Forums    Barth Journeys    Big Bertha In Bama!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Big Bertha In Bama!
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
Big Bertha is in Harvest Al.
Down to see younger Bro. Brought oldest Bro and Wife With us. Goin to Grand ole Opry tonight and have to leave soon so only have a minute to say Hi Y'all.
11.47 mpg on the way down. Best she's ever done.
problem with motor-aid that i'll ask about. works fine until the Water gets hot then it starts leaking out the overflow tube above rear duels?
I'm thinking lime buildup in the pop-off valve. any ideas?
Hope you are all having a GREAT 4th weekend.

Mike

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking lime buildup in the pop-off valve. any ideas?
Possibilities: The tank should be full all the time (?). If so, and the safety relief valve -aka popoff- is fouled, it will leak all the time. The SRV will open when pressure is greater than its setting, so I will guess it is getting so hot it is raising pressure (steam?) and opening as it is designed to do. The engine coolant temp is probably 180 deg -higher straight out of the block- and on an extended drive the tank water temp will equal that.
Do you perhaps have a temperature-sensing relief valve on the tank??

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post