Forums    Barth Sightings/Ads    Is this actually a Barth?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Is this actually a Barth?
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
One more bit of interesting trivia...

I was told, by more than one Barth Employee when I was in Milford, that Barth made 1 Stainless Steel Coach. They didn't say if it was a Regal or a Regency.

They only built one, they said it was very heavy (Regency Maybe?)

Likely. Pretty heavy for a gasser.

quote:
and they went thru a ton of broken drill bits and special rivets building this thing.

LOL. Broken drill bits mean pushing too hard. Dulled bit means poorly selected bit, wrong edge angle, wrong back angle, or wrong speed. Stainless, titanium, monel, inconel, etc are buggers unless the proper drill speed, proper drill bit, proper force and proper lube is used by an operator with some instruction. They also wear out bits faster, causing dullness, which can result in too much force applied and bit breakage. It's all related. As the airliners started to have more and more of the metals mentioned, we had to buy better bits. We found that the bits that were best for stainless, etc, worked fine for aluminum, so we ended up with just one kind of bit. The imports just didn't cut it, if I may use a pun. I think we ended up with cobalt alloy steel bits with titanium nitride coating. We had a wax that we stuck our drill bit into before each hole. It came from Boeing, I believe. Still no fun.

I wonder if they were going after the Prevost look.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
I can still bring the ad up, but it might be in a cookie or something.
Did it say what year it was?

No, he didn't say. The ad is gone now so someone is probably hunting in it this weekend.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
This thread evolved from a simple inquiry about a pickup camper (which was obviously made like a Barth class C) and became a fascinating Barth history lesson. I wonder if most of the thread belongs in a different category.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/09
posted Hide Post
"But, there still could be a 2000, 2001 Barth by Keith Leatherman floating around."
Originally Quoted by Dick Dubbs

Ya mean to tell me Barth made yachts too? ROTFLMAO

Three Times A Charm
88 30' Regal John Deere
Hot Rod Lincoln
511 Cubic Inches
8712-3499-30J-A

Posts: 220 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. | Member Since: 03-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post