Tools
Reply To This Topic

Summer-Fall '09 Trips
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
7/17-7/27: EPOCH 2009 Star Party -CANCELLED.

7/20-7/28: Mason Dixon Star Party, Local to US 301/A1A, I-95 at Yulee, FL; I-695 at Baltimore, I-83 to York, to US 30 to SR 74 to Wellsville, PA. Side trip to Galloway, NJ to visit relatives.

10/09-10/19: Peach State Star Gaze, SR 231/SR100/US 41 to I-10, to I-75/I-16 at Macon, US 129 to SR 44 to SR 22 at Crawfordsville, GA, SR 47 to Sharon, local to site.

11/06-11/15: Chiefland Star Party, Local to SR 235/SR 26/US 129/US 19 to local to site.

12/03-07: Florida GTG, local to SR 235/SR 121/I-75/SR 54/US 301 to Hillsborough State Park.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Edited to show Mason Dixon Star Party.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
You ever been to Tonopah Nevada? They claim to be the star gazing capital of the world.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nope - never west of Valentine, NE. Hundreds of places claim premier stargazing conditions...Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Well I guess because Tonopah is lonely in the desert (not many lights) they got a claim. Maybe it's closer to the stars at 6000' altitude (LOL). We were all exited when we stayed overnight because of the lunar eclipse that was supposed to happen. It did but we could not see a thing because of a big cloud. We usually just watch the sky in our backyard, toasting in the hottub, really nice in the middle of winter. Lazy mans stargazing.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Only a very few of the truly dark-sky sites are east of the Mississippi. People from the East who visit the West are astounded at seeing what light pollution has deprived them of.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, grew up by a major airport, now that is light polution.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
11/06-11/15: Chiefland Star Party, Local to SR 235/SR 26/US 129/US 19 to local to site.

Even though I'm parked at a good friend's place - he's the one who provides the local wi-fi - my connections are abyssmally slow. Tom, my host, is providing wi-fi via satellite to the entire 140 attendees. Sadly, HughesNet throttles speed when a certain threshhold of downloads has been reached, and pleas to mind one's downloads have gone ignored.

I tried about 40 times to sign onto the chatroom, but connections were slower than dialup due to the throttling and the number of other connections. It's performance worse than the DC GTG (but not as bad as NE GTG, where the wi-fi went down and the RV Park didn't give a damn).

Anyway, most of the attendees will clear out Sunday afternoon, and things will be restored.

That said, stargazing tonight was very good, and I recorded around an hour of Wonders of the Universe (mostly as demoes of "what not to do", as these are for a training session for the local club). Tomorrow, seeing is supposed to be equally good, and I should be able to snag another 1-1/2 hours - of decent images, as that's Lesson #2 for the local club. I'll bring the DVDs to the FL GTG.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke