Reply To This Topic

1993 Barth 35' Diesel Pusher 8.3 Florida
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate19:
Have purchased some on eBay and have never knowingly fell prey to this scheme. How does it work? Possibly:

1. Seller posts item for bid
2. Seller arranges for two "Fraudulent Bidders" to run the price up
(Assume no "Good Faith Bidder" gets involved, or not to the extent/bid satisfactory to Seller
3. Seller alleges the winning "Fraudulent Bidder" fails to perform ie. required deposit not timely
4. Seller relists the item once again trolling for prey

?????

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Don't get me wrong I have purchased numerous items through Ebay, mostly not auctions though. Rarely had any problems.

I prefer Ebay over Amazon for several reasons. When you buy from Ebay you are dealing directly with the vendor. Ebay just lists in their behalf. Also, Ebay uses PayPal so only they have your credit card info.

On two occasions I had problems with poor response/delivery. When I notified PayPal I had a refund within hours.

Amazon pushes their Prime service at extra cost. For regular users it makes sense but not for me. Delivery estimate dates for Amazon are almost always always several days later than actual delivery. Tracking and shipping from Ebay is usually more accurate.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
eBay has gift cards available at my supermarket. I use them because I get cash back from American Express for "groceries".
I recently sold a broken car radio on eBay for $40 (was going to throw away then thought what the hell, start bidding at 99 cents "for parts", shipping not included. Accepted $40 offer by changing to buy it now. eBay had the money directly in my bank checking two days later.
I enjoy eBay also and have always had pleasant experiences.
Finally, for those not familiar with eBay, you can easily set up notification via email of a particular item being listed - works great (don't need to continually monitor for listings of interest). Get help if interested. Have found many highly unusual items not available by other means.

Maybe this thread's heading should be changed ...........Casper Hide

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Maybe a fool, but I bought our Barth and our Foretravel on Ebay Sight unseen. The price was low enough to take the chance.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post