Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1965 24ft travel trailer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Whoa! you may be a StinkyDaddy, but you are smelling like a rose as a Barth owner!

Give 'er some TLC and elbow grease and she will be nicer than a brand new SOB!

keep taking pictures and keep everyone updated!!

Have Fun, hope to see you at a GTG soon! Smiler

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I got the Barth home today. Still can't find the data tag, I'll keep looking. Here are a few pics in the meantime.

It says Barth, Air Flo Design, with a "B" in the middle of a globe type circle on the left side of the logo.

Note the lovely dried honeysuckle in the window, a pleasant change from the poison oak.

The walls seem to have been covered with some type of wallpaper, maybe self adhesive. I peeled off a piece over the window and it came up pretty easy.

These masonite panels in the ceiling have a bar code on the back, so we're not dealing with an original interior. The aluminum framing is very cool though.

The stove has a gap in the cabinet underneath so I'm guessing it was a replacement. It's a magic chef.

Here's how the framing is above the doorway.

I didn't have alot of time to check it out after we got home. My daughter had a soccer game about an hour after I pulled in the driveway. I'll keep looking for the data tag, maybe it's under the wallpaper. I didn't find it outside by the door, and I didn't see a place where it looked missing from. Hopefully it's under the wallpaper somewhere.

I've got a pretty big job ahead and I'm open to any info and suggestions.

Have Fun,
Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StinkyDaddy:
I got the Barth home today. Still can't find the data tag, I'll keep looking.
You might not ever find find it.

For now, we'll tentatively tag it as:
B= second year of production = 1964
11= produced in November.
74= 74th Barth Built.

B 11 74 and list it as a 1965 model until something else changes that assumption.

2 more questions...

1) Does 24' include the tow "A Frame"
2) What is the number 1517 on the back for and is there more digits to that number? I'm thinking it might be an old Barth Rangers membership number, but it's just a guess.

I know it's a stretch, but if you find any original documents for it, scan em and send them to me via email or post them here for all to see.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I measured 24' from bumper to ball hitch. I have no clue about the 1517, those are the only numbers there.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
If you take a direct photo of that logo that is faded out with a ruler above or below it, any competent graphics shop could make you a vinyl replacement once you get that thing polished up. Look at that thread "data Tag" and look what freddie has done to his coach...of course, your trailer will probably take a little more elbow grease.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I checked out the thread with the photos of Freddy's polish job, that's impressive. As for the logo, I'm a graphic artist, how competent I am may be questionable but I have a vinyl cutter and I'm pretty sure I can whack that logo out pretty quick.

My plan is to work on the inside first, and get it usable then maybe work on the exterior.
I'm ok with the carpentry issues, it's the plumbing and other camper specific stuff that I'm totally lost on.

Have Fun,
Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a vinyl cutter and I'm pretty sure I can whack that logo out pretty quick.

You may have opened up a real can of worms with that one! Wink

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StinkyDaddy:
it's the plumbing and other camper specific stuff that I'm totally lost on.

I can do a lot of stuff myself, and while I'm not lost on plumbing, I do tend to hate it. I think the main thing is to always remember that one rule...**it flows downhill. Cool

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
I hooked up a water hose to the trailer yesterday to see if I had any leaks, I assumed I did and it was confirmed. Water leaked under the sink and from out of the bottom of the trailer under the bath. It has copper water lines, so I'm guessing they froze and all those should be replaced.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Are all the plumbing lines copper throughout, or just the incoming lines? Most modern rigs use some sort of plastic for interior lines... might be a worthwhile change for convenience anyway, if you have to tear a bunch of it out. But there's a decent chance your leak can be located and repaired at that site without requiring a ton of pipe replacement. Obviously copper piping is made to last, like the aluminum framing of these RV's.

A couple side notes for discussion:

In 1965 when this trailer rolled off the line, what kind of vehicle would have typically towed it? Consumer pickup trucks hadn't really taken off yet, so I'm guessing a car of that vintage could handle it? I'm imagining my 1969 Pontiac Executive with that 1965 Barth in tow. Smiler

Also, I checked out your studio website and you have got some amazing work! My wife is a personal trainer and eventually wants some "work" photos so I was particularly interested in Nakisha's fitness photo gallery.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Everything I see is copper. I'm not sure how many leaks I have. I turned the water on an walked around to the door of the trailer and heard water running. I was hoping the faucet was on and it was running in the sink, but no such luck. I'll have to check it again when someone else is here and can turn the water on and off for me.

My brother and I talked about the towing thing as we were hauling it home. I have a grey '71 Mach 1 Mustang, that should be a cool tow.

Thanks, Nakisha is incredible, she has 5 kids!
When your wife is ready for pictures find someone who has shot fitness and can show you some work. It's a different lighting setup than regular portraits or glamour.

Have Fun,
Wm.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
That Mustang WOULD be a great tow vehicle. Cool Not sure if the chassis would be set up for all the extra weight, though the powertrain could certainly handle it.

Thanks for the fitness photo tips! Speaking of kids, we just had our 3rd so my wife is working on getting her body back (it's really not that far gone Wink) before photos. Our little guy is 3 weeks old and she's lost half of the "baby weight" already.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
It would be cool, but there's nothing to hook a hitch to.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I towed our first trailer, a 20' stick & staple Silver Eagle that I bought because I couldn't afford a Barth like yours, with a '68 Dodge 2-door with a Mopar 318. With heavy duty shocks, overload springs & a trans cooler, it went coast to coast twice in '69, & D.C. to Seattle in 1970. Wore out two sets of rear tires towing the trailer but drove the Dodge 125K miles before selling it. I estimate about 12K had the trailer behind.

Scottydi's '69 Pontiac would be a typical tow vehicle for that era, but for a Barth, something like my old '65 Cad Sedan Deville would be more typical.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Olroy, I'll be scouting craigslist for a 60's Caddy.

Bill & Sherrie
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24