Forums    Barth Sightings/Ads    High quality flat black paint?????
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

High quality flat black paint?????
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/1409815074.html

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
posted Hide Post
Well, it's close to what I'm looking for, in terms of size, and it sure looks like a Bustle out back.

But how the #$%&% do you get that paint ("high quality flat black"...) off of the aluminum so it can be polished?

Posts: 39 | Location: Seattle, WA | Member Since: 09-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Gorman Newman
posted Hide Post
Looks like the daddy of this one was a UPS truck....that is too strange.........

1995 Barth Mobile Office
P-30 454 23'
Data Tag 9505 S0002 23L 01

Posts: 61 | Location: Panama City Beach, Florida | Member Since: 08-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted on craigslist:
'73 Chevy Barth RV. Strong 350ci motor 66k mi. Sleeps 6, propane heat, stove ,
water, sink , refrigerator , toilet. Great 4 camping or hunting . High quality
flat black paint . $ 3.900 call 720 341 4586

quote:
Originally posted by Gorman Newman:
Looks like the daddy of this one was a UPS truck....that is too strange.........
The early Barths had a shorter front windshield. Here is a prime example of one.

Sans the high quality flat black paint that is... hmm
quote:
Originally posted by Roger in Seattle:
Well, it's close to what I'm looking for, in terms of size...
Roger... look for the PM that I sent you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gorman Newman:
Looks like the daddy of this one was a UPS truck.....

This is one of a whole fleet of black Barths. They were purchased by a black agency of the Feddle Gummint for crew transport to and from the SR71 Blackbird at Area 51 way back when it was a big secret project. They were all painted black to confuse spies with satellites and looky-loos with binoculars and cameras. The idea of painting them black was not to make them black, nor was it to make them all look alike. It wasn't even because they had lots of black paint. It was to eliminate their radar signature as they drove to and fro in the dark. They used the same special high quality flat black paint the Blackbird used, so they were practically invisible at night, and difficult to spot on the blacktop roads of Area 51. If you have ever noticed that there are no stripes down the middle of any of the roads there, it is so the Stealth Barths would be harder to detect on the blacktop.

These are the most prized of all Barths, as they also had a Banks dual-turbo 468 engine installed, with a Gear Vendors overdrive. Those naughty boys who like to go fast in their Barths love these because they are invisible to police radar, IR, Lascar, Vascar and even melt into the blacktop as seen from the eye in the sky.

Several of them have placed very high in the annual Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash of yore. One was first used as a chase car/support vehicle for the Skoda team, but it turned out that it was faster and more reliable than the Skoda entry, so the team finished in the Barth. By sheer coincidence, the driver of that Barth was Bart Markel, a motorcycle racer, whose nickname was Black Bart. He was known for riding faster on bikes others couldn't handle. Well, word got around, and the next year there were several other RVs wanting a piece of the action. The only one that came close was a Revcon with a Joe Mondello Olds engine. The Revcon was very fast due to its lightness and low profile, as well as the belly pan. Of course, Mondello's engine, taken from his Parker Enduro win, helped a lot, too.

But, I digress. The RV class was neck and neck until the Olds spun a rod bearing, a weakness of that marque, and the Barths swept the field. Sadly, a number of other RVs failed or crashed, and because of the danger of bad publicity, RVs were banned, and have never been invited back.

One of the Factory Barth drivers told me that it was a good thing, as the Black Barths were getting too fast for their own good, far beyond the potato chip truck chassis' capabilities. Some of the mods they did were picked up by IPD, SuperSteer and Hellwig, and can be bought today.

Buying the Black Barth would be owning a piece of history. Perhaps the last one, as most of the other ones fell victim of their own speed and got into the notorious P30 death speed wobble, a deadly combination of a yaw and a Dutch Roll. Barth knew of this, and also knew there was no escape, as each oscillation fed the previous until it pitched itself into the air to land in a 45 degree roll. So they fitted a Martin-Baker (no relation to the eponymous Erwin Baker of the Cannonball Run) ejection seat for both driver and navigator. If anyone goes to look at this, you can tell if it is the real deal by looking for evidence of a hatch over each seat. And if the H is missing off the end of the Barth logo, it will be the Crown Jewel of the Barth racing history.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
bill h, ..........looks like you were pretty deep into the sauce, .....................hell it's almost believable

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
That's right Dick, he's been there again. I know the signs. You ought to see when he gets into scientific theory. That's really scary.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
There was also another fact based account on this Barth too. Maybe Bill H. can F5 my mind.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was also another fact based account on this Barth too. Maybe Bill H. can F5 my mind.

Black Rock Desert, that's where a bunch of space cadets gather annually for some kind of GTG

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Gorman Newman
posted Hide Post
Bill h , what a great story of the history.........that is so cool. Thanks for that knowledge...incredible gorman

1995 Barth Mobile Office
P-30 454 23'
Data Tag 9505 S0002 23L 01

Posts: 61 | Location: Panama City Beach, Florida | Member Since: 08-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
bill h - via Rusty as an innocent conduit:

"We're watching you"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You actually had me until the ejector seat part.

1985 Barth Regal 28 footer
P30 Chevy chassis
454 big block

Posts: 17 | Location: Southeast Wisconsin | Member Since: 09-19-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post