Tools
Reply To This Topic

1987 Regency in Miss
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
I believe this ad is a good example of mis- information to deflect away from a known issue. Most diesels have a huge advantage in their ability to last, but the 8.2 Detroit is on the list of only good for marine use (ostensibly because when it fails it can be used as an anchor). Back to the EBay ad.

Read the part about the alternator melting and taking out the motor D'oh Really? I'm trying hard to picture this in my mind....the alternator melted and somehow took out the diesel?????????

I'm not saying the current owner is the "Fabricator" of this sham story, he could be a victim too, but I see so many of these justification lies it makes me sick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&hash=item3a6f9d8140

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is the same coach as here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
I'm trying hard to picture this in my mind....the alternator melted and somehow took out the diesel?????????

Corvairs did that.

sort of.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
The second engine picture looks a little out of place...!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Does the 6 speed Allison that it is advertised with match up to the dash shift lever?

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corvairs did that.

I didn't know Corvairs were diesels ROTFLMAO

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Did you miss the "sort of"?

If an alternator caused the belt to fail or flip, the cooling fan stopped. Soon the engine stopped.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I remember now. The belt makes all sorts of turns and is really long.

Sorry I missed the joke Sorry

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
You got it right, Bill. Give the guy some credit.
I have Dr. Yale's work order from 3 1/2 years ago at Cummins Rocky Mountain:
"...lost all coolant. Found radiator cap and radiator fill neck hanging off radiator on overflow hose. Solder bead had melted. Find overflow tank melted... Remove engine and replace..."
Invoice: $16,466.22.
I understand that belt had snapped.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald:
Does the 6 speed Allison that it is advertised with match up to the dash shift lever?

NO, I do not believe that the 3060 was offered for RV use until 1990 +/- but the shift lever is NOT for a 6 speed good catch.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Bill, had not heard that progression-to-doom in years.
Wrench, isn't the six speed Alli controlled electronically with a button pad?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes the 3000 series is electronically controlled and there are 6 different selectors available. Three are pushbutton and three are lever controlled. The lever controllers have a digital display showing which gear the trans is in along with a diagnostic display.

The lever controller shown in the add is not a electronic or digital trans controller.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/11
Picture of Manuel B
posted Hide Post
Besides the marine use the 8.2 Detroit was very common in school buses, the M35 and other military trucks, Ford and Chevy dump trucks, Chevy TopKick, boom trucks and many other commercial trucks, but it still has a bad reptutation among Diesel people.

Posts: 67 | Location: Alabama | Member Since: 04-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
the alternator... somehow took out the diesel?????????
Not unless the mechanic's name is Alternator.

The image depicted appears to be a 92 series Detroit Diesel. Here is a post I did where I labeled the 8.2L Pulleys

http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...391041233#9391041233

Now, here is the image from the ebay listing.

The image from ebay, 7th one down, shows a 92 series - most likely from a bus because of the 24 volt sticker that is shown.

Here is a random image of a 92 series Detroit.

On the other hand, the 6th image, in that ebay ad, is an 8.2 Detroit.

quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
The second engine picture looks a little out of place...!
Yep... You're right.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post