Reply To This Topic

95 Breakaway on ebay yet again
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by izomage:
Well, this is proof that mildew responds to stimulus. In fairness his status should be upgraded at least to that of a lichen.

It will be interesting to see if he changes the listing, I have emailed him back with the decoding of his tag. I don't know anyway to let bidders know about the discrepancy.
Nick

Posts: 1802 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not measure the coach when I seen it, however, it did not appear to be cramped inside like most 30 foot coachs I've seen. My guess, it's a 33 footer. This is a one of a kind coach, the exception to the rule.

Posts: 26 | Location: Moreno Valley, Ca. | Member Since: 04-11-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
I think at an auction it is the bidders responsibility to be knowledgeable and to look out after themselves. I doubt the seller intended to misrepresent the Barth, he simply didn't know what he had, even though he has had several months to find out. Those of us who frequent this forum have a tremendous advantage in determining the value of an offering like this one.

Posts: 167 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Wrong size, wrong body style, multiple sales... If this was a stolen unit and the tags were swapped, would anyone know?

It measures out at 32' and the data tag says it's 30'... I would love to check the VIN that is stamped into the frame.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 7289 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The data tag matches better with the GVW (18K) for a 30' than it does for a 32' (20K).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
I just checked this listing again and the owner now states that the Barth is a 30 ft Breakaway based on new information received from two ebayers. That means both Nick Cagle and I told him what we think and he believes us ( the fool ! ) Even so I think we may consider elevating him in the natural order based on this disclosure.

Posts: 167 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
Well believe it or not here is the Data tag on this coach. 9409-3934-30LK-19B. Every tag we have gathered so far would say this is a 30 foot coach.

I wonder what the 30LK-19B means.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just checked this listing again and the owner now states that the Barth is a 30 ft Breakaway based on new information received from two ebayers. That means both Nick Cagle and I told him what we think and he believes us ( the fool ! ) Even so I think we may consider elevating him in the natural order based on this disclosure.

Declined! Considering the fact the seller has resolutely tried to market this as a 32/33' Regency, then stepped it down, increment-by-increment, arriving finally at what it is, he should get no quarter...

But that's my own opinion, thinking that anyone selling anything online should know what he's offering.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8200 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I wonder what the 30LK-19B means.

bill h, I'm sure the 30 is the length. I have two Breakaways, Rusty's and this one that have a 'L' where all the other Breakaways have a 'B'. Both of them are the only ones with the 6.5 instead of the Cummins. Don't know what this means but now you know as much as I do.
Nick

Posts: 1802 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
I have two Breakaways, Rusty's and this one that have a 'L' where all the other Breakaways have a 'B'. Both of them are the only ones with the 6.5 instead of the Cummins. Don't know what this means but now you know as much as I do.
Nick

I wonder if the "L" Barths are a different model.

I wonder if there are any brochures out there that would illuminate.

Or were they special prototypes?

Or just custom?

I wonder what besides the engine/trans package is different on these models.

L=Limited?

Aside from Limited being a WAG on my part, Barth seemed to like designations priviously used in automobiles. Olds had a Regency, Mercurey had a Monarch, Buick had a Regal. Buick had a Limited. And the SE meant Special Edition, which has been a staple of automobile designation, ranging from the Lamborghini Gallardo to the Honda Accord. Special Edition denotes a type of thinking that could come up with Limited. Aristocraft and Sovereign are also automotive names.

Or maybe the L was part of LE, which we might guess to be Limited Edition, a term also used in automotive designation. (We will resist the temptation to mention the Velocette Noddy Bike of the same designation). NADA shows a 94 Breakaway LE 28 footer. It was $88k, where the 28 Regal was $93k. The straight Breakaway front entrance 29' was $127k.

I am wondering if the LE had a lower cost drivetrain.

A while back, a member of the Barth Rangers had an ad selling his 28 ft Regal with a 6.5 pusher diesel engine. I am fairly sure he was correct in calling it a Regal, but there was no mention of the L designation.

I am at a loss to even guess why the 28 Breakaway LE cost less than the 28 Regal of the same year. The transmissions were probably the same.

Perhaps L stood for Light. Following the automotive example, Mercedes did that with their SS, SSK, and SSKL designations. It could have been built lighter to help the GM diesel push it down the road. Less metal could have had some bearing on the lower price. I wonder what the distance between rivet rows was on the L models. We did look at a Barth way back when that had the rivet rows farther apart. Now that I think of it, the sales guys at the lot claimed not to know what model Barth it was, nor what engine it had in it. Perhaps they were trying to hide the GM diesel.

It was front entry, so it didn't pass the Susan test.

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
Upon careful reconsideration of all of the facts in the epic journey of this 30' Breakaway, aka 32' Barth Regency, I now support Rusty fully in his original appraisal of the seller. In my book he doesn't even get much credit for listening to two strangers telling him what he is selling. He should have done his own research and put this Barth to the Stanley Fat Max test a long time ago.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wonder if the "L" Barths are a different model.

I wonder if there are any brochures out there that would illuminate.

Or were they special prototypes?

Mine is known to be the prototype for the '94 and later 28' Breakaways. Besides the engine change, basement storage has 4-5X the volume of the pre-'94s.

quote:
Or just custom?

I wonder what besides the engine/trans package is different on these models.

L=Limited?

Or maybe the L was part of LE, which we might guess to be Limited Edition. NADA shows a 94 Breakaway LE 28 footer. It was $88k, where the 28 Regal was $93k. The straight Breakaway front entrance 29' was $127k.

My Breakaway had a sticker of about $116,000 new.

quote:
I am wondering if the LE had a lower cost drivetrain.

I am at a loss to even guess why the 28 Breakaway LE cost less than the 28 Regal of the same year. The transmissions were probably the same.

I don't think it did - NADA's incorrect. My coach has a 4L80E tranny.

quote:
Perhaps L stood for Light. Following the automotive example, Mercedes did that with their SS, SSK, and SSKL designations. It could have been built lighter to help the GM diesel push it down the road. Less metal could have had some bearing on the lower price. I wonder what the distance between rivet rows was on the L models. We did look at a Barth way back when that had the rivet rows farther apart. Now that I think of it, the sales guys at the lot claimed not to know what model Barth it was, nor what engine it had in it. Perhaps they were trying to hide the GM diesel.

IIRC, both the Cummins 28' Breakaways and the GM-engined have the same GVW - 16,000 lbs. Rib spacing on mine is: Lower: Mostly 15.5", a couple at 19". Upper: 31.5"

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
I looked this up before but forgot to post, last time this coach was up for auction on ebay.
On NADA, in '95 there is a 31' REGAL Pusher listed.
Since the Regal is downstream in terms of trim and a little lighter duty when they were the pullers, they did come with a 6.2 GM like the one 87, I think 28' Puller that was from Ohio, Dave mentioned having met the happy couple in their 80's.
Okay, so my guess is that it is a regal valued at about 22K by NADA, because it does have a "lighter" weight look to it than most breakaways I've seen. The trim behind the bed is alomost a dead ringer for what I saw in that Ohio puller.
Maybe that L on the tag is for Rega"L". Just my guess.

1983 Mercedes 300 SD Turbo Diesel...
...Rudolph Diesel ran his first one on peanut oil, I use soybean in mine.
Looking for a nice Breakaway.

Posts: 21 | Location: Scotts Valley CA | Member Since: 03-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
I'm really not quite sure why I bother to keep up with this listing, morbid curiosity I suppose, and the fact that it is Barth of some description. It attained a high bid of $20.1K and did not reach the sellers reserve. The seller did lower his buy it now price to $26.5K. I just can't wait to see it on ebay again. IIRC the seller received a high bid at another auction of something like $36K and rejected it as too low. I think that is an example of both ignorance and greed not even displayed by mildew.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm really not quite sure why I bother to keep up with this listing.

I follow this and all similar listings because we are learning what is what. The more of these we study, the more we will be able to recognize what Barth is what. Some sellers are uninformed and some are duplicitous, but, either way, an informed buyer will be a happier buyer. If I ever go upmarket, this information will be very helpful to me.

We all owe a big Thank You to Nick for his efforts in putting together the ID tag numbers.