Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Oregon
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello fellow Barthers> My wife and I are about to head into Oregon from the north (Hwy 5) and have about 5 days to get to California. Any suggestions on places to stay, see, restaurants, etc. Thanks, Sniboy

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Most of our I-5 travels have been on a tight schedule without sightseeing, & it's been a few years so I can't vouch for current conditions.

There was a fairly nice private park just South of Medford, & we stopped a time or two in an interesting rest area on a river, I believe just below the OR-CA border. At the bottom of long hills from both directions, you needed good brakes. Coming from the South, the exit ramp was steep. Don't remember much about the North side.

There are some interesting looking possibilities for side trips in Northern, CA, but they weren't stopping places for our schedule.

Hwy 101 down the coast is a more interesting route, but it's up hill & down dale, through a lot of small towns & scenic as all get out along most of the way. Takes about a day longer than flying down I-5.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roy. We used to live in northen California and do remember some cool places there. We will not be much on the 5 in CA. And will probably only enter Oregon on the 5 - we'll see. I'll keep you posted. Hi to your wife. Smith & Joanie

Posts: 17 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 10-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Another scenic alternative is exit I-5 @ Olympia, W on 101 to State route 8 (at the Y follow the signs to the coast, not to Port Angeles). Pick up US 12 @ Elma, cut off on 107 @ Montesano, to pickup 101 South again to Raymond & South Bend. Leave 101 & pick up 4 to Naselle, go right on 401, to pick up 101 again @ the North end of the bridge to Astoria, then follow 101 as far as you want down the coast.

That was our favorite way South, though coming from Sequim, we took 101 down the West side of the Hood Canal & turned right on 108.

Sounds complicated, but follow the route on your map & you'll see it's not. On the road, just keep watch for the signs. We always found the turns well-marked.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post