Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

World's Largest House Party
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Every year since around 1890 something, there is a two week fair in Neshoba County, near Philadelphia, MS. The National Geographic has documented it (Neshoba County Fair)as being the World's Largest House Party.

The Choctaw Indian fair starts the 3rd week of July and the Neshoba Co Fair starts the last week of July.

It has a colorful history with over 500 shanties (some of them are very nice) built around a fair town square and the majority around the horse racing track. For one week, it is the only legal horse racing track in Mississippi. Some of the original cabins date back to the 1800's.

The cabin folk are the friendliest in the country. When the fair starts, their doors are open for a continious 7 day party.

There are many RV hookups as well.

The food, crafts, entertainment, and famous southern hospitality are unsurpassed. A quick Google search for (Neshoba County Fair) should turn up much interesting info.

Yankees bewarned though....it is the hottest, most humid time of the year.

Mint Julip anyone?

Try this link Http://neshobacountyfair.org/
And:
http://choctawindianfair.com/

[This message has been edited by dogill (edited April 06, 2005).]

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yankees beware...sounds like something jay would say!!! and what temp is the mint julip suppose to be when u drink it? inquiring yankees want to know...

------------------
living in beautiful southern illinois
77-21' p-30 454

Posts: 37 | Location: alto pass il | Member Since: 01-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No flame intended there Walter. Notice I didn't use the adjective:-) One has to earn that. I demand my mint julip to be served at 33 degrees. stirred, not shaken.

My family tree originated in Neshoba County and I've been to many of these annual fairs. It is quite an original event, with folks from all over the world. Ronald Ragan opened his campaign on the Neshoba County Fair Founder's Square stump.

Actually, the county is dry but that doesn't stop anybody on fair week. In fact, there is an insiders secret concerning a small lemonade stand adjacent to the race track entrance. If one places the correct amount of change on the counter with a wink of the eye, his lemonade will be especially potent. The little old church ladies are very fond of this unique refreshment stand.

By beware, I meant that even for a born southerner, a heat index approaching 110 can be a tad uncomfortable. The sensible folks tend gather under the shady fanned areas until sunset.

As and aside, my folks grew up around a small town named, "Union", which was the only such village which escasped Grant's burn and salt policy on his march to Vicksburg.

Best,
Don in Dixie

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Hey !! Don't you pick on Jay, haven't you seen his recent posts with all those big exotic words?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post