Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Craigslist>Memphis
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Minnesota has collector plates. A number of busnuts run them on the coaches. I did the same. The DMV argued with me that you could only use them for special events, but when asked to show me in the law where it stated that they had to back down.

The Law reads any vehicle over 20 years old not used as primary transportation. May not be used to commute to work. Must have another registered vehicle. Nowhere does it say any thing else about usage.

Wisconsin has a historic vehicle plate. When you convert a bus to a MH they issue an new title as the year of conversion, so you 30 year old bus is now a 2010 bus. (so much for the over 10 years old rule that some RV parks like to use.) Only problem is after a bunch of friends got their plates WI changed the regs so you could not use it in January. 11 months thou shalt labor and 1 month thou shalt rest.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The limitations on collector plates here in Wisconsin are not just the 20 year old minimum. The vehicle can not be modified and can not be driven during the month of January without a daily use permit. The one time fee for a collector plate is twice the normal annual fee. Not a bad price to pay considering I plan to use it more than two years. Given the amount of snow, ice and salt on the roads in January, I don't think I'll need to get a daily use permit either.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
FWIW, California says Vehicles manufactured after 1922 that are at least 25 years old are considered historic vehicles and are eligible for Historical Vehicle plates. These vehicles must be of historic interest, meaning that they are collectible and are used for exhibitions and car club meetings.

According to the California Vehicle Code, the car is of historical interest if "it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities."

You are permitted to drive the vehicle only in these limited circumstances: historical exhibitions, parades, or historical club activities.

I find it bitterly ironic that California, the state with the original and most active car culture also has the most repressive licensing laws in that area.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Marvin/Doris, our local (Madisonville) clerk of court told us that motor homes don't qualify for antique plates. Did yours tell you something else?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Scott Stewart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
Minnesota has collector plates. A number of busnuts run them on the coaches. I did the same. The DMV argued with me that you could only use them for special events, but when asked to show me in the law where it stated that they had to back down.

The Law reads any vehicle over 20 years old not used as primary transportation. May not be used to commute to work. Must have another registered vehicle. Nowhere does it say any thing else about usage.

Wisconsin has a historic vehicle plate. When you convert a bus to a MH they issue an new title as the year of conversion, so you 30 year old bus is now a 2010 bus. (so much for the over 10 years old rule that some RV parks like to use.) Only problem is after a bunch of friends got their plates WI changed the regs so you could not use it in January. 11 months thou shalt labor and 1 month thou shalt rest.
They denied me these plates at first Shields Up and said I could get my money back. But if I met certain criteria i could re-apply. The motorhome could not "currently" have 4 of 6 items.. 1 sleeping quarters 2 food storage (fridge) 3 power (Generator) 4 toilet 5 cooking quarters 6 showering ability. Seeing as the Barth was gutted I "currently" did not have 5 of the 6 Razzer And Wala 74BARTH Collector plates.

Scott Stewart
612-490-3399

Posts: 46 | Location: Minnesota | Member Since: 06-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Stewart:

They denied me these plates at first The motorhome could not "currently" have 4 of 6 items.. 1 sleeping quarters 2 food storage (fridge)

3 power (Generator)

OK, remove the genset and carry a little Honda in the toad.

quote:
4 toilet 5 cooking quarters

6 showering ability.

All Barths are not the same, but ours has a tub/shower unit. I would take off the shower hose and "telephone" head and just use the tub/shower as a tub. As it is, we use a washcloth standing up rather than a tub or shower, anyway. The shower is only used for rinsing, and temporary shower head could be put in when the inspectors were not likely to be looking.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
If you ever get into an accident just look up one of our members in the same direction you're ultimately traveling and set up a meet. Heck, invite a few more Barth friends for good measure. 2 Barths in the same location is a GTG in my book. Wink

Here is Rusty staying @ the "Bill NY Barth GTG".

And here is Rusty at the "Cagle GTG in Georgia".

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
I put Historic Plates on our 1977, the plates are good for 10 years and cost $30.00.

The State of Michigan says I can only drive it to shows and in Parades. So, while Jeff drives I wear a Tiara and "Barbie" wave every few miles. For awhile I threw candy out the window at other cars as they flew by us. Unfortunately, I threw out my arm. Jeff said I was asking for a littering ticket anyhow!! ROTFLMAO

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Ingenuity - Thy name is Barthmobiler

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
FWIW Jim, here is the website
www.tennessee.gov/revenue/form...g/certantiquereg.pdf . The vehicle has to be 25 years old, non modified engine and body and only driven to club activities (GTG), exhibits (put a show on in the Wally world parking lot), tours (always on tour, just touring the country), parades (see Jeff and Joy, crown yourself King and Queen of the Open Road) and similar. General transport only on Saturdays and Sundays (trip to the grocery store?). Costs 27.75 Dollar plus county fee. Now we had a 1960 Bus conversion, the Jaguar is one year too young and the future Barth will be a youngster too. java

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gary I did some investigation into this and here is what I found. I know this is from a while back so they may have better defined than when you did it. hmm

Collector Plates

Collector plates may only be displayed on motor vehicles (except recreational) that are at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935. At the time of application, the owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.

Definition of Recreational Vehicle Thumbs Up
84.90 OPERATING LIMITATIONS; RECREATIONAL MOTOR VEHICLES.
Subdivision 1.Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them:
(1) "Recreational motor vehicle" means any self-propelled vehicle and any vehicle propelled or drawn by a self-propelled vehicle used for recreational purposes, including but not limited to snowmobile, trail bike or other all-terrain vehicle, hovercraft, or motor vehicle licensed for highway operation which is being used for off-road recreational purposes.

If I stopped there and looked no further it looks like I could do it. But then if you look further it says below. My Deputy registrar is very well informed and I believe they know the below information. head bang head bang head bang Thumbs Down Thumbs Down

Subd. 27.Recreational vehicle. (a) "Recreational vehicle" means travel trailers including those that telescope or fold down, chassis-mounted campers, motor homes, tent trailers, and converted buses that provide temporary human living quarters.
(b) "Recreational vehicle" is a vehicle that:
(1) is not used as the residence of the owner or occupant;
(2) is used while engaged in recreational or vacation activities; and
(3) is either self-propelled or towed on the highways incidental to the recreational or vacation activities.

Motor home. (a) "Motor home" means a recreational vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters. The motor home has a living unit built into as an integral part of, or permanently attached to the chassis of, a motor vehicle or van.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I posted the MN info in 2010 for what I did in the early 90's. At that time nothing in the law about RVs of any sort. What I wrote is what it was. Probably updated over the past 30 years.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted the MN info in 2010 for what I did in the early 90's. At that time nothing in the law about RVs of any sort. What I wrote is what it was. Probably updated over the past 30 years.

That’s what I said. Minnesnowta keeps (refining) the law so there is no doubt you going to Pay! Squeeze every nickle they can….

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post