Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help with possible Barth purchase
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I found a 1996 Barth that's in my price range, but the tag provides some interesting data that concerns me. I interpret is as follows:

May 1997 build. Monarch #32 in production. 1996 32' Spartan Mountain Master chassis. 1C layout. It is registered as a Monarch, and the interior appointments reflect that (Cherry/Corian). What's interesting is the chassis. It's a tag axle gas puller with a 454 Vortec (L29). It has 53k miles. 96 was the first year for the fuel injected Vortec. As the tag indicates, the unit has 19.5 wheels and fairly low GAWRs especially on the front axle. The 65lb. tire pressure is really interesting, meaning is uses a standard truck tire (8 tires total). The unit is clean and reasonably priced. I don't need to tow and actually like gas units since I understand them better. What do you know or think of this configuration?

Posts: 8 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 01-26-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm considering selling my 1997 25ft Regal in late spring.
You can search 1997 Regal
The fist topic will be
1997 Regal 25 19900 Cincinnatti
There is a full link following with photos and floor plan
I continue to improve this wonderful Barth
You can contact me if you have any interest
She continues to be under cover, runs great,well maintained
Hank

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Murphy, probably not a Spartan chassis. Probably GM. That would be a very late Barth. So, body construction probably differs from '94 and earlier. I agree that the engine would be advantageous.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dig dig
posted Hide Post
Hank

I'm a newbie and not sure about the best way to contact you. I'm definitely interested in your coach. Could you email details to me at londo2dw@gmail.com. thanks

dave

Posts: 6 | Location: Stoughton, WI | Member Since: 12-04-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Morgan, I think you're right. The chassis is probably a GMC P3500 motorhome chassis similar to ones used for GM Step Vans and School Buses. It's a pretty well-proven chassis but has lighter GAWR and GVWR ratings than the heavier Spartan chassis. It appears they beefed it up to handle more weight by adding a tag axle. One more piece in the puzzle. Thanks!

Posts: 8 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 01-26-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops... Mogan as in David. My bad Smiler

posted Hide Post
Analysis of this data tag keeps revealing interesting information. It shows the 225/70R19f tires at 65lbs inflation. According to manufacturer specs, a 225/70R19f is normally in the 95 lb. range at full inflation.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
There is some discussion worth noting here. The 19.5 inch tires used by GM were run well below their full load rating.

The tires are usually stamped as max 110 psi. However, the stock rims used by GM are only rated for 95 psi. My rims were stamped that way. Since most tire jocks will inflate to maximum to get the greatest load, mine came back from my local reputable tire shop at 110 psi. I pointed out the rim max and the tire shop owner was not aware of it! We lowered the pressure. This is one case where it is not safe to look at tires stamps only.

My data tag calls for 70 psi. It seems all the data tags call for lower inflation. I assume they were going for a softer ride but the numbers they use are low for a fully loaded coach, IMHO.

I have been running 80 psi in the front with 245/70 tires and 85 in the rear with the 8 x 19.5 stock tires.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5161 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank Joiner:
I'm considering selling my 1997 25ft Regal in late spring.
You can search 1997 Regal
The fist topic will be
1997 Regal 25 19900 Cincinnatti
There is a full link following with photos and floor plan
I continue to improve this wonderful Barth
You can contact me if you have any interest
She continues to be under cover, runs great,well maintained
Hank
bsparr@hotmail.com

Posts: 2 | Location: new holstein | Member Since: 02-20-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new set of 6 Bridgestone R187 8R19.5 tires last summer for my 1972 27 foot Dodge Travco motorhome and the installer put in 110 psi in all 6. On the ride home I thought I was going to shake all of the cabinets off the walls. I subsequently downloaded the Bridgestone tire data book and adjusted the psi down to match the cold inflation pressures recommended for the weight of my motorhome.

http://www.trucktires.com/brid...ghtTruckDataBook.pdf

I am still searching for a suitable Barth.

Posts: 2 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Member Since: 05-24-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great advice all around. The newest tires on the rig are dated 03/09, so will need to be replaced anyway. Now I know what to look for in terms of rim capacity and tire inflation range. Any more helpful information regarding the GM chassis in terms of durability and reliability is appreciated. Being one of the later models, I just want to vet it as much as possible. The NADA values of the 97s are lower than the 96s. I think it must have to do with going to the GM chassis since everything else appears to be equal overall.

posted Hide Post
Hank and Kevin... could you possibly get together and discuss this without hijacking my original post? Thanks.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
So sorry
Hank

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is some invaluable information should you locate a 1997 Barth that uses the GM "P" Motorhome Chassis like the unit I found near Indianapolis.
http://www.offroadtoybox.com/R...AlignmentProcess.pdf

Apparently the P Motorhome Chassis requires regular and careful setup and maintenance to perform well.

A couple of other facts from others sites:
1) According to one author, a 454cid motorhome engine is becoming "heavily used" after 75k miles.
2) The pre-1998 454 fuel-injected Vortec is rated to handle 16,000# maximum GVWR.

I'm not asserting these last 2 items, just reporting what I've found.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Murphy, thanks for posting a link to the good document.
If you are concerned about the P chassis and/or the GM 454, stay away from them.
However, they have been reasonably reliable, despite certain idiosyncrasies, in thousands upon thousands of vehicles.
What doesn't "need maintenance to perform well"?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post