Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway in Allegan, MI
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Ok.... here we go, first question of many I am sure. My step does not want to retract (I had know about this previously) You can here the motor click but that's it. Is there some sort of override (manual) that can be used until I get it figured out? Thanks - Gerald

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
I'm the mystery man! Smiler I thought I entered the coach info. in my profile.
I knew who you were. I was just trying to coax you into posting some more. Wink BTW: You did enter your coach info.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there some sort of override (manual) that can be used until I get it figured out?

When I had trouble with mine, which eventually seemed to fix itself, I needed to climb under, disconnect the control box, then use a battery jumper box to power it back in. The was no manual disconnect. This also served to prove the motor was OK.

The are other things to be aware of 1) there may be a shut-toff switch inside the rig. Mine is just inside the door, but not marked in any way. 2) the whole system is powered off when I shut off the chassis power. This is a good thing as the step stays where put rather than opening and closing every time we open the door. 3) if you try to jump it from underneath, don't be laying under the step or it will try to crush you. This may seem obvious, but it's a temptation as you need to be contorted to work on it from a safe distance.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, forgot to mention there are two wires on the motor. You reverse polarity (change red and black around) to go from in to out.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Corey, It is raining a little again today so as soon as it clears up I will try jumping it.. I have four switches inside my door.. I am sure one must be for the step.. but I haven't had the chance to really try any of them yet. The switches are labeled CL GR SL ES I am assuming the ES is the step, CL probably coach lights SL side lights? but no clue on GR The PO told me that there is a power drain on the starting batteries so I have kept them disconnected .. that's the reason I haven't had the chance to find out where all the swithches go to yet Smiler

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing Grab Rail.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Gerald, On mine there is a switch inside the door that I just call an override as when it is off the steps do not retract or lift when the door is opened or closed... But even with that switch off the steps will retract if the ignition switch is turned on and the door is closed, and will extend if the door is opened....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Patch, looked around some more but the only switch I could find was in that cluster of 4 switches. I can hear the motor click when I turn on the switch so I know there is power, will try to jump the motor later, I have an appointment to put on new tires in the morning so for now I disconnected the pivot arm from the motor to the step and secured them. Retracted easy then so there is no binding issue with the steps themselves. Even retracted there is still enough step that sticks out that you can still use the steps. They came very close to hitting when I backed into my driveway , should be OK for now

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
I'm having new tires put on this morning... does anyone know the torque I should tell them... 8R x 19.5 Goodyear tires Thanks... Gerald

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

1st month member
posted Hide Post
Just hearing the motor click does not mean that there is enough amperage to run the motor. If you have a battery charger with a ~50 amp start switch, it will drive the motor.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, didn't think about that. Just got back from Goodyear....6 new tires, she pranced all the way home. It sure steers and handles well around town,easy to get around in. Very impressed .. $106.00 for the oil change, thought that was pretty reasonable.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

posted Hide Post
quote:
269-214-0936.

Happy that I found this post, my wife and I now own unit #9103 3726 28BS 1B 1991 BREAKAWAY, He's (named it CLARK) just like family.. jwing72@gmail.com

Posts: 1 | Location: Wood Lake, MN | Member Since: 06-09-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwing72:
quote:
269-214-0936.

Happy that I found this post, my wife and I now own unit #9103 3726 28BS 1B 1991 BREAKAWAY, He's (named it CLARK) just like family.. jwing72@gmail.com

Welcome, Welcome! Welcome! Did that sound a little like Jimmy Fallon?

Another Minnesnowta! I think I’d seen you on Facebook. Was hoping you’d come meet us when we were in Springfield this summer. We will be at Flandreu in New Ulm next week 16-19th. Come over and have an adult beverage if you’d like.

Again Welcome! Questions? Just ask we are here to help!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post