Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Slide In Camper
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Night Sailor
posted
I am now the newest owner of a Barth Slide In Truck Camper, previously advertised on this site. it sits on a Silverado K3500 D/A dually pickup--which seems to carry it well, without any issues.

It needs a lot of work, so I'll try to post some pictures as I sort out the issues. In any event, I'm pleased with the purchase, and hope some of the mechanical work. I'll find out tomorrow.

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your purchase!!! Thumbs Up I was wondering what you were up to when you asked for a camper jackstand a few weeks back. hmm

So, which one did you get?

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...423931967#4423931967

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...513940857#4513940857

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...353905757#7353905757

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...=125101662#125101662

I could go on, there were several within the last year.

Do you have the number off of this tag, circled in RED? Would love to see a few pictures. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post
The first two are the same camper, located in Connecticut--that is now mine. The other one in Portland looks nice but is a bit too far from me. I was not interested in a fuel hog military pickup/camper combo. BTW his fuel Economy could not be better than 15 and probably worse.

I bought a 1000 lb jack and it was a mistake. I needed the bigger one, and I'm still looking for an old style square crank type.

So, mine is the one with the bent up ladder--I plan to take that off and see if I can straighten it out some.

I unloaded it today. Tomorrow, I'm buying some concrete blocks and lowering it onto a firmer base so I can start working. I'd actually like to get it down close to the ground, which might be difficult.

Questions:

Does anyone know what sort of insulation is in these things? I found some foam sheets on the wall where the battery and propane tanks sit.

I would like to clean it up and see if I can start using it in a few weeks to visit a friend in Canada, and I'll need heat, so insulation is important to me as it will still be cold up there.

I am wondering how hard it would be to take this thing completely apart, and if I'd ruin the cabinets in the process. I have never taken one of these apart. I have more experience with boat repair than camper repair.

While much of it seems in good shape, I'd like it to be cosy inside for me and the dog, and perhaps one other person.

I traded a laptop for a couple of solar panels recently and now I can pick up a whole trailer which is being junked, for $500. It has a brand new $1600 two way fridge, the stove looks like all stainless steel but it will take some scrubbing to find out, an air conditioner, good toilet, a good 4kW generator, nice stainless steel range hood, and a bulky but nice surface mount non-vented propane heater which requires no electricity (I like this, but am not sure where I can put it except over the dinette.

I need to measure to see if this huge fridge will fit in the hanging locker. Some of this stuff will not fit, and some will. I also found some sort of new part for either the water heater of the furnace. I have a hunch the camper will clean up good except for the back which needs some surgery. Two of the cabinets have veneer peeling and broken. It might be easy enough to put new veneer on all of them. One cabinet door is missing and one cover adjacent to the batter looks like a poor quality replacement panel.

I am going to try it out as is with a porty potti. For the long term I'm debating putting a cargo platform under the back of the camper mounted on the hitch to carry black and gray water tanks, possibly generator, and optionally more water. There is no head in the camper and there is a discharge under the back left corner of the camper, so I don't think there is any holding tank. A folding staircase would mount there nice

My goal is 3-4 weeks of hang time while boondocking.

Posts: 13 | Location: Connecticut | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post
For some reason the first picture did not post and this forum is not running the best software, or else I could edit it. So here is the picture.

Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post
I also wanted to say that I really like the look of the aluminum camper on my silver, Silverado. It is a 2001 K3500 Duramax/Alison. I found that it carried it fine, no issues and I don't think I'll need to make any suspension changes.

Picture of Night Sailor
posted Hide Post

No tag on this camper as previous discussed in another thread. I did find the above decal which shows it must have been built after 1968. The seller thought it was a 1972 vintage camper, but there is no evidence of this that I've seen. I will be looking at some of the equipment to see if I can date those items. For example the Fridge is a Hadco 410. Also there is a funky water tank with a small compressor to pressurize it. I will try and get that working, just for grins.

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I found one just like yours for my friend Damon who is in NH. He runs a Porsche shop called Series 900 in Sunapee. He's from Ct originally.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Night Sailor:
For some reason the first picture did not post and this forum is not running the best software, or else I could edit it.
It's a defense mechanism we have here. Post a few times and we give you the ability to edit your posts. We've had a few spammers who come on and post junk - then go back and edit it to insert junk links to spam sites - we do this to "Check You Out" before kicking in all of the bells and whistles... You're now, good to go!!! Enjoy Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Night Sailor:
I also wanted to say that I really like the look of the aluminum camper on my silver, Silverado. It is a 2001 K3500 Duramax/Alison. I found that it carried it fine, no issues and I don't think I'll need to make any suspension changes.
man nice buy,looks good old classic in newer pickup truck ,good luck on Fixing it up ,Greg in ohio

Posts: 73 | Location: mosquito valley ohio(west central ohio) | Member Since: 12-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post