Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

eBay Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted

Posts: 35 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
This is the first clean later DP we've seen in a while. Someone will have to remind me where I've seen this one before. The first concern will be the short wheelbase, but I believe Rusty can attest to the handling.
I'll venture a guess that this will go for 30,050.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3689 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Methinks the lady doth Regency too much.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
The engine is reported to "look like a GM 6.5"

The seller thinks it is 250 hp.

Posts: 7397 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The owner of this coach had previously sought information about it back on April 25, 2007. Here's the thread http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6041087061/m/3971085942.
I emailed him at that time and had several questions that he really could not answer because he had only spent a few hours with the coach. At that time the auction was ending and he was arranging ro have the coach shipped to where he was in Utah. Also told me if interested he would put me on a list to inform me better on the details I was inquiring about when the coach arrived in utah and he could have a chance to get more into it and make me a sppecial offer to purchase. So far unless I accidentally deleted it, I haven't had any further contact.
The coach previously had been listed on ebay with a buy it now price of $49,995 which wasn't reached. From the listing, it would not appear the seller has gained any more knowledge of what he is selling than he had back in April. From Bill H's post it wouldn't appear he knows what type of an engine, brand, hp, etc. the coach has. The one interesting change is the part quoting NADA pricing, the previous ebay listing was showing 52,760 LOW and 63,570 AVERAGE and now in this new listing, NADA is shown at low retail "mid 30's" and average retail "mid 40's". Funny, Nada still shows the 50 to 60 range for Regency 1995. So where did these prices come from? One other noteworthy omission is there is now no mention of engine size.
I'm going to try and contact the seller through ebay and the other email I have and see if I can get more details.
From the pics, it is a very nice looking coach. Did anyone notice the gas and brake pedals in the photos? They don't look like the heavy duty variety I have seen in other Breakaways, maybe this is how Regencies are set up. They look like the more light weight systems of gas Regals.
In the former auction, it stated the wheels were 22.5". Does anyone know the height of a regency?
Using the 22.5 wheel as a measuring stick, this coach is "6 wheels" from pavement to the top of the roof which equals 135" or 11.25 feet. If in fact the wheels are 19.5 then the height would be more like 10 feet.
The coach must be roadworthy as it was apparently in Eugene Oregon and now is apparently in Orange California. The mileage of the coach has not changed to reflect the 900 mile trip, however.
Maybe someone in the area could visit the coach and give a more comprehensive report of exactly what it is. It sure looks very clean and well cared for even if we don't know exactly what it is.

1983 Mercedes 300 SD Turbo Diesel...
...Rudolph Diesel ran his first one on peanut oil, I use soybean in mine.
Looking for a nice Breakaway.

Posts: 21 | Location: Scotts Valley CA | Member Since: 03-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
isn't this the coach that everyone thought that someone had slapped on REGENCY decals on a Breakaway? To me the interior doesn't look like a Regency.Why cant they say which engine and horsepower it is?? Anyway it doesn't seem quite right????

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 119 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It ain't a Regency - it's a Breakaway. I doubt it has a GM 6.5L TD - AFAIK, only the '94 28' Breakaways had it, and there were, again AFAIK, only four of those made.

The wheelbase on the 32'/33' Breakaways is considerably longer than the 30's (172", IIRC) and of course, much longer than the 28's (146").

I've driven StaRV II 20K miles, and I park it only when crosswinds are expected over 40 mph. The larger coaches should handle at least as well.

The downside of this one is that there is very meager basement storage, sadly a characteristic of many Barths, with the exception of the '94 and later (if any) 28' Breakaways (which is why I'm hanging onto mine).

I seriously doubt the wheels are 22.5 - I've not known of any Breakaway with other than 19.5s. 10'6" would be about right - mine has 11'6" clearance, with the fan covers and A/C accounting for the extra 12".

I also doubt that the bed is a full Queen - mine is a "shorty", but I use Queen linens on it - just tuck the extra 6" under the foot - and there's plenty of room for me - and Casey, who beds down with me.

I also doubt the engine is 250HP - mebbe 230HP in a Cummins 5.9B, but no more unless it really is a 24V 5.9C, but I doubt it.

Like most dealers, this one is also clueless, and couldn't care less if he can move the coach. Frankly, with the superficial info he's provided, if it gets to over $23K, I'd be surprised.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8408 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
FYI.
The VIN # stated reflects this is a 94 and not a 95 as advertised

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 121 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
How do you tell what year it is by looking at the VIN #?

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
I googled the VIN number....
there are a number of sites like Car Fax that will tell you the year of the vehicle from the VIN. If you want to pay you can get the whole report on the vehicle.
Not sure what digit it is in the VIN that tells the year....

Ray

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 121 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The VIN is established by the chassis builder. My '94's Spartan chassis was actually built in early '92. It took Barth over a year to complete it (as mine is the prototype for the '94 28' Breakaways), finishing apparently in June '93. It's titled as a '94.

So if the title says "'95", it's legally a '95.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 8408 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I tried to Google mine ( 46GED0410J1041649 ) and got nothing. Carfax was willing to provide me the information for $24.99 but I get nada for nada.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rusty, not only because he's correct but my Stagecoach is titled as a 1990 even though Gillig built the chassis in 1988 or 89, I don't remember which.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

posted Hide Post
I asked the seller where the coach was so I could inspect it per his statement of satisfying myself as to its condition etc. Here's the response I received.

"Actually it is in Fontana California. It is being stored at Manheim So Ca Auto Auction, so unless you are a Licensed Dealer you can't get in. If you are then I will email you the address"

Any dealers out there who want to go take a look at it and determine age, condition, model so somebody interested could know what it is?

My guess is this dealer who has it up for auction on ebay thought he was buying a Regency and actually got a Breakaway. That may explain the huge 30% price fluctuation from the April ebay auction to the current one.

It's a dead ringer, except for color and "regency decals" of the red/maroon 95 32' Diesel on page 7 of the Barthmobile Gallery, too bad this one doesn't include a model designation.

1983 Mercedes 300 SD Turbo Diesel...
...Rudolph Diesel ran his first one on peanut oil, I use soybean in mine.
Looking for a nice Breakaway.

Posts: 21 | Location: Scotts Valley CA | Member Since: 03-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie Oil Mercedes:

"Actually it is in Fontana California. It is being stored at Manheim So Ca Auto Auction, so unless you are a Licensed Dealer you can't get in. If you are then I will email you the address"

Fontana is in San Bernardino County. It is closer to Los Angeles County and to Riverside County than it is to Orange County, where the ad says the coach is located.

Hmmmmmm and we have a used car dealer telling us that another used car dealer told him everything works fine.

I wonder why we can't read the license plate.