake line or opened a bleader, then checked flow. Was the engine running? If so, the pressure was sufficient to show a good flow of fluid through the rubber hoses going to the caliper. I'm not trying to show what a brainiac I am here, I'm just trying to save you some unneeded expense, since I've been there, done that. Glad to hear you are replacing the lines. A good flush and bleed should fix you up for many years of racing. [Some of these people use their Barths for something else, but I haven't figured out why yet] ROTFLMAO

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Hey Danny, mine goes to the races. Radio Controlled Car races that is, does that count?

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Mary, I can't wait to have your classic parked next to ours at a GTG. The racing thing isn't that big of a deal, but I wish I could be there to see you woop up on these guys on the go cart track at the Choo choo GTG.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
No, No we appreciate whatever you've got. Keep the advice coming. Even if we know what should be done and it seems to obvious to post; every now and again we get a little over-whelmed and skip the easy fix. So, assume nothing!