Tools
Reply To This Topic

Townsend KOA
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Took a short trip to Townsend, TN on Tuesday. A beautiful area just west of the Smokies. Did not take a car so we drove the rv up to Laurel Valley Resort to play golf first then on to the campground. The hills up to the CC were the steepest we've ever been on & of course we made it to the top. However, while Jim was getting the cart I wanted to move the rv to a more level spot & when I went to crank the engine.... nothing but a click. Checked all that I knew to check & told jim when he came back with cart. We tried a couple of other things & were unsuccessful.

Rather than fretting too much we went on to play the first 9 holes hoping it was the old hot starter issue which we thought we had corrected with the new starter. Jim tried to get a mechanic out but the Coach net folks weren't too helpful this time around. They needed the vin # or something & we were on the 4th hole with no rv at hand.(note to self: take vin # with you if you aren't going to be with the coach when you call coach net) Talked to our son in law & after 9 holes & lunch we decided to tackle the trouble shooting process before it got too late in the day.

Tried to start, same results. Checked the basics; ground wire-check,fuses-check, battery connections-check, battery's had good charge-check. Jim said it had to be something to do with the starter. Tried several things & determined there was a bad connection to the starter. Had to remove the starter wire to the solenoid from below so there I am with my golf outfit on under the coach doing repairs. I did not have any ring terminals, or crimping tools to fix. I ended up cutting the ring terminal off, & then tried to re attach it to the wire. Wire was way to big for what was left of the ring terminal so I had to improvise. The location of the S terminal on the solenoid is very, tiny & in the uppermost part of the solenoid which is attached on top of the starter. UGHHH. I stripped back the wire a #8 wire which is pretty beefy & proceeded to carefully slide it up in to place then put the washer & the nut on & tighten as best I could. Prayed it would start it did & we just went on to the campground. It was very hot & as everywhere else the humidity was so high it felt like a sauna.

Camping was very nice. There was a pool & that was the first thing we did when we got there. Nothing like a dip in the pool after a day on the golf course!!

Going out now to attach a new ring terminal to starter wire.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim & Tere, hope things are well with you both. Way to go lady! It must be nice to have your own mechanic with you Jim.
The best to both of you. Ray and Anne

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
In a pinch I have taken a short piece of copper tubing, slide over wire halfway and beat it flat with hammer. Drill hole for bolt. Solder to make permanent. mechanic

Tere, I can't believe you will work on a starter of all things! I think I'm falling in love with you... Big Grin

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Tere, I can't believe you will work on a starter of all things! I think I'm falling in love with you... Big Grin
GET IN LINE, NEWBIE!!! mechanic Your way down the line. Some of us oldtimers have her spoken for years in advance. ROTFLMAO Something ever happen to Jim, she has a lifetime of offers. confusion

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll just have to dream and admire from a distance... Big Grin

Don't get me wrong, my wife is great but UNDER the coach? I don't think so! nono

PS: does she like to fish? ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5166 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Fish, and boat, and drive fast cars, and play tennis, and hang out with the 6 year old triplets. Smiler
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post