Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gas pusher still for sale
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We looked at this one a couple of years ago.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/rvs/959979018.html

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 754 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
What did you think of this unit Don? I am tryin to find a coach for Bob Jones out of Royal Oak...(I drove himself, his wife and his daughter to a Mi. State Tailgate party in Lansing this year and the wife is getting motivated to buy sooner or later). From the pics it looks like a reasonably clean unit,...was it maintained?

Posts: 512 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
A search using Gas Pusher turns up a lengthy discussion of this coach, and another? in California.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3620 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
What did you think of this unit Don?

...From the pics it looks like a reasonably clean unit,...was it maintained?
Far be it from me to talk bad about any Barth... But, this coach has issues and one of our members drove from NH to bring this coach back home.

After looking at it one day, he stayed overnight. Trying to convince himself that it was worth it, he rechecked it again the next day. Obviously, he passed.

Get The Data Tag number!!! - If it's 8810 3569 34RG0 B2 then we have a match.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 7305 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Looking at the discussions from 9-07, this coach was listed at $13000. Nothing seams to have changed except the price, now $6500. That could make this one a little more desirable.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3620 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would recommend it only to either a gambler or a person willing and able to deal with any cooling issues that present themselves, particularly hot hill climbing.

That could include air flow management in the rear or moving the radiator to the front. Heck, even Barth did the front radiator thing on a few diesel pushers.

But maybe a buyer would get lucky and be OK with just the addition of a big electric radiator fan.

I seem to remember it was pretty heavy, as well.

But, as Danny says, the price reduction does make it attractive, especially to a flatlander.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
the price reduction does make it attractive, especially to a flatlander.

It sures does Bill, me included.....As a non-towing flatlander, this just might be worth a look......

I LUV the idea of a pusher for driver/pax noise comfort, the Sherman Tank'ish chassis and the relative simplicity & parts cost of a proven gasser.....

If temp management is an issue, what da ya think about an additional, in-line radiator, mounted horizontally on the roof w/ electric fan, all neatly covered w/ an AC shroud, w/ plumbing routed thru closet/cabinet areas? (Didn't the old Flxible busses have a similar set-up?)

Home-to-coach for me is 166 miles, definately within the curious to semi-serious range...Hmmmm

I'd really like to hear more observations from those of you who have kicked this unit's tires....
(shell condition, dings,dents, paint,interior needs, etc)

Then again, if it's been over-cooked too much already, it might very well be a lemon-in-the-rough...(Are there any easy tell-tale signs of an over-temp history one can look for?)

Posts: 1411 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee. It has an Oshkosh chassis and an Allison transmission, but I can't remember which one. It had a full set of blueprints and I think it was 34' long.
The 460 in back looked tiny. You could literally crawl inside the engine compartment and stand around in there.
The outide looked quite presentable as I remember it. The inside was kinda worn out. It had hardwood flooring that would need refinishing and I remember the toilet was not fastened down well. The unit is a side aisle with a huge bathroom. The salon and galley is no bigger than a 28' Regal because of the area taken up by the bathroom.
When we looked, it had N. Carolina plates on it and I believe it had been lived in by someone for a few years.
It must be a heavy load for that Ford V8 to push around.
Wish I had written some stuff down and got the data plate info but that wasn't an issue at the time.
We had come to the area to look at a 30' Breakaway. They were asking $13k for it back then.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 754 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I asked for data tag numbers and received this reply: "There is a lot of tag numbers. What else would you like to know"

I asked again specifically for the VIN and model number and told them wehre to find it so, we'll see. I'm curious where they were looking that they saw " a lot of tag numbers."

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I drove this coach almost four years ago when it was for sale by a used car dealer in Ft. Mill, SC, which is just over the line from Charlotte, NC. At the time, it was over $30000. The body and interior were pretty good, but it had absolutely no guts whatsoever. Driving down the highway at 50 mph, I floored it and it did nothing. Max speed on the flat was maybe 60. Yes, it was a very heavy coach which was probably why the Ford had lots of trouble pushing it around. And I just couldn't get excited about a rear engined gas pusher. There's lots of comments about heating problems. I'd take a front engined 454 or 460 anytime. I would not buy this coach at any price. Well, maybe for nothing if you could put a diesel in it without too much trouble.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3507 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Good feedback guys - Thanks......Sounds like weight, performance & cooling issues make this unit less-than-ideal......

I guess if a 33'/Oshkosh/460 gas pusher
was a winning combo, there would be a lot more of them out there....so I'll take a pass.....

But just out of curiosity, we've got Bill NY with a 33'/Oshkosh/460 gas puller and I don't read anything about weight or performance issues.
What's with that? ....... Confused

Posts: 1411 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill knows how to make things work, even Ford engines!! Sorry all you Fordies. I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool Chevy guy.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3507 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Ya know, a late model Dodge Cummins wreck would make a nice eng/trans donor, with all the wiring and computers and sensors, etc. I have several friends who love them. I wonder if the length difference between the Dodge eng/trans and the present eng/trans would be a problem.

Of course, Barths used to have bustles. Smiler

An then, there is the Duramax option. I woulda put one in mine instead of the 502 if they were available as donor vehicles back then. I have Duramax torque, but not Duramax mileage.

There are two hitches I can imagine with a switch to a diesel engine/trans. One is weight, and the other is length, which would also lengthen the moment arm, acting the same as more weight.

The later diesel engines need their mated transmission for all the computer stuff to work right, as well as to be legal for the smog police. Since the ones I mentioned are made for pickups, they might have long tailshaft housings, which could put the engine farther back than would be desirable. That brings us to consider using the present Allison trans, which probably has a short tailshaft, with an earlier 5.9 which does not require any input from the transmission. I wonder if the present Allison's ratios are suitable for use with a 5.9.

Will someone please buy this so we can all kibitz?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
But just out of curiosity, we've got Bill NY with a 33'/Oshkosh/460 gas puller and I don't read anything about weight or performance issues.
Currently, no issues with my Barth. It did (past tense) run warmer than it should have (not severely) until I changed out the T-Stat and Fan Clutch.

I also use Red Line Water Wetter too because Bill H swears by this stuff and, based on my observation, it seems to work. The water pump was changed out, but this was done because of a leak, not because of an overheating issue.

Performance? No issues to speak of. Cool I installed a set of Banks Headers and did a tune up.

I'll be changing out the electric fuel pump, located inside the fuel tank, this Spring. This is only being done as a preventative measure.

BTW: Jack has a 1989 Regal Puller with the 460 too. Maybe he will chime in as well... seeing that he's the person I mention earlier... You know, the guy from NH. Wink

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 7305 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill. Does your big Regal have 22.5" wheels? This one does. It looks like a Regency with a gas engine. VERY heavy duty!
Don ... tired from shovelling snow all day!

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643