Tools
Reply To This Topic

Reality check
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
The warmest fall ever, a green Christmas and even more strange, the lake did not freeze until late Jan 3, (About a month later than usual!) Mother Nature has returned to normal. No snow at all until about Jan 1, now I have shovelled the Barth twice!

We had single digits and then briefly 33 today, snow will settle and refreeze like a rock. Normally the snow does not pile up that much, the wind blows it away. If I don't get it now it may be there till I get to Florida! confusion

Look, there ARE kayaks under there! Sure glad I loaded them already.

Won't be long till a Barth journey south. Tooling Along Cool

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Steve; Don't come down now. We have had two tornados in two days within 10 miles of our home and can expect the same this Sunday. Hurricanes in the summer. Mother Nature loves Florida...........Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Been a rather chilly January, with a few mornings in the upper 40's, and yesterday was crazy. The strip mall with our favorite thrift store had the roof blown off. Luckily it was just the tin over-lay and the structural roof held, so not much inside damage and no injuries.
Looking forward to seeing you and Liz, and you are welcome to stay here as long as you like before you head "south".

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone else does this, but as one who is not that keen on being on roofs, let alone slippery ones and trying to shovel amongst bits of breakable projections from the roof, I park with the front of the Barth slightly elevated. Then jack both front and rear, to reduce the snow and dead load on the springs during winter storage.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good idea to park off level, as long as you won't be running the gas frig. Much better drainage.

I use a broom to clear most of the snow. It is indeed dangerous, the roof is sometimes slick. Good way to break things on me and the coach…

I am not doing this much longer. I do not recommend it for man or machine. In the future I will go south earlier or I will get inside storage… deadhorse

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Glad we don't have to deal with the Breakaway this way--- it gets covered storage but not for protection from snow load. We definitely do not need to run the fridge here (Yukon) during the off season. ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Man, I just can't win. I had the Barth cleared out, honest. Lake effect started Sat PM we now have 24 more inches of snow. head bang

Can't tell it was ever cleared…

Yeah, just climb up that ladder and clear off that snow, no problem. head bang

Sometimes you can see across our lake, sometimes you can't.

How high can the snow get on the feeder? How low can the pine branch go?

Who cares? Let me out of here. Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is one of the reasons I left Chicago area 40 years ago! Got so tired of the blue fingers working in an unheated garage on my race cars!

I have become such as woos! Even No. CA is getting too cold for me. HaHa.

Also the freeways have become plugged, not by snow but people!

Good luck digging out Steve, Hope to see you all this year some time, not sure when, my race activity is getting way beyond the "hobby" concept. I have 9 races to work this year and more may be scheduled. Getting to old for this! Want to enjoy Barthing more!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain; it only got up to 63°F here today!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
It was 80 in Yuma yesterday....Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Todays high 29F

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like the pine branch can make it to the ground. Some of them in the front yard broke from the snow load.

We have had lake effect snow every day. We got 17 inches last weekend but no big headlines like out east. Six inches last night. Looks like Barth is sitting in a hole.

I'm heading south end of next week if I can still find the door… head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Steve, maybe you could use a reverse version of my hull cleaning method, with some mods. I use a long line, as in rope, (not B.S.) rigged with the head of a pushbroom to clean the botom. The broom is fastened in the middle of the line and the ends are made fast to each side. The line is long enough to allow the broom to traverse the bottom in each direction.
For your application I think I might fasten each end to a weight, 5 gallon bucket of sand?, to keep tension on the line so it doesn't ride over the snow or come flying off the roof to bean you. You will still need the ladder but only to move the rope/line over roof obstructions. Lot's of trips around the end(s) of the coach but no walking on roof.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think the best solution is to leave here before it snows. Next bet is indoor storage. Something will have to change here!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Well, duh! OTOH, we left FL after dealing with 75 mph winds in a trailer park to return to home to St. Chuck, MO. Next stop, tattoo parlor for a tat "I survived a gulf storm in a trailer park. Destin, FL 1/21/16"

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post