Tools
Reply To This Topic

1993 Barth on ebay 34 ft DP
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I guess I could bid 75k dollars for it and when I win, I can decline to buy it because it's not as advertised.

But why should I waste my time? What could happen then is the first place looser (next lower bidder) will get a second chance bid that would be inflated because of my insane bid. Not very fair for that person. Eeker

What should happen is the person who is selling it should "Do the right thing" but as of now it appears that Dana and Earl doesn't seem to "get it". I guess it's easier to claim they were ignorant and it really is a Regency because they were told it was.

If someone buys this, you know they will stumble onto our site, read this and feel betrayed. Earl and Dana will probably be hearing from a lawyer and then they could have some explaining to do. Eeker

This coach should be eligible for a "Buy Back" under " Ebay's Vehicle Purchase Protection".
quote:
Situations for Which Protection is Offered

~ Vehicle Purchase Protection ~
You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:

3. The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I received this reply from the seller. The only reason I'm updating this now is for continuity of this thread. If this was my auction I would re-list it and invite people to bid on it again... But that's just me.
quote:
Tried to reword my ad and it wouldn't let me. It said that the remainder of time was too short with too many bids. All calls I've had, I've told them the situation. If I need to relist, I'll make sure it's clear. According to one guy I talked to, my asking price is far below what a Recency OR Breakaway would go for.
I sent them the phone number of the previous owner and invited them to contact him for verification... I don't know if they did or not but I made sure I sent it thru Ebay's own system so it can be tracked.

The previous owner sold it thru this website a couple of years ago and he properly labeled it as a Breakaway. Somewhere along the line somebody pulled a fast one on someone and it's being improperly portrayed now on Ebay. This is why the Data Tag is critical for anyone contemplating the purchase of a Barth MH.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
As someone who uses ebay a lot, I think she may be right that editing at this point is difficult, but she could post your Question and give a reply (there is 1 question there now). I have also seen ads that ran a capitalized clarification after the description whenever something looked like it might be misleading. They only have 2 feedbacks, so perhaps they are naive to this. In any event, isn't it heading over the market price for a Breakaway already? I'm not looking at nada, but I thouht this would be about $20k or so as a Breakaway? (I was interested in the coach, but I'm thinking this might well relist with more accuracy) stringmann

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that. Here is their policy on adjusting a listing. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ls&item=220366250987
quote:
The seller may make revisions at any time during the listing period. Please take note of the following:
If the seller's item has received NO bids or sales and does not end within 12 hours, the seller can:

Revise anything in their listing except the selling format (for example, the seller can't change their auction item to an eBay Stores item). In addition, the seller is not permitted to extend the duration of a listing.

If the seller's item has already received a bid/purchase or ends within 12 hours, the seller can only:

* Add to the item description, add item pictures, or add a second category.
(Exception: If the seller's listing already has a bid/purchase AND ends within 12 hours, the seller can't add to their description, add pictures, or add a second category.)
* Add optional seller features to increase the item's visibility.
My rating is 286 at 100% and I've been able to adjust my stuff in the past. Did Ebay change?

You're right, the very least they can do is answer our question in the Q&A section. I wonder how many people went to the NADA site and got a figure for a Regency as a basis for their bid? Mad

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
Yes Bill, my ebay # and rating is identical to yours, but I've never had to 'adjust'; if I'm reading ebay policy correctly, it says they can "add to", but I meant that I don't think they can delete or change the word "Regency", so what they could do you and I noted previously. Perhaps I should have said 'should do'. It is now over $25k and hasn't met reserve. This should be pulled and relisted; or else this could lead to a real sad country song.

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The seller had better hope that the buyer is from another state. Preferably far away.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
The seller had better hope that the buyer is from another state. Preferably far away.
And they also need to hope that the buyer doesn't stumble onto this thread... Computer Here is the quote from above being played again. It appears to be their whole justification for ignoring reality.
quote:
According to one guy I talked to, my asking price is far below what a Recency OR Breakaway would go for.
It's odd how this "One Guy" has more sway than the original owner of this coach telling her it's a Breakaway. She has the phone number for him, I know because I gave it to her in writing thru EBay.

The cost difference between a 1993, 34' Regency 300hp and a 1993, 33' Breakaway is $13,000. My search was with no options checked on either unit and using low retail. It's not like it's even close.

Here is more info on when and how you can revise a listing. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sel...ons/revise-item.html

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
She has not responded to my query for either a picture of the data plate or info from it.

I think she knows what she is doing.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of izomage
posted Hide Post
It would be instructive to know how these coaches are described on the various state titles. Is the model type always designated ? It wouldn't surprise me if the title just says "Barth", lists the length and classification, RV / Motorhome, etc.. Lazy Days listed this coach as a Regency well after they knew it to be a Breakaway. I really don't remember for sure if the RV dealer in Jacksonville Fla listed this Barth as a Regency on eBay, but I think they did.

Posts: 57 | Location: Severna Park, Maryland | Member Since: 08-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by izomage:
It would be instructive to know how these coaches are described on the various state titles. Is the model type always designated ? It wouldn't surprise me if the title just says "Barth", lists the length and classification, RV / Motorhome, etc..

Mine is listed as a Chevrolet by California, which followed the Carolina reg it had when I bought it.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
She has not responded to my query for either a picture of the data plate or info from it.

I think she knows what she is doing.

If you guys know that this product is being misrepresented (which it sounds like you certainly do), you can report the listing to eBay. With less than a day left the report may not get anywhere in time, but at least it'll be on the record.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
If you guys know that this product is being misrepresented (which it sounds like you certainly do), you can report the listing to eBay. With less than a day left the report may not get anywhere in time, but at least it'll be on the record.
Report was filed by me on 2/25 at around 12 noon Eastern to Ebay. http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...?r=12910003#12910003

The reason I keep updating this thread with these reports is in case the new owner stumbles onto this site. They will be well armed with the fact that EBay was made aware of this and that the sellers had every opportunity to "Do The Right Thing" before then. Sadly, they have not... I wonder if there's a country song for getting taken advantage of? Roll Eyes

It'll be interesting to see if it does get relisted, how it will be portrayed the next time around.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I also contacted the seller in hopes that more than one person challenging whether it is a Regency or Breakaway would help them do the right thing. Their initial response indicates they no longer believe it is a Regency but they're sticking with that story to get more money out of the coach. I also brought to their attention they are liable for the laws of where they live and where the buyer lives.

A co-worker of mine is in negotiations (via his lawyer) with a dealership in Texas that committed fraud by telling him the 2006 Corvette he purchased had 1700 miles and had never been wrecked. It turns out the mileage was at least 2100 miles (at one point, who lies about 400 miles?) and it had been wrecked by the previous owner. The dealership used car manager had full knowledge of the mileage and collision history. It appears the dealership might have to pay my co-worker 3 times the value of the purchase AND he retains the Corvette. My point: It can become quite costly to deceive someone and the chances double when the internet is involved whether it is ebay, Auto Trader, craigslist, etc.

I explained this to the seller of the Barth and I believe the deceit is not out of ignorance.

I am in the process of trying to find a Ferrari that has been wrecked, and a Texas dealership that is willing to hide this information from me! Big Grin

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by towerguy:

A co-worker of mine is in negotiations (via his lawyer) with a dealership in Texas that committed fraud by telling him the 2006 Corvette he purchased had 1700 miles and had never been wrecked. It turns out the mileage was at least 2100 miles (at one point, who lies about 400 miles?) and it had been wrecked by the previous owner. The dealership used car manager had full knowledge of the mileage and collision history. It appears the dealership might have to pay my co-worker 3 times the value of the purchase AND he retains the Corvette.

That is an excellent good example of how dishonesty in selling a vehicle can backfire.

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Maybe she see the 3 Bill's (Bill from CA, Bill from CO, Bill from NY) and might assume we're all the same people. Big Grin ROTFLMAO

Is there no one else with a different name who can pester them besides us??? Computer Wink

Or just maybe... I'm all the same people and I've been perpetrating a hoax for these past few years. Roll Eyes Razzer

You do know that NO ONE has seen any of us together. Click

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis