Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of John C.
posted
not mine, just saw it on Craigslist

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/1365303298.html

Like mine, it looks to be in serious need of front springs

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
so, its not ready for a 1000 mile road trip...I have called this guy and begged for more pics, he wont do it. I'm highly interested, but I would need to be able to get it home.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
It may just have the air bags down. That would be an easy thing if they where not leaking. From what I have read it's fairly easy to replace the bags.

I have ordered front springs that will get rid of the bags forever. Might have them by the weekend, if I do then I will be replacing them, the hoses on the front brakes, and inspecting the front pads.

You might ask him if there are bags inside the front springs and if so try to have him air them up. Think replacement bags where under $100.00 for the set.

It would be funny to be walking through airport security with a set of spring or an set of airbags.

John

Now in Progress.

Posts: 64 | Location: Penryn Ca | Member Since: 08-28-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
After seeing more pictures, this coach will need a lot of work. it looks very lived in and not well maintained. The serial No. from the inspection plate is: 75081735MC26C CPL3753304982

I believe that makes this a 26 footer.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Gorman Newman
posted Hide Post
I am a victim of air bags down also. Looking to have a set of springs done to pick the front of my short bus up with the rest of the coach. This must be a common thing huh?

1995 Barth Mobile Office
P-30 454 23'
Data Tag 9505 S0002 23L 01

Posts: 61 | Location: Panama City Beach, Florida | Member Since: 08-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
I would agree that it's a 26 footer. Did you get any pics you could pass on?

Got my springs on order from Henderson in Grants Pass Or. should be here sat or monday.

When I have it up in the air to replace the springs I will also.

1. Replace flexible brake line
2. Inspect front brakes
3. Inspect ball joints and all bushings.

Generally just poke around and see whats up

The springs will get rid of the Airbags completely so I will not have to worry about loosing a bag or keeping an eye on pressure

John

Now in Progress.

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I always thought the advantage to airbags involved the ability to maintain proper stance under a variety of load circumstances. At least that's why I still have them. We load up the coach for the trip, then level it out with the bags to compensate for extra weight front or rear, They also give a very stable feel for the road but I guess new heavy springs would attain that goal too. How about some input from billh? He seems to be pretty knowledgable in this department.
Note, I replaced the fronts a couple years ago, not too pricey or hard to do, just remember to slop them up with something safe and slippery bfore trying to squeeze them into the spring. The failure was due to a misaligned donut at the top which caused friction against steel.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I always thought the advantage to airbags involved the ability to maintain proper stance under a variety of load circumstances.

That certainly is true if the loads vary a lot.

quote:
We load up the coach for the trip, then level it out with the bags to compensate for extra weight front or rear.

Same here, but our Barth load varies the most at the rear. The front is usually the same, or pretty close. But, our water, gas and waste tanks are all at the rear. YMMV.

quote:
They also give a very stable feel for the road but I guess new heavy springs would attain that goal too. How about some input from billh? He seems to be pretty knowledgable in this department.

Air bags were originally added as an afterthought by GM to the motor home chassis to accommodate the extra weight. A previous SOB was downright scary on twisty mountain roads with failed air bags. Present Barth seems much better. I suspect Barth picked a heavier chassis than Southwind did. Or perhaps the stabilizing influence of the tag axle contributes. I fixed the Southwind by installing the blue springs. I have a pair destined for the Barth, but they are not yet installed. Buried in deep storage in anticipation of moving. Frowner

As far as the adjustability, there is not as much change in front weight as at the rear, so I don't see a great advantage in front air bags, other than economy. Air bags cost way less than new springs. However, they don't last as long. I just had to replace a bag.

The suspension only knows whether or not it is at the correct ride height, caster, etc. Whether the spring is air, steel or rubber doesn't mean too much. Air bags are a little bouncier than steel, in theory, but I have noticed this in the real world only in extreme applications.

If the front can't be blown up high enough with 100 lbs, jack the wheel off the ground, put in 100 lbs, and set it back down and bleed off air until there is 1 3/4 to 2 1/2" at the bump stop. Some of this will depend on how deformed the bump stop is, of course, so the factory metal to metal setting is probably more accurate.

And, as John says,
quote:
The springs will get rid of the Airbags completely so I will not have to worry about loosing a bag or keeping an eye on pressure

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John C.:
not mine, just saw it on Craigslist

John
Just an FYI for the future. The "Barths For Sale Forum" is limited to the coaches that are owned by a member here.

The Barth Sighting Forum is where this really belongs.

I have moved this over here so you DO NOT need to delete it...

Each forum is a little different and we know it takes time to get use to a new site. So don't sweat it as we're all pretty easy going here. Computer

Again, just an FYI for the future and thanks for posting this!!! Thumbs Up

quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
After seeing more pictures, this coach will need a lot of work. it looks very lived in and not well maintained. The serial No. from the inspection plate is: 75081735MC26C CPL3753304982

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John C.
posted Hide Post
I tried to talk with this guy also, asked him if the front airbags leaked, he said they all sat like this. Real grumpy old man. Price is ok, but don't expect lots of information from him or much help. Said that someone had lived in it for the last six years and was selling because he died. Sounds like the title may be tied up also.

John

Now in Progress.

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
i send Bill the pics and just realized i can post the pics myself....going back to relick my calf.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
Here is what I have on the phoenix Barth.

I think that is enough.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30