Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Possible spreadsheet for campgrounds
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
Is there any interest in creating a campground spreadsheet, sort of like the data tag project, where we can list our favorite campgrounds for others to use as a resource? While Woodall's and Good Sam have great lists it is very hard to find that one campground along a certain route that our friends and acquaintances have stayed at and really know the scoop.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I think this is a great idea, but it may be for a different reason than you are talking about. We stay almost exclusively at State Parks, which seem to be scorned by many. We have a bunch of parks to look at, and a few to avoid, from our travels in the southeast. A park can have all the amenities but when you set up camp and discover you can't get out the door due to gnats, skeeters or whatever, you might as well be in a Holiday Inn.
I'd be happy to give our input to a bunch of Florida State Parks and some Georgia and Alabama State Parks.
Heck, it's not like Bill has anything better to do, right? Roll Eyes

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, and just try to get a review of any State Parks! Your input would be extremely valuable. All Bill has to do is build us a way to input the information. In his spare time!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Reviews in the Trailer Life Campground Navigator (software) are just numerical. No info on issues or misrepresentations by the park.

Some sort of rating system for the Barthmobile Forums Would be useful.

Most of the parks I use are convenient to my travel routes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Any body (warm or cold) want to run a website?

What are you proposing - how would you wish it implemented?

Can it be something as simple as starting a new forum or did you want an interactive map? hmm

Who is going to compile the list or whatever is envisioned?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I use a website called RV Park Reviews besides my Trailer Life Directory, Passport America book, Aor/Acn book, and word of mouth from people i know. Smiler another source is always helpful. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My frustration with the available GPS and directories are: 1) GPS devices all try to route travelers the shortest and fastest way possible using as many Interstates as possible and without any concern for leisure travel and 2) there is no real way to identify suitable campsites along a route related to travel time or distance. So when I want to travel to say Savannah GA from Houston I can't find a scenic route with four lane non interstate roads with the GPS nor can I easily locate camping facilities or attractions that can be figured into say a 400 mile distance from my current stop. So I was inquiring about a way for the members to list their favorite camp areas by name and location with short comments so we can locate them and then perhaps link to a map so we can plan a route that would guide us from site to site along our journeys. Members would be free to list their favorite places as they discover them and they would be updated with stars or dots to rate them. I am working on the GPS problem but that will take some time. Right now I am frustrated in how difficult it is to plan a leisurely trip from Houston to INDY in May of '11 that will take 20 days and let me see as many sight as possible.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Tom, Mamonth Cave National Park south of Bowling Green Ky. and Brown Co. State park south of Indy both have my thumbs up for seeing on your way. Brown Co.is just beautiful in the fall with all it hardwood trees, but is still a nice park in the spring. Mamonth Cave is a nice park, But the cave is what make it worth the trip.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great now we have the start of our "database".If someone can tell me how to set it up we can start adding the information. Looks like we need an input sheet of some kind.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
If someone can tell me how to set it up we can start adding the information. Looks like we need an input sheet of some kind.
I'm all for giving the people what they want. I just don't know how I can make this interactive so that you can add this information yourself.

The only way I can see to do this would be to make up a new forum for campground reviews.

The way I have thought about it would be to build a map - insert pins in the map - link it back to the post in question - change the title to include state/city/name of the campground

By looking at a map you can easily see where it is in relationship to your route.

By doing it in a forum setting you can get a give and take of each review - your experience might not be indicative of the way that place is run - or it might indicate a pattern of things to come - point/counterpoint might be good too.

Another map? - Unless you can expand my thought process, it seems like I'm stuck in a "One Trick Pony" show.

But, if it works... I guess I can't knock it. Computer Help!

What say you?

Please let me know what other things, from different websites, might work better - show me an example of what you're envisioning.

Another thought I want to convey... Just because I might not respond to a post in a positive fashion - doesn't mean I don't think about it.

Here is what I was playing around with.

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...31072951&f=799108833

As you can tell by the time/date stamp - I thought about this hours after you first mentioned it - I worked on this late into the night of the 14th and going into the 15th. - I built a map - made up a forum - built templates - and tried different settings...

Of course - I can also scrap anything I played around with for something else - Right now - I just need input so I can do something with it.

None of the Basement Dwellers, myself included, decided to discuss this - So, I've been waiting on the rest to comment so I can steer this into a direction that you may want.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, don't know if this will help you or not but try looking at www.busnut.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.cgi Look at Places We Stay. Maybe the way they have this set up is what you are looking for?

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Look at Places We Stay. Maybe the way they have this set up is what you are looking for?
It basically is the same thing I thought about - minus a map

I change the headings so that the description is the trigger point for sorting - Each state would show up in a cluster because the first few letters will shuffle it into its proper place.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
...change the title to include state/city/name of the campground
As you can tell by looking at it now, it only sorts based on user input for the title of the post in question.

I would change the title if you don't follow the format - just like I do now in the "For Sale Forum" - only there, it is sorted by date/time

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
http://rvparkreviews.com

This is a site that is highly recommended on other sites. By using this or any of the already existing sites available we would be saving Bill a lot of time setting up something that is already available.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
The thing I see with these sites is they don't list, or don't have anything to list for, State Parks. I know some don't even think about staying at a State Park, but I feel they don't know what they're missing in many cases. I'd do a report of the SPs we've been to, with all the good and bad. Just in Florida, South to North, Bahia Honda, Collier Seminole, Oscar Schearer, Myakka River, Lake Manatee, Hillsborough River, O'Leno, Suwanee River, and Blue Springs on the other side. Other than Blue Springs, this route pretty much travels from the Lower Keys to the Northern part of the state following I75. If it's of any use, I'd be glad to put it together, but I don't know how this will pan out so let me know if I'm wasting time. [I like doing these things anyway so it's not really a waste.]

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Trailer Life's Campground Navigator (software) shows most state parks, with reasonable info on each.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post