Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ebay '77 - 28'
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
"it is what it is"

...been retired for 17 years, you are right, Mary "I would like to be able to go more often but not enough to get a job" however, I must admit to pondering a few hours a week as a Wally World greeter or sumpthin' beer and bait money

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Dick, Walmart around here has no "Greeters" and the closest one to me is 30 miles round trip. Part time and low wages and I would end up going in the hole to work. Unemployment around my area is high even if I was to seek employment it would be useless.

Please don't misunderstand SmilerI am not complaining, I have all the necessities it is the disposable income that is lacking. I love the quiet and solitude of the area that I live in and give thanks to God for what I have and should not even consider wanting more but I have all this "rolling stock" and not able to use it to it's full potential. Wink

I will get my opportunity next year at the GTG. Big Grin Tooling Along

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
d the closest one to me is 30 miles round trip

wouldn't pay for the gas

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanK:
quote:
Ray Harroun and the Marmon Wasp

I'm surprised you don't see Kammback's on motorhomes and such. It's basically a cut off version of an aerodynamic teardrop. You see it all the time on cars, and that's the extension pieces you see bolted onto some truck trailers now.

My guess would be that it interferes with the inside space efficiency of a box. I remember when the GMC motor home first hit the market, many objected to the lack of interior storage. Same for the rounded Airstreams. Both were way ahead of their time on aerodynamics, but suffered re interior storage.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
Bill, as for tractor-trailers, I am seeing quite a few of these devices in use:
http://techportal.eere.energy....nology.do/techID=507

Nifty. I have spent many an hour lying underneath thinking about belly streamlining. We go off road a little too much for something like that, though. But I still think of a belly pan held on with Dzus fasteners.................

After looking at this and DanK's post re Kammbacks, I see I need to spend more time out on the Interstate looking at big rigs.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Since I spend a lot of time looking at trucks on the interstate and always get new suggestions from the Republic of California how to spend money to save money, they got tons of stuff you can install.
There are some fold out fairings for your rear, kind of looks like a milk carton that is supposed to reduce the swirl behind the trailer. Also got side fairings for the side of the trailer, nose cones for the front and them little airtabs you stick on the side to channel the airflow. Not to forget special tires and round covers you stick over your wheels.

My biggest suggestion: slow down. Higher speed also wears your tires more. Driving 600 miles or more a day you always see the same vehicles passing you several times and at the end they stop at the same place.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Amen to that. I've logged over 3 million miles in 60 years of driving and the key to arriving at my destination relaxed with no tickets is to drive the speed limit. Even on the Interstates, I drive Old Blue no more than 60 mph. In a car, I keep it at 70 or less. That's how I get 27mpg on my 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. Call me an old fuddy if you want, but I have had zero accidents in those 3 million miles.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post