Tools
Reply To This Topic

Homestead
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
No Bill, they aren't required, and I saw very few, but I try to maintain the dignity expected of a classic Barth owner, and was shown a huge amount of gratitude for my efforts.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I try to park on the fence sides. I get there on opening day and run a flex pipe from the muffler to another external muffler and then thru the fence. You can't hear anything and no one complains if you keep it on overnight.

With that setup it cuts down on the vibration to the point that you need to turn on a light or open the fridge to see if it's on. Fridge is 120 electric only.

I always bring an extra flex pipe for my neighbor as I have yet been fortunate enough to park by someone with a Genturi or there own flex pipe.

Several coaches that I have seen with there own Genturi seems to rattle and there is some type of vibration in the coach. One coach that I was checking out at the track seemed to have an exhaust smell in there bathroom as there Genturi stack came out right by there vent.

The old Kohlers make alot of noise and this setup really quiets them down.

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited November 22, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of the kind you're talking about. I've always called them snuffers, and if you can get the end away from others it is indeed a super quiet system. Our particular situation at Homestead would not have been served well by this system because we were in the middle of a ton of RVs. I extended the Homebuilt gentury a good 5 feet over the roof, put on a couple hooks for a flag, and killed 2 birds with one stone. The gentury itself doesn't cut down the noise very much, if at all, but it does reroute the fumes into the air above. In a jam packed NASCAR campground such as Homestead or Dega, my old Onan 5K is one of the quitest running gennies in the park, with all the Generacs and Colemans, and I don't really run it that much anyway. A pot of coffe in the morning and maybe a half hour if we're making a big breakfast, then maybe news and a show or two at night, and we're back to 12v. I know we've gone through this discussion before but this is why I dropped a grand and a little for a new Dometic Fridge. It works perfectly on any power and I never have to think about it. IF I didn't run 12 hours on the road without the genny running, and IF I didn't spend 4 and 5 day weekends at the track with no shore power and no real reason to run the genny full time, I would have to agree that it was a pretty outragous expenditure. We were at the track 94 hours and we ran the genny 16 of them. Considering this old beast burns about a gallon an hour, I don't think it would take many trips to pay for that shiny new Dometic. Meanwhile, I'm working on a design to muffle the exhaust noise with an external cylander of insulation to isolate the gap between the pipe and the gentury, while allowing the air flow necessary to keep it functioning properly. Of course, all input will be appreciated.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
I'm working on a design to muffle the exhaust noise with an external cylinder of insulation to isolate the gap between the pipe and the gentury, while allowing the air flow necessary to keep it functioning properly. Of course, all input will be appreciated.

Do we get a cut of anything you make on the patent rights? Inquiring minds want to know!

------------------

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've always thought that with all those campers around so dang tight that someone someday will not wake up. I have a carbon monoxide detector in my Custom Coach and it has gone off several times when I have parked in the middle of the sea.

Have you seen the oversized cardboard box muffler? You run a sturdy cardboard box at the end of you "snuffer" line and direct it to the road. You don't hear anything where your camping and it amplifies the noise in the direction it's pointed! They usually line the inside with aluminum foil but I've seen some without!

Scarry huh?

------------------

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I just replaced a leaky exhaust system on my Onan including new muffler. The loudest noise now is mechanical, not exhaust.

This matches my experience on boats. You can silence engine exhaust, but keeping mechanical noise out of living spaces is difficult.

With a typical RV genny, you have a large area open to the outside that ventilates the compartment. You can reduce the noise inside the coach, but the mechanical noise still escapes outside.

Perhaps a small detachable auxiliary muffler ahead of the genturi would silence all the exhaust noise, but the machine is still going to vibrate, rattle & create a racket as it runs.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My experience pretty much parallels Roy's. I can hold a ball of rags over the exhaust outlet and still hear a horrendous racket. I have mitigated it a little by identifying areas where sheet metal shrouds are rattling and applying dum dum. The big air inlet hole in the door can be baffled with soundboard to make the sound travel through sort of an absorbent labyrinth before it gets out. Sound travels in a straight line first, so any absorbent material it hits will cut down on the noise.

There are two approaches to sound control, absorption and blocking. Insulation is rated by STC, which is sound transmission coefficient and NRC, which is noise reduction coefficient. STC is how well it blocks sound passage through a material, and NRC is how well it absorbs sound. With a genset, which requires a big open hole, absorption is a biggy. The STC would apply only to how much noise gets through the walls of the compartment into the coach and to how much sound gets outside through the compartment and door. Owens Corning 107 has a NRC of 1.0. The best sound blocking sinsulation has a NRC over 30.

I plan to close off the hole completely and provide an air hole in the bottom of the compartment.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm blessed. With that flex pipe hookup to the extra muffler laying on the ground I can't hear anything that even sounds like a generator running.

------------------