Reply To This Topic

1996 Monarch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted
96 Monarch

quote:

IT'S A BEAUTY! This 40 ft Barth motorhome is the end of a breed! Quality throughout, this coach has been looked after by the owners. Features include a 400hp Cummins engine; full air suspension with engine brake; 6 speed Allision; 2000 watt inverter; new batteries; AMAZING COUNTER SPACE; jacks; camera; new rad; 16,000 miles on new tires; 10kw Kabuto diesel generator; window awnings...the list just goes on! If you want amazing quality and a coach that is all ready to head out

This item is located at
Westgate RV Centre Ltd. 1460 Byland Rd. WEST KELOWNA, BC V1Z 1A7

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's got the rare 8.9L/400HP Cummins! ROTFLMAO

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Great looking rig! I've never seen that paint scheme before... I absolutely love how every Barth out there is unique in some way or another.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Could you explain your laughing guy rolling on the floor, for those of who aren't familiar with diesel engines?

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Nick

Don't let this one get away. For the price I would put our new Monarck up against a similar year Bluebird anyday.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Ed, Nick,
Having owned them both (although later year on BB), the Bluebird chassis is far superior in almost every way to the various Barth chassis and shells. The interiors are very similar in quality, with the woodwork being a Barth win in almost all cases. I'm talking quality, not style.

Drive-lines are a toss up depending on likes and particular setup. Bluebirds tend to be overpowered, Barths underpowered. Most older BBs come with the two stroke Detroit. While it is powerful and fun to drive, you must worry about obsolescence.

High end Barths are great, but should not be compared with a real steel bus, they aren't.

IMHO, BB, Prevost, Newell, MCI and Foretravel stand alone at the top in the true bus category. Drive them both and you'll see right away. Both BBs and Barths are equally loveable though Big Grin

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Corey

Glad your back.

I just bought a 97 Monarch so I am a little prejudice on our new ride.

Hope to see you in Dec.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got a fantastic ride Ed, but there is a reason that the bus RVs tend to be 2 to 8X the price of the Barth in whatever era you choose. That said, the Barth is as close as you get on a conventional chassis.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Some of us have the Gillig Bus Chassis as well, so Barth did offer them.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottydl:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:

Could you explain your laughing guy rolling on the floor, for those of who aren't familiar with diesel engines?

The ISL 8.9L didn't go into production until '98, so it would be quite rare in a '96 coach. Late C8.3s could be rated at 400HP, but I don't think that was until electronic controls - also later.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Corey, are the true bus coaches monocoque construction or do they have a separate frame with some sort of modified monocoque construction?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the Prevost and MCI are true full-monocoque construction. In fact, this is why they don't get hydro levelers on them. The newer Wanderlodges (mid 90s and up)are a combination or "semi-monocoque" in that they have a heavy frame integrated into what is close to a monocoque perimeter. I believe the newer Foretravels are similar. The Newell is semi-monocoque, but unlike the Wanderlodge, it has an aluminum skin on a steel cage.

In my opinion, the full monocoque designs always ride better and have more storage (they're like a big cigar tube), but are limited in design for a RV (they were intended as commercial passenger haulers after all) due to the lack of an internal skeleton. This shows up in lack of hydraulic stabilizers and in severe reforming of framework for slides. As I hate slides, that part never bothered me!

I've owned a MCI, Barth and now the Wanderlodge. If I could afford it, I'd build a modern MCI, with no slide, as the ultimate compromise, but a late model Wanderlodge is the close second and saves me about a Million bucks!!!!

Another way to think about full monocoque is that it's a lobster (exoskeleton), all Barths are like humans with a skeleton with a whole bunch of "stuff" attached, the Wanderlodge is like combining the two.

Does that help explain it all?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Maybe older Newells, but not the new ones. No rivets, aluminum skin on aluminum cages and full isolation from the steel frame. Also they no longer use chassis grounds - a fully insulated ground system isolates all electris circuits from any metal.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks to the dealer, here's the data tag. He has a deal working on the coach but will call me if it falls apart. This coach is 2800 miles from me. Anybody driven that far to pick one up!!!!!!!

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We went from Whitehorse Yukon to Phoenix Az-- and that's more than 2800-- however we left it in Phoenix and flew back home.
And went from Whitehorse to Mancos Colorado for one we did not get.

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
In June I picked up our coach in upper Wisconsin and drove it back to Seattle, a little over 2000 miles. Not quite as far but still a pretty good trip.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post