Forums    Misc. and Other Stuff    Climate exchange or a way to get you to pay more to pollute less?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Climate exchange or a way to get you to pay more to pollute less?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
Cars cost more to pollute less, so we pay more? The world changes and now dinosaurs are extinct. It is not mans fault dinosaurs all died, or is it? Does the climate change make us all pay more for the good, or is it a way to permit CEO's to get more money? Here is something that no one cares to address.
Climate exchange or a way to get you to pay more to pollute less?
If the ships did not burn the toxic fuel what would become the crude? Maybe pump it back in the ground and create earthquakes again?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
To me the biggest mess is the massive islands of plastic floating in our seas! Stop dumping trash in the oceans, all nations!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
To me the biggest mess is the massive islands of plastic floating in our seas! Stop dumping trash in the oceans, all nations!!
Litter is another topic, not exactly related to "Climate Change," but still pollution.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The topic of climate change, let alone mankind's contribution to it, is an extraordinarily complicated topic involving numerous processes we know of but do not fully understand, as well as unknown variables. It is far beyond the scope of this forum.

Suffice to say, global change is a given: several ice ages have proven that geologically. Obviously, we have experienced "global warming" ever since the last one. Also: mankind is changing the environment at a rate never seen before. Understanding the connection remains the trick.

Pollution is fairly easy to measure and trace to mankind. The effects again depend on the pollutant, the background normal level and the change due to mankind's contribution. The effects are not as easy to understand and measure.

So it is for groundwater, which we contaminate/extract at alarming rates. The great western aquifer running from the Canadian border to the Gulf is dropping 30 ft a year. The mighty Colorado, which carved the Grand Canyon, does not make it to the ocean.

Plastics at sea, ground pollution, water pollution, air pollution, and wasting of resources is what we humans do, there is no doubt about that.

As to the cost, do we mean personal cost in terms of our life quality, the environmental cost, the financial cost, effect on the economy and jobs, or the future of same, or scarcity of resources?

Our insatiable demand for energy drives much of our activity. Chemical energy sources have evolved but remain our worst offenders, bringing the carbon cycle into the mess, as well as mineral ash wastes. Investments in change here appear worthwhile to me. (Don't even get me started on "clean coal")

Personally, it doesn't matter whether we have global warming, are destroying ozone, or making acid rain, I can't personally sense these. Just visit Los Angeles on a hot summer day, or Denver. Compare to what it was 30 years ago. That's enough to make me want to avoid air pollution. Look at Lake Erie, dead in the 70's. The Love Canal caught fire... You can catch jumbo walleyes there now.

In a sense these topics ARE all related topics by their connection to man's carelessness. They all share a negative impact on the world around us. Why bear the cost of further destruction when we know how to do it better? hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Steve: EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve thanks for your hard copy here on Barthmobile.com! You and I have chatted over the years about the world we live in. Steve, you spoke the same comments. It is good to have the comments written down here. Most times I cannot comprehend as fast as you speak, but with written comments, it is easy to go back an read again. Thank you for Computer writing your comments. cheers

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why bear the cost of further destruction when we know how to do it better?

That is the fundamental question.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post