Forums    Barth Journeys    bringing home the Barth!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

bringing home the Barth!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted
Well we bought our Barth without ever seeing her. Thanks to all the info and advice from Barthmobile.com ROTFLMAO . We had to wait about a week and a half to pick her up in DeWitt, MI. Which gave me quite a bit of time to spend on this web site reading about others that had picked up their coaches (some, a bit scarey). With only a brake caliper on the front left steer not wanting to release after stopping we made it home, I believe our '77 Barth 34' Coach loves her new home.

We have a couple of things to fix up and we wouldn't mind Lee and his Buffing wheel to show up for a few days.

Other than that we are very excited to WOW all of our NASCAR neighbors at MIS later this month!!

More updates and pictures to follow as we go. Thanks for everyones encouragement......she is a diamond and not all that rough!!!! Smiler Big Grin

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already changed the caliper, or if you have and it's still sticking, the problem is almost always in the old rubber lines between the caliper and the metal brake lines. They swell shut and the power booster will shoot the fluid to the caliper but there is not enough pressure to allow it back when you release the brake. After a while it will release, but then stick again next time you apply the brakes. I've gone through this with the Euro front and rear and my 91 Scottsdale pickup.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
New hoses on an old coach are always a good idea. There is one in back, too.

Sometimes there are issues, so take the old one with you.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
we wouldn't mind Lee and his Buffing wheel to show up for a few days.

....If I don't show up on time, go ahead and start without me. Smiler

Actually, I'll be passing thru your community next April, enroute to the U.P. & Ontario for smelt fishing...Maybe I'll stop-in and check your progress....Good luck! Your adventures are just beginning!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Lee, I gotta ask, do you use the toothbrushes on the Barth first, then the smelt, or the other way around? In either case, you must have a ton of patience to polish a Barth to a mirror finish, and clean a few thousand little minnows with scissors and toothbrush. This doesn't take into account standing in the middle of a near freezing stream with a net hoping the little critters come by. If you haven't guessed by now, I'm envious in Florida and really miss the spring smelt run and the incredible fry parties that follow.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
LOL Danny....When it comes to the black art of smelt dippin', it's obvious you've Been-There, Done That.....

Standing in the middle of some no-name stream at 3am, night after night, up to your sensitive parts in fast moving water, complete with mini-icebergs banging at yer soft spots, just waiting for someone 1/4 mile downstream to yell, "Here they come!"

.....And then being able to take a dip net and fill a couple of coolers in about 10 minutes...Followed by hours of cleaning and packing in snow for the trip home.......And then the Absolute Glory of tossing some into a cast iron skillet on the campfire for breakfast!

You're right...sounds about as goofy as polishing aluminum.....but yet I voluntarily do them both....wonder what that really means? Roll Eyes

....could be worse...one of my smelt dipping companions scales his entire catch....Now that's really one weird dude..... Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Smelt fishing sounds about as deluded as Grunion harvesting. In Alaska, once a year the Grunion run. They heave themselves up onto the beach to spawn, and the cry goes out, "The Grunions is runnin', the Grunions is runnin'!"

And we all hie on down to the beaches and harvest 'em by hand. Actually, they don't taste that good, what with Alaska being fat with flounder, sole, trout, and salmon.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
I'm told smelt is an aquired taste, but if Lee shows up at my door with the smelt and a buffing wheel I would be more than happy to clean and cook up a few buckets for him.

If you just show up that would be fine too!!

Today we redid the headliner and put the shelves back in the front of the Barth and will put in another full day tomorrow.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you'd be ready for the September GTG in Chattanooga!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
We are Rusty, just not so sure the Barth will be. Should know more after our trip the middle of the month. Nothing would be better then to meet all the great Barthmobile members in person; everyone has been so helpful!!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Jeff & Joy,

If you do venture out with the Barth and use US-131 to go south through the Lower Penninsula and need assistance between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo let Barb and I know. Same for the return trip.

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post