Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Class C great buy
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
Just returned from a 180+ round trip to view the Silver Bullet"
I called the man earlier today asked the usual questions and got directions to Pinellas Park.
Took one last check of my sanity, called the man back and said I'd be there in about 2 hours. 91 miles later I arrived at an empty driveway. The man said some man stopped by with a dealers plate in hand, drove it around the block and said he would take it. I was told that he drove off about 1/2 hr, before I arrived. I was too stunned to resond in any intelligent manner except where was the buyer from and what was his name, he knew neither. .............and I talked about timing earlier. needless to say I am bummed out

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
BUMMER..bummer..BUMMER..bummer..............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Dick, You are probably lucky you didn't buy that coach from that guy. Any guy that has that little integrity probably wouldn't have hesitated to shaft you if he had the chance. Sorry.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Amen to what Doug Z said. Hard to believe that someone would take $3000 and not know his name or where he was from. In fact, a bill of sale is required in most states, and what about the title, etc,etc? There's something fishy here. And we know for sure that it sat from at least 2002 to 2009 unused. Dick, I just have this feeling that we're both fortunate on this one.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dick, I just have this feeling that we're both fortunate on this one.
Jim

I am sure I am better off. It was meant to be this way. A Turkish friend of mine would have termed it "kizmet".

Thanks Doug.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'll bet we see this one show up again. I'll be watching for it. This story is not fully written I'll bet.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll bet we see this one show up again. I'll be watching for it. This story is not fully written I'll bet

I'll raise that bet, 2X!

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I wanted to bring up a little bit of history as we've been able to document. After the oil embargo hit in October of 1973 the production of the big motorhomes came to a trickle - GM also had a glut of vans on their production line.

The Class C's Barth was designed as a 1974 model. This coach is probably one of "The First Class-C's" that Barth produced.

7308-1409-M19 or... August 6th of 1973 completed date. This Barth was being built end of July, early August, months before the actual event.

Here are a few quotes from various sources on this.
quote:
Mike Umbaugh was astute enough to diversify the company when the first oil embargo hit stateside in 1973-74, turning production to the development of an aluminum high-cube delivery van.
quote:
I also remember the convoy out to Texas, and the Arab Oil embargo. Barth had just started off manufacturing the Mini Motorhome on chopped Chevy van chassis at the time, and was able to diversify quickly into the cubed vans.
quote:
But in I973, like so many other flourishing businesses, outside economic factors would prove to be character builders. Barth certainly wasn't exempt from experiencing the windfall - but they had an ace up their sleeves. "The day before we heard about the energy crunch we had shipped 40 motorhomes by caravan to Texas," Barth said. "We had dealers pick up their motorhomes, and we even had a little party for them. Then when we got half way home, we heard about the crunch. At that point there was no market for motorhomes.

"However, we had been talking with Chevrolet prior to leaving on the trip to Texas about how our type of construction would be excellent for what they called a high cube van. As it turned out, three days later, we looked very seriously about getting into high cube vans. It gave us a market we hadn't been in before. Chevrolet was pleased because all of a sudden they had a high inventory of chopped vans they didn't know what they were going to do with. It worked well for both Chevrolet and Barth because a bunch of high cube vans were being sold to Chevrolet dealers throughout the Midwest. That's what helped us through the crisis." Fortunately, Barth didn't suffer very long. Oh, they built a motorhome on a few occasions, but nothing like what they had seen before 1973. The energy crunch forced Barth to re-direct their efforts to develop a separate but viable part of their business... (continued in next quote)
It sounds to me like Barth also got into the High Cube market to make commercial vehicles because of this. Looks like we may have another Barth chapter to talk about. It would be neat to see an old Class-C that was a work or service vehicle, maybe an old Ma Bell Phone Truck perhaps?
quote:
(cont.)... With the type of construction they had, they knew they could diversify its application toward other businesses. Enter the special vehicle market. Barth found a demand for commercial units, primarily for mobile laboratories, medical clinics, and mobile display units.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Too bad UPS and Fedex weren't around - lots of high cube sales there.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
Picture of Tommy B. Willis
posted Hide Post
After exchanging several emails and then seeing the other pics of the little Barth I decided it was a project that someone else needed to have. In other words , Its Fung Shei just did not feel right.
Tommy

A single conversation with a wise man is better than ten years of study.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes a duty."

8408-3125-28FP3
1985 28' Regal
454 Chevrolet
P32 Chassis

Posts: 56 | Location: Central Mississippi  | Member Since: 05-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought this beauty from some really nice ladies in Florida. Put gas in her and drove her full speed up the interstate all the way to Kentucky. All she needs is a tune up, rebuilt bunk over cab, and some cosmetic updates. I can't wait to get her ready for her first dropzone boogie. Yep she's traveling with the skydiving @pink_sky_girl now!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Mayfield, KY | Member Since: 06-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Glad the Barth found a good new home. It is a rare beast, indeed. Keep us posted on your Barth journeys! Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Reading these links raises questions: Why are these Barths called a Class C when they are class A? Our 1981 Euro is the FP3 floor plan and 22 feet long. It is not a compartment placed on a van or panel truck. Those are what I beleive are class C. Ours has the drop down bunk that the links says was discontinued in 1978. NOT!
What is the proper Class for the slide in shell on a pickup?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The brochure presented multiple class A models and ONE class C model, M22, in three variants, (built on cab-and-chassis).
Misnomers are very common. Many people call every RV a "camper". CAMPER is better limited to pop-up tent or hardball campers and PICKUP campers. Of course, some pickup campers were also pop-up campers.

From Wikipedia:
Contents
1 Class A motorhome. 1.1 Bus conversion. 1.2 Diesel pusher. 1.3 Advantages. 1.4 Disadvantages. ...
2 Class B motorhome (campervan) 2.1 Manufacturers. 2.1.1 Current Manufacturers for the US and Canada markets.
3 Class B+ motorhome.
4 Class C motorhome.
5 Truck camper.
6 Popup camper.
7 Travel trailer.
8 Teardrop trailer.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post