Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Allison at542r
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted
Anyone here had any experience with the Allison at-542R or at-545R transmission that has the retarder?

Seems like it would be an easy way to get some extra downhill breaking if used correctly .

Don't really want to go to all the expenses involved with changing to a computer controlled transmission, but would love more downhill breaking . In the long run the Allison 2000 swap might be cheaper, but I really don't want the computer. Decisions to be made I reckon hmm

Also looking into a low stall torque converter to help with engine braking and towing. We are happy cruising at 55 to 60 Tooling Along

On Another note , I am also considering converting my car hauler brakes to electric over hydraulic disc brakes.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 623 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Harold,
Concerning the converter, you might want to consider the BD diesel converter for motor homes with Allison transmissions A 540, A 542, A 545 SKU 1060200X, available from Watson Diesel Service. How effective it is I don't know but the specifics look promising, however "it aint cheap".

Good luck,
John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
CHECK THESE GUYS....70 YEARS IN BUSINESS WORLDWIDE:

https://www.telmausa.com/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a telma brake , but there is no room in the driveline on a 30 foot Breakaway.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 623 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post