Tools
Reply To This Topic

Jim and Tere's Breakaway Adventure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Well, we're off to pick up our new 28' Breakaway. Will meet the owner in Denver, spend time with them getting acquainted, do an inventory of what's in the Barth, go shopping for what we need for the trip, and head East on Monday,the 5th or Tuesday the 6th.
Would appreciate any advice on spare parts, tools, fluids, etc we should be sure to have with us. We can buy what we need in Denver.
Also will be going east in I70 through Kansas, Missouri and Illinois. Any suggestions on places we should stop and see on the way to Tennessee? We have about 6 days so we should take advantage of it.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I would suggest one of the membership programs that includes towing as the #1 must tool when picking up an unknown RV. This takes the risk out of being stranded with a tow company that doesn't know how to tow your Barth or does damage. Of course, fluids, flashlight, hammer, basic tools, credit cards....

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/13
Picture of Steve Griffin
posted Hide Post
That route through Kansas is a little sparse, But the Eisenhower Museum/Library is a good stop in Abilene. The National WWI Memorial in Kansas City should not be missed, and the old rail station is just across the street. Also in KC, the steamboat Arabia museum is good, as well as Crown Center downtown. The Harry Truman museum/library in Independence, MO is worth a stop also. In St. Louis, the Arch of course, as well as Forest Park (site of the 1904 World's fair) and they have a really nice Missouri Botanical Garden. There is a Superman museum in Metropolis, IL. After that, you are getting closer to home.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 151 | Location: Oologah, OK | Member Since: 10-05-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would take I-25 south to Colorado Springs & Pueblo, then take 50 east to K.C. For me if not in any hurry would much rather take the 2 lane. More things to see. Old small towns to go thru.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with I-70 room to pull off if there's a problem. DO NOT hit KC at rush hour.

I assume you want to get on I-64. Absolutely avoid taking I-70 through STL. At Wentzvillle, take US40/I-64, which merges with I-70 at the river. For fewer white knuckles, take I-270 west of STL, then I-255S to I-64 in IL. This adds only about 10 miles, but less traffic and congestion. Fortunately, IL has resurface I-64 recently.

Then I-57 to I-29.

The Briley Parkway around Nashville looks tempting, but it's been a mess every time I tried it.

I'm sure you know not to take US 321 at !-40 Exit 364.

Parks (I've stayed at all):

MO, Jonesburg, I-70 Exit 183, Jonesburg Gardens. Rustic but decent.

IL, Mt. Vernon, I-57 Exit 95, Quality Times. Also rustic, but very nice owners. Walmart a mile away.

KY, Paducah, I-29 Exit 11, Duck Creek RV Park. Very nice, spacious park. Store features lutes, zithers and primitive guitars made by my neighbor.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
If we are at home you are welcome to call for any help if you are near St. Charles. I concur with Rusty, you want to take the southern route around STL, which is 40/64 at Wentzville.
Stops worth making in S. Illinois are either Ferne Clyffe state park near Goreville or Little Grand Canyon park near Harrisburg, IL. Both have viewable websites and neither are far out of the way and about 4 hours from the 70/40-64 split depending on traffic etc.
Best of luck,
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Jim, you've been given some valuable help. I can imagine how excited and also worried you are. Pray and be calm. You're not too old to enjoy an unexpected, uncertain adventure.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Breakaways have a 60 gal fuel tank that hold 40 gal of useable fuel. Plan on stopping before 400 miles until you verify your gauge. Have fun!
Wayne

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
J nevermind, Tere, I will be out of town when you are coming through but if you need assistance and it is daylight there is a chance I can recommend help. If you are still in the area I will return late Friday.
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Around STL we always take I 370 to I 270 into IL then I 255 down to I 64. Also part of I 70 in KS are toll.BTW fuel is cheap in MO so fill 'er up

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I better hit the hay. Jim takes me to airport for 5:45am flight. Up @ 3 lv @ 4am arrive @ airport @ 4:45. Still have some packing to do. It's harder for me to pack light than not pack light.
T

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
I'd just stay in Colorado and enjoy the mountains. cheers

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats! Breakaways have a 60 gal fuel tank that hold 40 gal of useable fuel.

Not all do. Mine's 40 gal.
quote:
Around STL we always take I 370 to I 270 into IL then I 255 down to I 64

Kinda like what I recommended...Big Grin :"For fewer white knuckles, take I-270 west of STL, then I-255S to I-64 in IL. This adds only about 10 miles, but less traffic and congestion."

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Congrats! Breakaways have a 60 gal fuel tank that hold 40 gal of useable fuel. Plan on stopping before 400 miles until you verify your gauge. Have fun!
Wayne

a very prudent reminder.
I found out the hard way.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The adventure begins. Put Tere on a 5:25AM flight out of Knoxville to Denver via Charlotte. She has a 'buddy pass' thanks to her brother-in-law Larry, and was able to make all connections just perfect. Will arrive in Denver today around 9AM. Even got first class seat on the leg from Knoxville to Charlotte. The plan is for me to follow Sunday after son-in-law Dan, aka corporate jet pilot gets back home. Hopefully leave Monday.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B