Forums    Barth Sightings/Ads    1979 Barth Ranger 29' $2000 (Melbourne,FL)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1979 Barth Ranger 29' $2000 (Melbourne,FL)
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
1979 Barth ranger,
454 motor,
doesn't run
needs fuel pump
paint job
29'
transmission: automatic
see pic
call or text:
☎ (321) 288-3979

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:

1979 Barth ranger,
☎ (321) 288-3979

Barth Ranger?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Another great project coach, its funny I look at the dealer prices on 2000 and above units and they are pretty high, here we have these beautiful older units, probably better bones and few grand will make then very useable, I guess todays younger folks do not want to put the work into them. too bad!!

I wonder if a guy with access to reasonable skilled and unskilled labor, a paint gun. Who would buy these grand ole beauties could make enough to keep some of these derelicts alive. Buy them for a couple of grand put 5 0r 6 into them could one sell them 8, or 9k?? Probably not!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
I plan on checking and hopefully buying this fela, owner sent pics and its nice inside. hope its mine when I get down to FLA next week for my new job.

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that JIM, and welcome to Barthmobile.com

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just hope I dont run into fuel tank issues. been sitting a few months since it was last driven.

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Duane88 has posted about fuel filters and an auxiliary fuel pump. There is lots of information here. Doorman is also very familiar with filters on these rigs. Good luck with your attempt to purchase and the new job.

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Replacing the fuel pump is not to bad of a job, you might have a bit of problem with the push rod I used a thin piece of plastic to hold it in place pulled it out before I tighten it. Others used a glob of grease on the end to glue it up in engine. I was not fast enough so it did not hold when I tried that. Good access can be had if you get up in the passenger side wheel well only 2 bolts and a gasket, I cussed the fuel lines hooking them back up to the pump get underneath for this job and to take them off too.

Put a new filter in the carburetor for sure and keep a spare, later on if you get a miss under high throttle load replace this first. My coach was not used for a couple of years, there was rust in the tanks, an inline filter had been installed back by the fuel tanks I would replace yours before starting the engine.

Now the fun part, these guys love to vapor lock, lots of work can be done, but for a short trip and a 90% fix I would also install a low pressure electric fuel pump as close to the fuel tank as possible and put an inline filter in front of it. In the long run and I have not taken this advice myself from SteveVW a TBI (throttle body injection) unit is the ultimate.

Save this old girl and you will love it...Good luck!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yeah if its like the SBC you can run a longer bolt in the top hole infront of the pushrod to hold it in place ...just dont forget the remove and replace it with the stock bolt..lol

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I had to replace a fuel pump on my port sbc, hot engine in the middle of the river. Fortunately I had a spare on board. I used a thumbnail size piece of toilet paper to hold the rod in place. Figured it wouldn't block anything on its way to the filter. About 550 hours later no problems.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
I had to replace a fuel pump on my port sbc, hot engine in the middle of the river. Fortunately I had a spare on board. I used a thumbnail size piece of toilet paper to hold the rod in place. Figured it wouldn't block anything on its way to the filter. About 550 hours later no problems.

I forgot about your TP trick! A great idea.... I like the long bolt thing also, never know when one will need to improvise.

P30 chassis
350 engine

posted Hide Post
Well I bought it, I pulled the air cleaner off, poured some fuel in the bowl, installed a hot battery and it fired right up . took a but but it started running on its on, nothing wrong with the fuel pump. and it switches between both tanks, but the gas it really old, he said it hasnt ran in 2 years ..lol pulled the filter out of the carb and it wasnt full of rust so that is a good sign. has some roof leaks , but its still solid. I was surprised to find it has rear disc brakes , is that stock?

posted Hide Post
BTW it ran and drove, already has headers and duals with turbo mufflers, trans wasnt shifting at first stuck in 1st gear but after some goosing the governor freed up and it shifted perfect. good power for a large beast. it neeeds some tlc but I think its got good bones. Anyone install a hitch? I need to install one when I go back to get it so I can tow my truck back.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Another great project coach, its funny I look at the dealer prices on 2000 and above units and they are pretty high, here we have these beautiful older units, probably better bones and few grand will make then very useable, I guess todays younger folks do not want to put the work into them. too bad!!

I wonder if a guy with access to reasonable skilled and unskilled labor, a paint gun. Who would buy these grand ole beauties could make enough to keep some of these derelicts alive. Buy them for a couple of grand put 5 0r 6 into them could one sell them 8, or 9k?? Probably not!

Duane, you have had several chances to get into the Mary Ray club. There is still time though.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the data tag. Your data tag has arrived at photobucket. If you like try posting the tag. You are sure to catch on here quickly.
Thanks to our inside helpers for shrinking the photos too.