Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spring-Summer 2011 Trips
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
4/10-4/17: Northeast Astro-Imaging Conference and Northeast Astronomy Forum, Suffern, NY

4/20-4/24: Deerlick Astronomy Village (DAV), Raytown, GA

4/25-5/2: Mid South Star Gaze, French Camp, MS

5/2-5/3: Cruise the Natchez Trace, French Camp to Natchez.

5/3-5/9: Barth GTG, Breaux Bridge, LA

5/27-5/31: DAV annual picnic; 3rd Annual Memorial Day GTG, UBRVRAPE Appling, GA

6/30-7/5: DAV to replace the A/C in the TT, then to UBRVRAPE to watch Nick work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
On the road tomorrow! Because of the weather, I made ready to leave today if necessary. Now with everything done, I'm twiddling my thumbs today...better, I guess than rushing around trying to get everything together...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
How can you be so well organized? I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow. Confused

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The evolved checklists - I have mine split into location (Barth, kitchen, bedroom, upstairs, etc.) and segmented into D-5 to D-Day. Having made over 50 trips, things I once forgot have long ago been added.

There are also special sections for certain trips.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
How can you be so well organized? I don't even know what I'm doing tomorrow. Confused

Tomorrow?...........When's that?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm here at Grier's Field, the public (and RV-friendly) section of DAV, having arrived yesterday. Now I'm a third of the way through this, my longest trip away from home and Norman my cat...who has 15 lbs. of cat food and 5 gals. water to last him.

Some might wonder why I stay at the public field when my property now has power and wi-fi. The answer is Casey and Nelson...several trenches were dug at my place for power and sewer, and C & N have been known to run through the freshly turned red clay. Grier's Field is mostly sandy, and covered in grass...

So far, with the favorable tailwinds to NY, and quartering headwinds to here, over 1685 miles, StaRV II has averaged 12.2 mpg. The trip has been uneventful, with StaRV II's only issue was a loose connector in the dash causing an occasional flutter of the speedo. The only rain enroute was a couple of hours in PA until I hit I-78, althoug we got deluges Sat and Sun night in Suffern.

I expect to go to UBRVRAPE (the Cagle-owned Ugly Betty RV Park and Pet Emporium) Friday and leave Sunday for the Mid South Star Gaze, with an overnight stop enroute.

Due to various late-emerging issues, I'm leaving MSSG Monday 5/2, RON at a state Park near Natchez, then on 5/3 to Breaux Bridge.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, this trip is nearing its conclusion, after 3584 miles and 30 days on the road. I'm but 299 miles from home, and steeling myself for the scolding from Norman, my cat, who refuses to travel.

It's going to be mostly stay-at-home after the Memorial Day GTG at UBRVRAPE, as planning to put my house on the market kind of makes me need to stay nearby.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Are you going to full time it with the Star Pad as your rally point?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I only spend about 3-4 months a year in StaRV II, usually in 1 to 4-week increments. I don't have one of those Jumbo Coaches with dishwasher, a laundry room, kennels, upper level/mezzanine, concert hall, and servants' quarters...Big Grin

Star Parties will be more convenient from Deerlick Astronomy Village, however.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Starting Monday on a two week trip to the Indy 500. Back to Cajun Palms then to Sherling Lake RV park in Greenville Alabama. On to Marion NC on the 18th for a visit to thr Biltmore Estate. An overnight at Mama Gerties Campground near Ashville NC until the 22nd. Trip over to Lexington KY for three days at the Kentucky Horse Park and then into Indy on the 26th. Returning to Houston via Memphis and Little Rock May 30 June 1.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some recommendations: Sherling Lakes RV Campground in Greenville Alabama is owned and operated by the City of Greenville Parks Dept. It is located in a beautiful and quiet regional park around the corner from one of the Robert Trent Jones Golf courses that stretch throughout the state. Full service 30-50 amp, very clean and did I say quiet? All for $25 per day for fully equipped pull throughs. The roads are asphalt but each pad site is concrete poured level and not crowded. WIFI works,as does off the air tv. No cable that I could find but this one great place if you are traveling north or south.
Next: Mountain Stream RV Park in Marion NC. It requires either a guide or GPS because it is in the Pisgah National Forest about 35 miles from Asheville NC. The excitement starts when you turn onto highway (pathway?) 80 and the sign says "curving steep hills with numerous switchbacks 5 miles ahead, Trucks discouraged! Don't even try this at night but if you go slow and be careful you will reach the park in about 8 miles. It is drop dead gorgeous! secluded, clean and one special feature - No Cell Phone Service!!! Sat WIF works great and cable tv is included. Satellite might work but you are in a canyon between ridges in the Blue ridge Mountains so just live with the DVD's and cable. It is a Good Sam park and rates at least a 9.5 !!
check these both through Google and you can believe what they say.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Here are some recommendations: Sherling Lakes RV Campground in Greenville Alabama is owned and operated by the City of Greenville Parks Dept. It is located in a beautiful and quiet regional park around the corner from one of the Robert Trent Jones Golf courses that stretch throughout the state. Full service 30-50 amp, very clean and did I say quiet? All for $25 per day for fully equipped pull throughs. The roads are asphalt but each pad site is concrete poured level and not crowded. WIFI works,as does off the air tv. No cable that I could find but this one great place if you are traveling north or south.

Donna and I stayed at Sherling Lakes RV Campground on the way to Breaux Bridge. We both agree with Tom's recommendation.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now try Mountain Creek - you'll like this better. Trout fishing in the creek - WalMart 8 miles away.

posted Hide Post
Continuing towards Indy. Am in Lexington Kentucky at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. This is part of the Horse Park and is very nice. 30-50 amp power, water, large back in sites (almost 300). No on site sewer but two large dump stations with full water facilities. The coast is between $27 and $33 per night but discounts abound. The Horse Park is incredible and campground patrons get discounts and freebies. There are full showers, pay laundry facilities and free shuttle to the entrance to the Horse Park. The combination of facilities and size would make this an excellent GTG site for you midwesterners. We will certainly come back again.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I ran the numbers for 3518 miles, and I averaged 12.2 mpg Big Grin

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke