Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Off to Reno tomorrow
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I go to the Reno Air Races tomorrow, I usually go to Reno a week before the races and catch the qualifying which will start on Monday Sep 10. I stay there until Thursday and then it is off to Ely for the Silver State Classic Challenge road race where I am a staff member and do communications work. Because the Reno Air Race and the SSCC run at the same weekend I can't do both but I get to see most of the flying done by all contestants during qualifying at Reno and there is no crowd. This year's SSCC is their Twentieth Anniversary and the last one for the season.

I leave Ely on Sunday to the road race on highway 318 and will return home on Monday thru Las Vegas Sep 17th.

Barth is ready to go with more mods ready for testing.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Ray!

Had a great trip, but unfortunately, there were a number of accidents at Reno this year and lose of life. Danger is always extreme when people push the limits but this year was one of the worst for Reno Air Races.

The Silver State Classic Challenge open road race was good and they were celebrating their 20th year this race. We had over 125 entrants and the fastest time thru the entire 90+ mile course was set by Richard Hille at 198 MPH average in a 1995 Camaro powered by a small block 409 Chevy engine. We had a large delegation of people from Norway (50+) and they brought a Pontiac Firebird with a supercharged big block Chevy engine, they did the entire course at 186 MPH average and had 232 MPH thru the timing trap (fastest of all). Not bad at all for there first attempt on this open road race.

Barth ran very well!! My attempts to reduce the engine operating temperature has paid off and the highest I saw during the trip was 215 with an outside temperature of 103 going up the grade outside of Las Vegas. Most of the time running at altitude of 3000 feet or above,90+ degrees outside, at 70+ MPH, the temperature was stable at 185. Will report in the "improvement section" about what I changed.

Good to be back home again.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post