Forums    Barth Journeys    Our summer trip North.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Our summer trip North.
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
We are in the planning stages of our trip to Michigan. Our only reservation so far is for Up the Creek campground in Pigeon Forge for 3 days. Anybody have anything to say about that area?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We're at our friends in north Georgia and tomorrow head for Pigeon Forge for 4 days before heading north to Michigan.The oach went from running perfect to not great but drivable. After getting here we discovered the timing advance vacuum tube had come lose. Cut an inch off and it fits nice and tight now. Back to running perfect for tomorrows journey ov the Blue Ridge Parkway.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Well, two things wrong from last update. One, the engine still ran like crap, and two, we weren't supposed to take the Blue Ridge Parkway, and we figured it out after over 50 miles of uphill downhill twisty skinny road goin in the wrong direction. Got back to where we started from 3 hours later and took 441 to Pigeon Forge. Spent 3 days there and had a great time even though it rained every day. Then we took a liesurely 4 day trip to Michigan, the coach running crappy the whole time. Yesterday I video chatted with my wrench in Florida and he had me check a bunch of things, all of which were good. Finally he said to take out the air filter and run it down the road. Can't be that simple can it? Yup, it can. I'll put a new filter in it today before we head further north to some friends place for the long 4th weekend. If it continues to run good we plan on heading up to Steve VWs about mid July. The smoke finally blew out yesterday after 4 days of warnings, but all I got out of it ts a scratchy throat. Other than the engine the coach has been flawless the entire trip.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Sure is nice to resolve a problem that easily, have a great rest of your trip Danny!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well if the smoke ever clears maybe we will finally get some summer sunshine. Smoke is worse this summer than ever.

Danny we should be around. Dad had a mild heart attack about 10 days ago. So far stable and waiting for catheter scan and posssible stents. Hopefully I will not get dragged into that treatment while you are around. Hope to see you soon. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/22
Picture of Ian and Lynnette
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sorry about that smoke! Apparently we're not sending enough of it to northern Europe.

Posts: 141 | Location: Nanton, Alberta, Canada | Member Since: 02-27-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Made it home yesterday afternoon. The Barth didn't run great but it got us the entire 3200 miles with no issues. It developed a backfire in the exhaust that I could only keep down with a heavy right foot so I found out it really handles good at 70 to 80 mph. I know the mpgs aren't great but they weren't anyway. We came home the "old route", Indy-Luisville-Nashville-Chatanooga and it was really pretty nice. I really liked the Nashville by-pass, fast smooth and light traffic compared to most big city bypasses. After 40 days in the Barth it was nice to get back to the house.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a safe and happy trip . Our traveling will start next month and probably run through next spring possibly year round Smiler .

Retirement starts after September Tooling Along

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you had a good trip. Sounds like your engine is really running lean at low loads, kick that ole Rochester in on secondary, lots more fuel!!

Danny, is that Nashville by-pass a new thing? Always hated going through Nashville, all those interstates converging and cars changing lanes, like they specifically chose to do around the RV.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Duane, I think the Nashville bypass is pretty new. You pick it up southbound before you get to Nashville and it takes you east of the city right past Grand Ol Opry then you stay on it when the freeway ends for a few miles past the airport and it puts you on 24 south to Monteagle and Chatanooga. No traffic problems at all. I'll be messing with the carb to see what I can do with it but I have my eye on a 96 FI electronic ignition with a 4 or 5 speed tranny with all the wiring and computers that would look pretty good in the old 78.

79 Barth Classic

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
96 FI electronic ignition with a 4 or 5 speed tranny with all the wiring and computers that would look pretty good in the old 78.

Sounds great, that would be a terrific thing to do for sure!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys made it home ok. Sounds like the old 454 is running lean indeed. OTOH, since you plan to keep the coach, that newer engine/trans transplant would be the holy grail. It will run SO much better. With the FI and lockup overdrive trans I gotta believe your mileage will improve.

Thread drift...

Sorry we missed you but just as well you didn't get here. On Monday Liz went in to ER for serious kidney stone pain. Yep, 3 stones in the left kidney: 4mm 5mm and a 6mm. They found she also had systemic staph infection. That really got their attention, very serious and very stubborn bacteria. Many are resistant to all but IV antibiotics.

She has been in the hospital since on IV antibiotics and blood tests every six hours. They knocked the infection down by late Tuesday and put in a stent to open the kidney flow. No more pain by Wednesday. Still have not removed the stones. She will be coming home tomorrow. Still calling for IV antibiotics every 8 hrs for 2 weeks!

Not the week we planned! confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post