Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1980 Mobile x-ray lab
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Daddo
posted
Thought I saw a familiar pair of headlights on my way into Lewistown, PA this past weekend. Stopped in and talked to the proprietor. Turns out he purchased this 1980 Barth out of the Pittsburgh area. It was originally constructed as a mobile x-ray lab. It sits on a Dodge chassis with a 440 gasser. All the x-ray equipment has been removed. One thing I found interesting is the raised roof the entire length of the vehicle. "Not really for sale" according to the owner but "if someone made the right offer......."

L. Smith & Son RV, Lewistown, PA

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Roofline is the same as my Command Center although mine is GMC Chassis with 454 chevy.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the sighting - if you're back in the area, or someone else see it, please get the data tag number of this coach.

It seems that Dodge wasn't very popular for Barth and it might be interesting to know what the GVW and Chassis Configuration was. M50... perhaps an M60 maybe?

I can't really tell - Does this have a tag axle? It looks kind of long in the picture - based upon how far forward that axle is, it probably does have a tag axle. If it is, this'll be the first Dodge with that setup that we've seen. Or, sad to say, it'll be inducted into the "Overhang Hall Of Shame".

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Daddo
posted Hide Post
This unit does have a tag axle. The owner described to me how he encountered problems with the brakes on the tag axle when he was driving it home. He also mentioned he has all the drawings/schematics for the coach as well. I'll try to get in and get a shot of the data tag the next time I go by there. The passenger side of the vehicle is pretty close to a bank which is overgrown and I wasn't ready to do any bushwhacking when I was there. I'm sure he'd let me in to get the info. It is a neat shell. I find myself daydreaming about what I could do with all that length and headroom.

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post