Reply To This Topic

Jim and Tere's Breakaway Adventure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congrats! Breakaways have a 60 gal fuel tank that hold 40 gal of useable fuel. Plan on stopping before 400 miles until you verify your gauge. Have fun!
Wayne

Really? Is the pick up on the tank not able to get more than 40 Gallons?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
I replaced my fuel gage sending unit this spring. it looks like a propane gage, with a potentiometer built in. it consists of a horizontal shaft which the potentiometer is mounted to, a pivot point where two gears meet and a float. this gage is used on the 60 gal and the 100 gal tanks. On the old one, the potentiometer actually slipped on the shaft, probably just crimped together rather than being fused together. When I completely fill the tank, the gage reads about 7/8 full. The lowest I have ever let the tank go was to 1/4. then it took 45 gallons to fill it. I don.t care for the idea of running a tank down to close to empty, now you start picking up the garbage in the bottom of the tank.I hope you have a good and safe trip home.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I routinely run my tank to 1/8 on the gauge, but this was only after repeated fills to know how much fuel would fill the tank after certain gauge indications.

My tank is 60 gallons and the most I have used to fill was 47 gallons. Bare in mind, there is no sump in the tank so as you use more fuel, it may have a tendency to slosh around and could lead to fuel starvation going up a grade or down a hill.

As I have repeatedly said, if you want maximum fuel to start with, you must wait or take time refilling, diesel foams and during refill will click off many times before the tank is completely full. I always fill to have standing fuel in the neck but only fill to that point when continuing onward. If filled to that point and left sitting, fuel will go overboard due to expansion during the day.

The hose routing design on the Breakaway is very bad and causes extended filling times.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! cheers
Be careful and do not run the tank empty. Keep an eye on them tires, you probably seen the news yesterday where a CA guy burnt his RV to a crsp on I 75 due to a tire fire (near Knoxville). Nothing left.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Ed is correct. Fuel slowly, especially when using high volume truck diesel pumps. They spit out 60 Gal per min. Waayyy too much for any motorhome. Use a diesel additive too to compensate for low sulphur (lubrication) and possible algae growth/water in fuel.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Which diesel additive do you think would be best for the Cummins 5.9?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use cheap 2-cycle motor oil. About every 10K miles, I add a diesel injector cleaner. NAPA carries several, including its own brand.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted Hide Post
I talked to the Spartan rep at a show and he said that age chassis the sixty gallon tanks never held 60 gallons. If you look at the filler it goes in the bottom of the tank. Just fill er up at 400 I ran over and had to carry 5 gal of diesel a mile to restart. I generally and squeeze 41-45 gal in.

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We use Howes Meaner Cleaner in the summer (in the semi) and Howes for antigel in the winter. One bottle goes far, treats 200 Gal or so. I think Bill NY uses FTTP. I believe in the Howes, got 1,220,000 miles in the old semi, never a bad injector.

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
rusty, how much 2-cycle oil would you add to 40 gallons? Marvin/Doris, how much Howes--1/5 of a bottle?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
If you get the quart bottle 1/5th. But there is no danger of too much.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
rusty, how much 2-cycle oil would you add to 40 gallons? Marvin/Doris, how much Howes--1/5 of a bottle?

I use 16 oz/30 gal.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
M/D, where do you buy the Howes?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Any truck stop, even smaller ones carry it. Loves, Pilot, TA, about $18 a quart. We get it at Blains Farm and Fleet in IA or WI for $12.99 a quart.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Our fuel tank measures out to 80 gallons (231 cubic inches per gallon). I usually fill once a day on the road and that is usually 40 to 50 gallons. Did Put 60 in one time and was still above empty.

Our Barth was built as an all electric coach. Even the refrigerator was only wired for AC use. Had an electric cook top. A prior owner changed the cooktop and ran propane to the refrig. The hot water heated is a marine electric unit and the furnaces are Espar oil burners. The propane only ran the generator is only a 30 pound (7 gallons). All this points out that in the Barth world there are no absolutes.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post