Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ebay: Engine-less '95-31' DP
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
What am I missing here? $4950 buy it now? I know the engine is toast but ???

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
There is much discussion about this motor home. It originally had a GM 6.5 diesel in it and the original owner had the duramax installed. Unfortunately, it was the early Duramax and someone did something that caused it to blow. The early Duramax engines had an injector problem but I wouldn't think that would cause the engine to blow. To install anything, i.e., a Cummins or a later Duramax, would involve extensive rewiring/computer work, etc. That being said, it's very nice inside but does have something in excess of 50000 miles on it. For someone who is very good at the mechanics, it would be an interesting project. The Spartan chassis has a 172" wheelbase. Do a 'search' and enter 'duramax' and you will get all 4 pages of the post.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If this had (very likely) the 4L80E tranny, in stock form, it wouldn't have been able to handle the Duramax torque. And as Jim mentioned, the early Duramax weren't celebrated for durability or reliability.

Nevertheless, this hulk would be a good start for a resurrection.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post