Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1986 36' Coach available near Toledo
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I saw the following on Craigslist in Toledo. Not sure of which model it is, but may well be of interest. There are 4 photos in the ad.

Dan Snyder

http://toledo.craigslist.org/rvs/2887459824.html

1986 BARTH MOTORHOME*36 FOOT*DIESEL PUSHER 8.2 DETROIT V-8, 230 hp*ALISON AUTO 4-SPEED*REAR QUEEN AIR BED*DINNETTE BED*TIRES 85%*REAR HYDRAULIC LIFT; 1,000 lb. WHEELCHAIR, GOLF CART, MOTORCYCLE...etc.* 100 GALLON WATER*30 GALLON BLACK*60 GALLON GREY WATER*100 GALLON FUEL*100 lb. PROPANE*8,000 kw.DIESEL GENERATOR, 120/240 VOLT*NEW RADIATOR*NEW BRAKES*NEW U-JOINTS* SEATS 13, SLEEPS 6* $12,000.00 OBO*CALL (517)605 2599*MANY PICTURES IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE**

Posts: 21 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 12-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 8,000 kw diesel generator sounds great!

Posts: 21 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 12-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Dan, congarats on your purchace of Brian's coach. Brian was kind enough to bring it by and show it to me, even knowing I was more looking more than buying. Very nice coach.
The coach on CL is a Regency. built on the MCC chasie. If you reseach more on this chassie you will find that owner love the ride and handeling. Built on a 4 corner independent suspension.
This coach is listed under Barth sighting. This is the place for this topic. The for sale forum is for members to list their coaches.(info for newbees).
Welcome to Barhtmobile. WARNING...Just watch yourself it is additive.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Moved this post from our "Barth Coaches For Sale" and moved to "Barth Sightings". Also added a few images to the original post. Computer

Sightings are for listing stuff found in craigslist or a newspaper or something you stumbled across. The "Barth Coaches For Sale" is for members coaches being sold from our site. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of looking at this coach in the next few days. Any of you diesel guys got suggestions on what to look for? The GM 71 series diesels I know a little about but zip on Allisons and chassis stuff. This is an MCC chassis?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Check out this site on the D.D. 8.2. Lots of good info. expert diesel

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It appears the early 8.2 engines had 14 mm head bolts and problems. Evidently the fix was to go to 15 mm bolts. Evidently the factory switched at some point and rebuilt engines may have been upgraded as well.

1. Can these be identified easily by inspection?

2. What do I look for: size/style of bolt head? stamp marks?

More research to do..

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
A 14mm bolt has a 21mm wrench. If itis too small then the bolt is the 15mm.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent! It should be easy to find at least one bolt head to check easily. Any suspension quirks/upgrades that be identified also would be handy. Thanks. I'll be looking tomorrow or Tues if the rain quits.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Pictures & the data tag please. deadhorse

By now, you all must be rather tired of hearing the same old thing. Big Grin

Anyway... Good luck Steve!!! Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I went to see this coach today. I had a good chat with the owner, Steve Lyell. I have no reason to doubt what he says, he seems honest and he knows the coach. He bought the coach 18 yrs ago for 25k (great price back then, great story involving crooked lawyers, etc.) Odometer shows 112,964 miles. He is simply tired of playing with it but doesn't want to scrap it out. He is asking 12k or best and he would surely take less. (I'm guessing he'd go 8..) He has a good pull truck and recently got a good deal on a 5th.

About 30,000 miles back the radiator got plugged with dust, engine overheated and cooked. The replacement engine was not new but does have the desirable larger head bolt mod. He has not had it on any trips since 2010 but he drives it around his country home every 2 months or so. The radiator was replaced at that time also. In the last 3-5 years he replaced belts and hoses, u-joints. The engine fired right up, usual cold diesel smoke but ran smooth and warmed up, built air and moves forward and reverse. We did not drive it but he says it will and I believe him. The diesel generator ran as well. There are no apparent leaks underneath engine, trans or genny.

When the engine was replaced he kept the old turbo and air compressor. He also has spare belts, u-joints, brake pads and 2 new tie rod ends and numerous other things. The brake lines have been replaced. The Zip Dee awnings are in good shape. The leveling jacks are functional but balky at times. (Probably dirt and/or weak springs...)

This is potentially a diamond in the rough. Inside is messy but not trashed. Tires are all 05 Firestones with no sidewall cracking. There is no muffler, it has a large flex pipe where muffler was, and is not really very loud (turbo is doing the job I guess.) Batteries need to be changed. Numerous odds and ends, one windshield wiper motor is dead but he has a spare. The electrical systems are old and need attention. There don't seem to be too many cobble jobs, just old wires here and there. Didn't try the appliances, Steve says 2 of the 3 furnaces work. The water system is still winterized but he said it worked last summer. Paint is very rough on the outside and there is a lift gate on the back salvaged from a truck, non standard for sure but looks stout. He says it is attached to the Barth receiver and is easily removed.

He has been in touch with the MCC people in Illinois, replaced a bell crank and brake parts from them. There are full set of manuals and records, I didn't have time to look at all of them. The roof does not appear to have leaked and the ceiling is in good shape.

I believe this coach could be cleaned up and made right with not too much money but a good deal of effort. I would not hesitate to call Steve with questions, he seems honest and friendly. (We talked for 2 hours but friends who know me say I always talk that long) Wink

I forgot my usual camera (left it in my Barth) but I think these will do.
These are for Bill: (Looks like we already had some info but incomplete data...)

Here we go:

Left side engine

Right side engine

looking back where muffler should be

There are maybe a couple more at photobucket. (Now if I just had a pole barn and some more time...my wife would kill me.) wack

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I went to see this coach today. I had a good chat with the owner, Steve Lyell. (Looks like we already had some info but incomplete data...)

About 30,000 miles back the radiator got plugged with dust, engine overheated and cooked.

There are maybe a couple more [pictures] at photobucket.
Thanks for stopping by to look at it. Maybe saved someone from the travel or might have motivated someone to get in gear.

I've stated so many times in the past... a DD 8.2l will take zero overheating before turning into a boat anchor. Never ever overheat a DD 8.2l motor. If you break a belt or have a coolant leak, pull over, shut it down and pay for road service or a tow truck!!! You aren't close enough to a offramp/garage/rest area/gas station to "limp It In" even if it's 30' in front of you!!!

Here is Steve's photobucket link to his own folder where there are 27 images. http://s687.photobucket.com/al...arth_upload/SteveVW/

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I talked with the owner today. He will either sell the coach or part it out and will decide by next week. He would like to see it "go to a Barth guy" but needs to move on. He has shoulder surgery coming soon.

He figures scrap value is at about 6-7 k and would sell it for that... If I only had a barn and some more time...

He promised me all the manuals (a potential gold mine, they were quite complete) if he goes the scrap route. I will be scheming on bumpers and windshields as well.

This coach would drive away and be useful with some TLC and lots of time.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp