Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1989 Regal gas pusher
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We found a not too bad looking typical 30' Ford 460 Regal for sale recently ... Except for the fact it has the Ford lump mounted in the rear!
It looks like an Oshkosh chassis basement model and only has 51,000 miles on it.
The coach is a 7 hour drive from us and before we go for a look-see I would love to here from anyone with experience with one of these. Or any thoughts from any of our experienced Barthers.
I've searched the site and found only a few references on gas pushers.
I guess my main fear is "why are there so few gas pushers out there?" Was it a bad idea to start with?
Then of course we have to get by all the other issues that one finds with a 18 year old coach!
Thanks for any advice on this one.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Don,

FWIW, gas pushers may finally be coming into their own, and Workhorse seems to be taking the lead...

http://www.rvtradedigest.com/publication/article.jsp?siteSection=3&id=900

In years past, FMC used a Chrysler industrial 440...I think Foretravel offered some rear gassers for a couple years, as did Rockwood.
I remember some rear gas Bluebird school buses,(rear engine-front radiator) so maybe there's older GP Wanderlodges out there too.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I have actually seen a Foretravel 36' rear engine gas 460ci.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It's been done:

FMC Chrysler
Monaco Roadmaster, Chev, rad in front
Vixen Buick V6
Winnebago Spectrum
Ultravan Corvair and Chevy 350
Foretravel Ford
Barth Ford
Rockwood XL 454
Executive
Country Coach
Beaver
Allegro
Holiday Rambler 454
Vogue
Bluebird (5 only) V6, 454 and I6
Flxible bus chassis , Chev 235 six, Buick straight 8 165 hp
Workhorse.

The only issue I can see is cooling, and that is a matter of air flow and radiator capacity.

Is the radiator up front?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Bill and others, how do you think that would effect steering. Wouldn't it be like having a 12 foot over hang on a 14,000 lb Ford chassis.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't driven one, but if it should be a matter of axle weight, weight distribution, and moment arm.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The rad is in the back, the generator is in the front as per Breakaway & Regency.
It does not appear to have as long a rear overhang as a 30' Breakaway or 28' Regal for that matter. I read a post from Jack in NH that mentioned a 228" wheelbase on his 460 Regal. I would venture this is the same.
This one has a side isle and all in one bath and a rear queen bed. Up front is about the same as a 28' Regal but without the nuisance of the dog house.
Thanks for the responses.
Don
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
sounds pretty cool Don. As long as there are not any problems that come along with it sounds like a good deal. The John Deere/Oshkosh/Internation Harverster/Ford chassis were basement models so you have more storage and no dog house is a winner for sure.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told it has an Allison 4 speed instead of a Ford C6. One more gear would be good too, don't ya think? Wonder if it's the same as the Allison used in Breakaways?
Barth must have come up with an adapter plate to mount the engine to the Allison tranny. I don't know much about Allisons but I've not heard of one used on a Ford V8.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Up front is about the same as a 28' Regal but without the nuisance of the dog house.
Don

Interesting comment. I recently visited in a 40 ft Newell. The bedroom and living room were just like ours. Exactly. In between, there was more stuff to account for the extra ten feet of length. A two seat dinette, washer/dryer, more closet/pantry space, bigger counter, etc.

Kind of makes me happy with what we got, and its ability to go into smaller spots in rustic campgrounds where there are limits.

posted Hide Post
I think I would like a rear gas pusher, put it on propane and turbocharger like the big generators at work'

Posts: 4 | Location: Hays Kansas | Member Since: 03-14-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Very, Very ,Very few GAS pushers built and they seem to have engine cooling problems with the few that were built.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I drove one just like this about 10 years ago. Handling was a little sketchy but that's true of a lot of motor homes that haven't been attended to properly. In fact, it could have been this one. Couldn't get it to go over 50mph. I think Nick's comment is spot on.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
I would worry more about the weight. I don't remember if anyone actually weighed a gas pusher Barth, but I have an idea they are pretty heavy.

I would consider cooling just another challenge to be met if I really liked the coach.

But, some of that would depend on whether the coach would be a hobby or an RV. Or, a combination of both. Smiler