Tools
Reply To This Topic

95 Breakaway on ebay yet again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One thing is becoming clear to me: Dealers depend on being only slightly less ignorant of the coaches (Barth and otherwise) they offer for sale than those they hope to sell the units to.

Only one dealer I shopped a few years ago when looking was a small one (Buddy's, then in Liberty, MO, now in Holt, MO) had a salesman who was very knowledgeable about what Buddy had for sale. He was a fellow Floridian, and spent 9 months a year in MO, and told me no coach was offered for sale until he had driven it a couple of hundred miles and spent a couple of days learning everything about it he could. He certainly knew everything about every coach on the lot.

Actually, the small local dealership I frequent has extremely knowledgeable people (and I always attract a gathering when I bring my Barth in).

But those are rare. Most dealers are concerned only with turning a buck, and depend on buyers' ignorance of the underlying value.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Veggie -
I just joined this site because an RV salesman suggested a Barth might be the answer to what I was trying to find in Bluebird. (I started looking at Bluebird after buying a Safari Trek that I concluded on closer inspection isn't the answer.)

Since it appears you are looking for a Barth Breakaway, and since I presume you're going to convert it to wvo, I'm wondering what else you considered before deciding to go for the Breakaway (or any other Barth you finally do opt for).

What I've considered is:
Early Treks use a small Isuzu diesel that has a good reputation. But they use propane generators, have fiberglas end caps and crushable fiberglass bumpers (though they do have aluminum sides), and a roof whose only support is 1"x3" or so wood planks and plywood.

Reasonably priced Bluebird pushers of the mid 80s have steel bodies, steel ends, steel roofs, and reputable (I believe) detroit diesel motors and good size (12.5kw) diesel generators.
They also have lots more basement storage than Treks.

From what I've seen on the Barth website it appears the Breakaway has an aluminum skeleton and skin all the way around, and a Cummins motor and (at least in some cases) a diesel generator (up to 10kw ?)

What I'm looking for obviously is something likely to last both engine-wise and body-wise, something that can take a normal life-long beating. Basement storage is important as I presume that's where wvo tanks have to go, and also the wvo collection/filtration apparatus. Diesel generator is important because wvo can't run anything else. (My inspiration for this is the Wanderlodge Elbee that I imagine you're familiar with at
liquidsolarpower.com, also presented at frybrid.com)

So, presuming you've reconnoitered the territory and are familiar with the RVs I've mentioned, I'm wondering:
1) your opinion about longevity of the DD versus the Cummins and their respective suitability for conversion.
2) your (more informed, I hope) opinion of Barth basement storage capacity and body longevity/integrity.
3) any other considerations that point you to Barth
4) Given your own investigations, if money were no object, would you gravitate to something besides the Barth?

Thanks.

Posts: 15 | Location: az | Member Since: 10-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
If money were no object? Hard for me to empathize. Yeah, I'd probably get a Prevost. But on the other hand, Barth people are the kind of folks I like to hang around with. I'd probably get a 30/32 foot Regency pusher, with a 6-speed, redo it from the ground up, spare no expense, and have one of the finest motor homes in existence, and still be able to hang with my buddies.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3160 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
barth anyone?, there are some things that might be of interest about the different Barth lines:

1. Breakaways almost always have an LPG generator; the other diesel Barths usually have diesel gensets. I converted mine to a Honda gaso genset, and the conversion was well-worthwhile, but it's not for the faint-hearted (a lot of simple fabrication work and not cheap - but the Honda fuel consumption is 40% of the Kohler, and much, much quieter).

2. With the exception of same '94 and later Breakaways and all Monarchs and Sovereigns, and 34'+ Regencies, basement storage can be quite modest. I had dreamed of a Regency 32' when I move and don't have the nasty driveway turns, but discovered I actually have more basement storage than that, and 28' is just the right size for my two dogs and me (We've spent a total of 35 weeks and 35,000 miles in it).

The body of a Barth will be around long after we aren't.

3. I prefer the Cummins and Cat over the DD.

4. The only other coaches that I'd consider besides Barth are Beaver, Foretravel, Bluebird, Sahara, and Hawkins. None of those makes a diesel pusher under 32', and my Breakaway is a tight fit around the trees and turns in my driveway.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barth anyone?:
Hey Veggie -
I just joined this site because an RV salesman suggested a Barth might be the answer to what I was trying to find in Bluebird.

Reasonably priced Bluebird pushers of the mid 80s have steel bodies, steel ends, steel roofs, and reputable (I believe) detroit diesel motors and good size (12.5kw) diesel generators.
They also have lots more basement storage ... Basement storage is important as I presume that's where wvo tanks have to go, and also the wvo collection/filtration apparatus. Diesel generator is important because wvo can't run anything else. (My inspiration for this is the Wanderlodge Elbee that I imagine you're familiar with at
liquidsolarpower.com, also presented at frybrid.com)

So, presuming you've reconnoitered the territory and are familiar with the RVs I've mentioned, I'm wondering:...

2) your (more informed, I hope) opinion of Barth basement storage capacity and body longevity/integrity.
Thanks.

Barth Anyone,
Regarding older Wanderlodge vs Barth. The only Barth that is near comparable 'tween the two would be the Barth Regency, Monarch or Sovereign models because of diesel generators, full air suspension, air brakes and air shifter, and outside storage capacity.
You say outside storage is important. For comparison purposes here is what we have. Five outside compartments, 2 on the street side and 3 on the curb side.
Street side there is one forward 68"L X 28" deep and one aft only 23"L X 28" deep. Curb side forward, 32"L X 56" deep; middle, 82"L X 28" deep; and aft, 23"L X 45" deep. All 5 compartments are the same height, only 22". ... wish they were taller. I think that the Monarch built on the Spartan Mountain Master chassis has taller compartments. Obviously, compartment length is dependent on over all length of the coach I suppose.
Hope this helps.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 754 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post