Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heading south soon
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
It sure is slow here on the website! I was going to wait until I had a few photos but I'll post them later.

Another single digit morning. It has been tough to get much done on 86Barth. At least we haven't had too much snow. Can't wait to head south. Tooling Along

Shoveled the roof a few days a go. Dug out the kayaks and tied them on the roof. Hung the bicycles on the rear rack. They look out of place in the snow...

I have installed 2 Plexiglass double pane inserts in the side bedroom windows. I will put another in the rear window soon. I will have photos soon.

I am partway through the install of the 2nd coach heater, running water lines and making ducts. More photos to follow.

I still have only 15 miles on the new 454 engine. I was really hoping to get a few break in miles on before heading to Florida. Too cold and too much salt lately. head bang

When it gets up near freezing I'll finish these and post them. mechanic

Can't wait to climb aboard and blast off. Leaving here around Feb 10 for downstate, then a few days later we will escape to the south! Cool Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing you again. Doug has a few kayaks and we have bicycles and great bike trails just blocks away. Hope you can spend a little time here on your way south. I can move the Euro and you can have the RV pad, so no park fees! Let us know when the time gets closer.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Danny, be careful what you ask for! We would definitely like to catch you folks on the way to the Keys.

We have reservations for the last week of Feb at Everglades City, then on to the Keys for March. We are thinking of heading south around the 14th and spend a week on the road. A couple days in Venice would be real nice. I will call you when we get closer to the time.

We always have a good time with you. We'll toast our old friends Lenny and Judy, make plans for another Hillsborough GTG in Dec.

If it doesn't work for Feb, we'll be heading north (slowly!) in April. See you later. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
To: Steve VW, Kevin, Mogan David, & the rest of you well above the Mason Dixon!!!!

PROPER ATTIRE REQUIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dressed for the day here in South Florida on February 1. Getting ready for the Super Bowl. Oh and that's a tomato juicy type concoction in the glass. Happy 51st Anniversary to Donna and I. Seems like we spent number 50 down here also. cheers

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You must have made it to Port St. Lucie OK. Did you get the generator part? Never got above 73° here today.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Lookin' good! Thumbs Up cheers

Man… zero degrees here, Detroit's getting a foot. I'm trying to get a way out of here… head bang

I'm sooo tired of winter. Why am I here? You guys have the right idea. (I feel like Scarlet O'Hara, "With God as my witness, I'll never be COLD again!) I swear I will leave MUCH earlier next year.

The tomato juice looks good. I'll bring a few bottles of the "additive" with me, too.

Can't wait to see you and Donna again. If we miss you on the way down hopefully we'll catch you on our way home. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Looks to me like you're enjoying being in the right place at the right time.

Being way south of the Mason Dixon Line sounds like a really good place to be this time of year!

I probably could wear shorts and a golf shirt too but my long johns would show. Smiler

Have a great trip and time, and no drag racing Steve. Tooling Along

Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
You're looking good, Nick.
When I was about to leave Zephyrhills, FL after spending DEC there, people were asking what park I was going to from the one I was in. I had to admit to them that I was so crazy that I was driving back to Michigan. They couldn't understand why I would do such a fool thing. It so happens that the park where I was is almost entirely booked year-to-year by the same people for Jan,Feb,Mar. I have committed to take the same lot I had both Nov and Dec, 2015.
Snow started here Sat night and continued till sometime Sun night, by which time it the drifts at my place (on driveway, deck and around spa) are up to my butt.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
We are south of I-10, Foley, AL. No shorts packed but no longies either. Looking to get another two weeks or so in before turning home from even further south.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Go south?

Miss all the fun in Minnesnowta? 11 below zero this morning pulling and replacing the submersible pump for our well. Oh what fun. There goes the budget!

Yall have fun. If you see a news report about a 6ft Cajun/Pollock Popsicle see if you recognize me. head bang

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Dana, I feel your pain. (Why don't those pumps ever fail in the summer?) head bang

I just can't win. We didn't get much snow for 2 weeks, lately every day. Meanwhile my house near Detroit got 14 inches of snow on Sunday. I had no place to park the coach, the streets are barely plowed and very narrow. Spent Tuesday driving there, took my big snowblower to clear out the drive and half the front yard. Snowbanks about 2 feet. At least I can park there now.

Meanwhile, we got 4 inches Wednesday and 4 more Thursday here in Kalkaska. Only 5 below zero last night. Sunshine today and up to 15 degrees! I am trying to pack the coach and finish last of the tweaks on the engine before the long haul south… if we ever get out. At least I have the tractor with cab to blow snow here.

You wouldn't know I shoveled the coach roof (2nd time) just yesterday. deadhorse

The bikes are loaded on the back, and kayaks on top look just a little out of place?

This is the secret weapon for working on Barth in the winter. That is the 2nd tank this winter… Doesn't help much underneath, though. head bang

Hoping for a break, I really don't want to put 86Barth through another salt bath.

to be continued

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, long winter here...had to wash the Barth's Winter Sweatshirt. At least next week I head south to escape this 64° weather...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm busting out. Heat wave today. 28 degrees. Haven't seen that since December.

Started right up, warmed it up, set the idle and backed it right out!
Another day of loading and I'll be ready to roll. Tooling Along

I might just make it if Mother Nature gives me a break on the snow for a few days. wack

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Have a safe trip down to the sunny south. It's been a little cool up in Tallahassee but we will be in the low 70's today and the weather at the house is going up to the high 70's the rest of the week so the snow should be melted off your roof by the time you get to Everglades City. Not sure which route your taking but the park I keep the coach at on Lake Talquin is reasonable and the folks that run it are very accommodating. It's about 5 hrs. to Danny's from here if your stopping in to see him and about 9 hrs. to Everglades City. We keep a small boat up here and the fishing is great.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It will be nice to get out of here. Assuming we get a break in the snow and get out midweek, we will have time to dawdle on our way south. Once we we have clear sailing we will be able to decide where to stop on the way. We will try to see as many friends as possible. Hard to make plans from this end.

Next year I'm thinking Hillsborough again. I have a sister who winters in Texas and I'm thinking visiting her for a while. I am not going to do this February icebox run again… too much hassle getting out and dodging mother nature. I am tired of waiting out the winter. We're not suffering by any means but it is such a nuisance. Most of the things I want to do involve being outdoors and using my hands and I'm getting bored waiting for the sun to come back.

With the coach up and running I have a few more projects then we plan to do some more traveling. From 3/11 to 4/14 we put over 30,000 miles on it and I want to get back on the road! Maybe go west certainly south next year. Can't wait.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp