Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Yuma Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We took the car down to Yuma the other day and saw this Breakaway for sale in a consignment lot on Fortuna Road. It was open for inspection and we had a good look.
Wow! this one is real nice!
After looking around on Bartmobile this morning I realized it was our Gary Carter's coach. I was going to put it in the Sightings section but since it's already posted here by one of our own I reposted it in the For Sale area.
If somebody is looking for a Breakaway they really should look closely at this one!
Don

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much?? There one in Illinois for about $14K. The prices have come way down - like housing.

Posts: 136 | Location: IL | Member Since: 08-25-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have contact information for this motorhome, we are in the market for one.
Thank you
Judy Joseph

Posts: 1 | Location: Owasso, ok | Member Since: 01-19-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Barthmobile!

We are also in Oklahoma...central Oklahoma.

Weve been Barth owners about 2 years. You'll love this site. Lots of great information and lots of sharp people who know everything about these coaches. The website is one of the the best things about owning a Barth.

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judy joseph:
Do you have contact information for this motorhome, we are in the market for one.
Thank you
Judy Joseph

Welcome to the forums!

The coach is owned by Gary Carter; his original thread is here.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sent an e-mail to gary last week and offered $15,000 but he let me know his bottom price was $25,000. It looks like his price is quit high for todays market. To bad I would have loved to have the coach.

Posts: 11 | Location: california | Member Since: 05-07-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I'm going to weigh on price versus value.

I don't know Mr. Carter personally but he has always struck me as someone who takes excellent care of a coach.

I have spent the last 2 years working on my Barth Royale that had sat parked for 6 or 7 years. Thank goodness it was a Barth and all the effort has paid off....I got a good deal on my coach, but I have spent in excess of $10,000, "sorting it out". That does not include any high dollar items like paint or interior (other than new carpeting.)
I've got probably close to $18000 in mine and it's not quite as desirable coach as Mr. Carters. From my experience, if Gary's coach was well maintanined, has seen constant use, is ready to jump in, bring my clothes and food, it would be a bargain at $25,000.

It's easy to drop $10,000 in a heartbeat on tires, batteries, belts, hoses, filters etc....especially if you have to pay to have the work done...been there...done that...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I have spent more than a couple thousand 'sorting out' my Breakaway after paying Dr. Yale's widow $20K for it last year. That was close to exactly what Dr. Yale had paid for Cummins factory Recon, tires, shocks and alignment just a couple years before. So, I will likely sell the coach this year for what I originally paid. That is, my one month-long trip to my sister in CA and back will have cost me a few thousand in 'sorting out' combined with fuel. But, it was a memorable trip.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I have met Gary and his wife and spent time in his coach. All things said about his care of the coach are true,it is ready to be purchased and driven on vacation. I also found it a great pleasure visiting with the Carters, wonderful, diverse and intriguing people.
My wife and I were ready to be the new owners of their coach but after visiting we realized that we have a moderately complex system to maintain, our boat, which always seems to require some attention or upgrade and the addition of another self-contained, self-powered toy could well stretch our capacity to maintain/modify into the capacity to enjoy, a decrease that should not occur. It took a long time to realize that in our case one can have too many toys. Were we 20 years younger I think the energy required to have such capacity would exist and this would be the coach I would choose.
When we purchased our boat we were lucky, it was nearly pristine and was 28 years old. Only later did we learn from others that the price of "best" is cheaper than a "good deal on a fixer upper."

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with both Gary and his coach (I've seen it in person). With a "base" price of $15,000, the approximate cost of upgrades should be considered:

Banks: $2000
Honda Generator: $3500 (I did the same upgrade)
Allison 2000: $3000
A/C Upgrade: $1000
Water System upgrades: $1000
Satellite dish: $1500

This is without considering the fine overall condition - the coach is basically turnkey. IMHO, $25K isn't unreasonable.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I don't have an opinion on this coach, but a lot of buyers are unwilling to pay anything near the full cost of extras or upgrades.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
devolo: where in IL is a Barth for 14K, compare condition, mileage and is it even a diesel? A car of mine is NADA low $5000, high $9800. Condition is all. Prices might have come down but I believe you can still ask a fair price for a good coach. Just sayin'.

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at this last winter in Yuma, it dose indeed have most of the things that mine lacks ( 93 105k 190hp, 4spd allison) would love to have more power ( easy to get) but that would require a tranny change. Decided to love the one I have at 1/2 the price and take my time, But if the power upgrade was important it would make more sense to sell and buy this one.

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Marvin, I think you'd be referring that of Greg, aka Scargo.
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...273970967#8273970967

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I'm familiar with both Gary and his coach (I've seen it in person). With a "base" price of $15,000, the approximate cost of upgrades should be considered:

Banks: $2000
Honda Generator: $3500 (I did the same upgrade)
Allison 2000: $3000
A/C Upgrade: $1000
Water System upgrades: $1000
Satellite dish: $1500

This is without considering the fine overall condition - the coach is basically turnkey. IMHO, $25K isn't unreasonable.
100% In Agreement - I've met Gary, and have seen his coach, when we had a GTG in Chattanooga Tn.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post