Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1984 28 footer
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jsloan
posted
The one I looked at today.

Pretty clean underneath. Needs a bath, some paint...carpet...mechanically sound I think.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
Lotsa looks, but no comments. He is askin 7k. I need some feedback people!

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
This coach is 25 years old, which says a lot for any vehicle. Barths have good bones, & a good name, & that's what gives them value. The rear bath 28 footer is probably the most popular floor plan. It's practical, & the size is modest.

$7K doesn't sound like a bad price if there are no major issues with the coach or mechanical components. At the end it's your decision, always remembering that fair market value is determined by agreement between a willing buyer & a willing seller, & a Barth is an investment in fun, not a financial investment.

Most coaches this age have a lot of deferred maintenance. I think most of us have spent at least $5K on mechanical repairs, upgrades, replacing appliances, etc. before we were satisfied with our coaches. At least two had an engine blow on the way home from the purchase, & another one burned to the ground on the way home. One or two have been pleasantly surprised at how reliable their coaches were from day one, & how little they had to spend to bring the coach up to their standards.

Whether you buy this one or not, be prepared to spend some money on your coach. You may be disappointed if it's a lot, pleasantly surprised if it's a little.

This coach is a quarter-century old. At the end, you alone are responsible for deciding whether the possible risks or rewards of buying a coach that age predominate. It has been often-stated in this blog that an advantage of the Barth is that won't fall apart faster than you can repair it.

I'd offer this advice if you decide to make a deal: 1) Don't move it from where it's parked until you have insured it, including a good road service policy. 2) Lube, oil, & filter, at least; double check the condition of the antifreeze, & replace any suspect mechanical mechanical components; tires, belts, brakes, etc. before you leave town.

Most coaches receive little use. Those for sale have usually been parked for longer than usual. Stuff deteriorates faster from disuse than from regular use, & that's why a lot of folks have had trouble on the way home. The more you can forestall by doing deferred maintenance before you start home, the better off you'll be.

Others may have more advice, but good luck whatever you decide.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
I need some feedback people!
Seeing that we talked about this in the Chat Room last night, I decided not to post the same answer. I figured you were interested in it and I didn't want someone jumping you to get it.

To recap... Big Grin
Mary Ray: just do it!
Bill N.Y.: You go for it
Mary Ray: you have our permission to purchase it
Rusty: we can't give permission to buy until he posts 30 more pix
jsloan: i dont have 30 more pics
Rusty: Then you don't have our permission...:roflmao:

BTW: we are usually in the chat room talking about different things. Stop by after 9pm Eastern is your best bet... Last nights topic was Jeff's snoring and my sleeping habits. Rusty came in after the setup and said..."Coming into the chat during an odd interchange"

Yes, you would have had to been there. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsloan:
I need some feedback people!

I will echo Roy's post, word for word.

And, here I go with my usual kvetch: NO FLOOR PLAN!

What's with these people? How hard is it to make a simple drawing? BTW, graph paper is really great if accuracy is a consideration.

When I was Barth shopping, I bugged the heck out of sellers as to the plan and measurements. I fly for free, and looked at a number, but I wouldn't walk to the next block to look at a coach without seeing a floor plan.

OK, now that that is out of my system, my own preference here is against a rear bath.

There is a some floor plan discussion HERE.

And HERE.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
This is a decision that only you can make. Did you go back today and drive it? Did it say "take me home". If there are no real problems with the coach and it is what you and the wife like then "take it home". Like Olroy said, some have good luck and some don't, but I have always been a gambler and have come out lucky on the two that I have. There have been some necessary repairs and some money spent just because I wanted something for my coach ( that I may not have needed) but it is my money.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW: we are usually in the chat room talking about different things. Stop by after 9pm Eastern is your best bet... Last nights topic was Jeff's snoring and my sleeping habits. Rusty came in after the setup and said..."Coming into the chat during an odd interchange"

Yes, you would have had to been there.

Another odd thing was that I had been in the room for a half-hour, then exited (no one was there), and immediately re-entered. This is s common "feature" of the chat room.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Did he buy this thing or not. The suspense is killing me Confused

Mary

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
So tune back in next week when .......
Mary Ray it is getting me too. Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
"Did he buy it or not"

Jsloan was on the chat room last night and he is still thinking about it.

Mary

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
It's a positive. I will have a Barth in my driveway this week.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

posted Hide Post
Jslone,
You better hope some Barth nut with a roll in his pocket don't come down that hwy and spot my girl sittin out front. LOL :-)

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogill:
You better hope some Barth nut with a roll in his pocket don't come down that hwy and spot my girl sittin out front.
This is your coach then? Last time we heard from you it was 12/01/05. Good luck with the sale... Thumbs Up If you have any additional pictures send 'em my way and I'll get them up for you. Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jslone,
You better hope some Barth nut with a roll in his pocket don't come down that hwy and spot my girl sittin out front. LOL :-)

Hey!! Eeker That ain't funny! I'm gonna be over there to pick that baby up tomorrow or Wednesday....and park that thing around back where it wont attract any attention! Big Grin

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, yes its me and mine and it has been awhile since I've been on the forum. I didn't have a "for Sale" sign on her and was not all that motivated. Jslone just had a sharp eye and good timing.

Truth is, we've used her very little since the wife's 5-way bypass surgery eighteen months ago and I hate to see her just sit there, unused on a regular basis. We all know that is the worst scenario for a Barth or any MH.

I just put new rubber on her last year and have less than 100 miles on the new tires.

He's going to have to repair or put new headers on the generator and rebuild the generator tray so I cut the price accordingly. This is the coach I bought from old poster "Ron" in 2004.

I told jslone to check out this forum and search for post of "Dogill @ Ron" and he would find every problem that Ron or I ran across during our ownership. I credit my friend Ron, NASA EE, for not only saving this Barth, but making many great improvements to her, including but not limited to new Torley headers w/flow masters, air bag shocks, new frig, and going through all the electrical circuitry.

The old girl still runs like a top as Ron and/or I spared no expense on maintenance.

I told jslone everything that ya'll told him about a 25 year old MH, "expect to always expect anything and always carry spare everything (belts, hoses, fuses, etc, etc,). Things will happen, even to the new quarter million dollar rigs like Ron bought (LOL).

I hope it will make jsloan as good a MH as it did us and he seems like he will fit right in with you guys. And, I can't thank you guys enough for holding my hand through the gremlins I experienced as a newbie Barth owner.

btw, nice pics Jeff!

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post