Forums    Barth Sightings/Ads    1985 Barth Regency RD-B Motorcoach (Harrisburg)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1985 Barth Regency RD-B Motorcoach (Harrisburg)
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=205442626

I have a 1985 Barth Regency RD-B for sale. My asking price is firm. I would consider trading an item of equal value.

When this motor home was purchased new it was top of line and approximately $200,000.00.
The motor home was owned by an Orthopedic surgeon who mainly used it for hunting trips.
It was well maintained and had been stored (without use) for ten years. It was stored in a building on concrete. This building was used only to store the Barth.
I purchased this motor home In October 2012.

Took it on one trip and the motor blew up.
It must have the MOTOR replaced.

It has a Detroit Diesel Motor with 68,000 original miles on it. This is a diesel motor and a rebuilt motor is approximately 5000.00.
Buyer is responsible for arranging transport/towing of this motor home.
It is in my drive way at home and will need to be moved.

The Barth is 35 ft.
It has a bedroom in the rear section w/ full size bed, numerous overhead cabinets for storage, end table, his and her closets, lamp, lights, mirrors, windows, blinds, drapes.
The hallway has his and her closets.
There is a pull door to separate the bedroom from the hallway. Next is the full bathroom w/ lighted vanity, sink, toilet & shower, window, blind, curtain and has a roof vent that lets light in nicely. Full kitchen, food pantry, kitchen storage/cabinets, upper and lower cabinets, fridge, freezer, stove, icemaker, convection oven/microwave, double sink - full kitchen with booth style table & flat screen tv. Living area has a couch and two captain style chairs with a small table between.
The front portion has a driver's captain chair and passenger captain chair. Wood grain instrument panel.
The main color of the interior is a mauve shade. Is carpeted. Has blinds, curtains etc. Lots of cabinets for storage. Also has storage under the motor home. Has back up camera. Awning. It has a security system. AC & Heat. Front driver and passenger window defrost fans.
It is large enough to live in or great for traveling. It really has all the amenities.
We call it the bus because it looks like a tour bus. Outside is shades of silver with a dark marroon striping.
Multi Power source. Gasoline generator. Propane Furnace. Two overhead air conditioners.
The tires are in mint condition. Like I stated in the listing, we only drove it one time and it got 10 MPG.

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Does this sound familiar to a story a few years ago but I think the DOA Barth arrived on the West Coast.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I think a rebuilt Detroit Diesel is well over $5000, especially to get it installed. Tires are "mint condition" but it hasn't been driven since 2012? hmm

Good luck with that sale....

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Does this sound familiar to a story a few years ago but I think the DOA Barth arrived on the West Coast.

"Sat May 04 2013 1:34 pm"

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Maybe a large few?
Fits within my theory of time and relativity.
Time perceived (in hours)=1/(hours lived)
2013, just the other day !

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, A Detroit 35’ sounds like the Fuel Saver that will not be rebuilt. If it were a 6v71 or 8v71 rebuilding would be reasonable, but not for $5k. More like $12 K. The chance that a Diesel engine and propane furnace also has a gas generator is almost impossible. Likely it has either the diesel Klanker or a propane fueled one. This one is an MCI if anything.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The 8.2 Detroit Diesel was a disaster from the beginning. Every one I know of has failed prematurely. Many design flaws. No cylinder liners, poor head/gasket design, undersize head bolts, marginal strength in the crankshaft. It has been out of production since 1991 and parts are now scarce.

Most rebuilders will not touch them. If you find a servicable block, maybe. Sadly, many of the design flaws could not be fixed at overhaul time.

Here is an excellent discussion. (From a boat forum but well done.)

https://everythingaboutboats.org/detroit-diesel-8-2/

This is one of the few engines even I would not mess with. I would try to find some other engine to adapt.

Meanwhile, the chassis is MCC. They have independent suspension and a superior ride. However, front brakes are a bit small and there are almost no suspension parts available.

Overall, a huge challenge to maintain and keep running. Sadly the coaches themselves were well made and of high quality.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is one of the few engines even I would not mess with. I would try to find some other engine to adapt.

Steve, I'm disappointed in you. Age and wisdom must be catching up with you. For you not to want a challenge like this. After seeing a MCC coach at 2010 Milford GTG I was intrigued by them. Even looked at and drove 1 in Franklin OH. That one was sold and went to west coast. Never made it. Overheated. Came to my senses and most my use is with in Tri-state and what I have right now are working fine.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It is sad that Barth got into the MCC/Detroit Diesel combination. In the early 80's both the chassis and the engine were relatively new designs and could have been mainstream if they were done right.

The 35 Regencies I have seen were all really nice coaches. High quality interiors and workmanship. As coaches go they were indeed upper cut. They drove well. Barth could not have known the brand new 8.2 diesel from GM would be a dud. I suspect that was also part of the reason the MCC chassis did not catch on.

Fortunately by 86 or so, they moved to the Spartan and Gillig chassis, or they might have been out of business earlier.

Meanwhile, the 8.2 engine design was so compromised as to be surprising from a major company with as much experience as GM. Between block design and crankshaft issues it was doomed.

A low priced coach might be worth salvaging the interior for a restoration project on another chassis... hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I always thought a duromax swap may not be to bad.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Or... forget about the drivetrain and just plop it in a year round site and consider it a vacation home!

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shtym:
Or... forget about the drivetrain and just plop it in a year round site and consider it a vacation home!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
I looked at one of those a few years back. Stopped looking when I could feel the inside of the baggage frame tubing from the outside.(rust) There is no such thing as quality in the RV business. Barth quality is only relative. I owned a GMC 4515 conversion that had a chassis made to be worked on. If only the conversion had been!! Bought the breakaway for what it was going to cost me to finish off the interior. This one would indeed make a wonderful Guest house or vacation home. Or for one or two fulltiming in one spot.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
I own the first Barth Regency built. It has 90,000 miles on it. The only thing that does scare me about it, are the brakes. The 8.2 fuel pincher tho, is great. Love it. Ive had zero issues with it.
The 3208 in my LN8000....nothing but headaches. Its all about upkeep people. Treat it right, dont hammer it(or lug it),watch your temps.
Side note; who cares what it cost when new. Old is old, and broke is broke. Broke aint worth nuthin'.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I did not mean to trash talk the coach but so many have had problems, including brakes.

You obviously have the solution: good upkeep, don't lug it, watch your temps. 90,000 miles is the best I've seen! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp