Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fort Stockton Texas Regal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We met up with a 1990 20' Barth Regal at a truck stop in Ft. Stockton yesterday. He was headed west from Louisiana to his house in Arizona. Said he new Billy T.
I-10 was said to be closed from Texas to Arizona last night and this morning due to weather, so we are holed up at the KOA in Van Horn Tx. until tomorrow. Down to 17F last nite with an inch or two of snow and 'sposed to be colder tonight!
Maybe Benson or Tucson tomorrow. Hope it warms up some.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Happened to find this pic my wife took as we were pulling out of the truck stop so thought I'd post it.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What a cutey! Is this the shortest motorhome [class A built as a motorhome] we know of?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
There have been other 20' Class A's.
But not many.
http://www.viewrvs.com/a/argosy/argosy20.php
I looked up Safari Trek, thinking they were made that short, having no bed other than the Magic Bed over the cockpit. I found that those seem to have been only as short as 24'.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
It seems in the back of my mind, that back in the 1970's, Winnebago made an 18' class A.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I just Googled it and Winnebago did make an 18 footer. Basically, a bathroom in back, a kitchen area and 2 sofas.

I remember going skiing (about 1981) to Colorado with a family. We took several vehicles and several of us guys got the dinky little Winnebago. It seemed like it had a 318 and it was roomier than a van...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I should have been clearer. I meant Barth.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3481 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems in the back of my mind, that back in the 1970's, Winnebago made an 18' class A.

The Winnebago D-18's were really cool. They looked the best from 1968 to 1970 and then they rounded off the front point by the grill and it started to look a little wimpier. Before purchasing the Barth I researched them for a while but they lacked quality of construction in comparison with the Barth units. They came with a 318 and unless really well stored, were prone to rusting underneath (in the midwest anyway). There is a real nice example somewhere, I will see if I can find it the 1972

and the 1970

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Neither link worked for me, Kris Ooops

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
A customer had an eighteen or nineteen foot wini way back when. Built on a ford chassis with a 300" Ford 6.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Cortez motorhome 19-21' frontwheel drive was a compact all-steel coach manufactured by the Clark Equipment company of Kent Ohio.

Full timed for 3.5 years in a 1976 model with the 455 cu. inch Oldsmobile Toronado engine. 9-10 mpg.

rb

Here's a few pictures:

Posts: 39 | Location: USA | Member Since: 04-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I had thought the Cortez was equivalent to a Superior, on a Dodge truck chassis.

posted Hide Post
The Cortez had independent torsion bar suspension,roll bar construction, with over 150,000 welds. A boast I heard several times was that there never was a recorded fatality in a Cortez, due to robust construction; that one went over the cliff along the pacific coast highway in Big Sur, California, with the coach occupants surviving.

Rust was a major problem - when cooking, condensation formed on inner roof. Too bad they didn't have an aluminum skin, as did Barth, Revcon, Newell and others. Oxidation, loss of electrons was its undoing for longevity.

Here are a few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortez_Motor_Home

http://www.cortezcoach.com/

rb

Posts: 39 | Location: USA | Member Since: 04-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post